Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
But you gotta agree with my main point: the iPod touch proves that there is a large market for a non-converged (i.e., non-phone) portable wifi-enabled device (i.e., tablet, with a small "t").
You could also look at it the other way: there's also a WILDLY huge market for a tablet+phone in one device -- with the advent of the iPod Touch, the iPhone sales did not suddenly dry up ... nor even level off.

Both options are sound and valid. Hopefully Nokia sees that as well: the right path is not to do JUST one exclusively, but to do BOTH a phone based Maemo platform and a non-phone based Maemo platform.

Last edited by johnkzin; 2009-05-28 at 21:25.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
Yes, and I absolutely want you to have the device you want and that's why I quoted Peter. I'm not sure if it's my non-native English or why isn't everyone else getting it? I thought he clearly implied there will be multiple devices and that's why I said you still shouldn't lose hope.

"...considering that we haven't even said what which Maemo device will be." and the talk about a lead device to me seems that there are more than one.

Of course, it might just be me imagining stuff between the lines.
My take on it is that the Maemo Unit hopes there will be multiple devices, but they are starting with the smartphone. If it succeeds, then we'll see more devices, maybe including a bigger-screen non-phone tablet. I suspect there is no such tablet planned or scheduled yet.

So we may have a good delay, after launch of the N900 phone, before it comes out, if ever. I think that's a shame since they already have a community based on a tablet and I believe there's a larger market that would want such a tablet (but not want the N900 phone) if it were marketed properly. (I especially think it's a shame since it's what I want!)

So I haven't lost hope! I just don't like to see Hope Delayed. Thanks.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
Yes, and I absolutely want you to have the device you want and that's why I quoted Peter. I'm not sure if it's my non-native English or why isn't everyone else getting it? I thought he clearly implied there will be multiple devices and that's why I said you still shouldn't lose hope.

"...considering that we haven't even said what which Maemo device will be." and the talk about a lead device to me seems that there are more than one.

Of course, it might just be me imagining stuff between the lines.

Well since nothing is confirmed, this is what we are all doing. Some just have more trust, while others feel screwed over, and some are happy with the leaked information.

I personally would be happy with a 3g modem, but its not a have to have. And I certainly would not want it, if it means shrinking the screen. They have done a good job with DUN so far, so shrinking the screen to provide functionality I already had is not optimal for me.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
You could also look at it the other way: there's also a WILDLY huge market for a tablet+phone in one device -- with the advent of the iPod Touch, the iPhone sales did not suddenly dry up ... nor even level off.

Both options are sound and valid. Hopefully Nokia sees that as well: the right path is not to do JUST one exclusively, but to do BOTH a phone based Maemo platform and a non-phone based Maemo platform.
Exactly!

message not too short now1

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
So we may have a good delay, after launch of the N900 phone, before it comes out, if ever. I think that's a shame since they already have a community based on a tablet and I believe there's a larger market that would want such a tablet (but not want the N900 phone) if it were marketed properly. (I especially think it's a shame since it's what I want!)
Actually even though I want me Tablet and need to have my phone too on it - I still will be part of this very same community - since I still consider the N900 with a 3.5" screen as a tablet - albeit a smaller one - as I still have Maemo on it, can still run all the apps as I do now on my N810 and enjoy the benefits of Maemo 5 as well. The only difference - pluses for me - is I get a better camera too and a voice phone too.

So don't exclude all us guys who want the N900 (provided we can afford it) from the "community". And when you get your version of the tablet - a 4" screened one without voice - we will still be a part of the same community - maemo.

BTW, when you said there will be a larger market for the tablets - if you are talking outside of the community - then I think the larget market is always for the phone device rather than tablet only - as tablet only audience is always a limited niche market.

I do feel for you - in that your anticipation of a new tablet is now being delayed.

Last edited by nilchak; 2009-05-28 at 21:45.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Actually even though I want me Tablet and need to have my phone too on ti - I still will be part of this very same community - since I still consider the N900 with a 3.5" screen as a tablet - albeit a smaller one - as I still have Maemo on it, can still run all the apps as I do now on my N810 and enjoy the benefits of Maemo 5 as well. The only difference - pluses for me - is I get a better camera too and a voice phone too.

So don't exclude all us guys who want the N900 (provided we can afford it) from the "community". And when you get your version of the tablet - a 4" screened one without voice - we will still be a part of the same community - maemo.
Hey, I think all you young, good-eyesighted, phone-loving, money-splurging guys and gals should be in the community too!

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-05-28 at 21:48.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I blame apple. If they would have made the iphone/touch with a 4" screen, we wouldn't be having this conversation

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Our very community here now commonly watches movies and shows on 4" screens. Movies and shows that--only a few years ago--we would have watched on big, living room TVs.
Yes. And it isn't just because you can't lug your home TV around in your pocket. My daughter has, on several occasions, asked to watch a movie on the tablet rather than the 50" screen in the living room.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
The problem with the phone is that making it have a phone radio embedded (and likely locked, and very, very likely not compatible with the service I prefer or already have, and farther more likely to make the unit needlessly more expensive if I decide not to use said radio) ...which makes it a smartphone--not the type of tablet device that we all bought and loved with the freedoms we want in such a very portable computing device.... this rumored unit strikes me as a crippled device on price and possibly architecture... I'm strongly reconsidering the Pandora since it [has] an aim to make things more open, not less... the near-laptop freedom the previous Internet Tablets gave us--this appears to me like a major step backwards for the community built around a Linux tablet and to the idea of using any software or carrier that we want to use on our small device.
I just want to point out that nothing in the Fremantle SDK nor the oFono documents indicates that anything will be more "locked down" or that we'll be losing any freedom. The open source O/S is exactly what makes this device so disruptive! Yes, this will have a smartphone form factor, but it really isn't a smartphone. For instance, it will run OpenOffice much more quickly than our current tablets. Yes, I said OpenOffice. Do you know any smartphones that can run full desktop versions of popular office suites?

If the leaked docs are true, this will be a handheld laptop that is also a phone.

Having said all that, I agree that the new radio will drive the price up somewhat, and I probably won't really use it since data is so expensive in Canada. Oh well.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
I blame apple. If they would have made the iphone/touch with a 4" screen, we wouldn't be having this conversation
If that was the only difference with the iPhone/iPT, I still wouldn't have bought it.

For me to buy it, I'd want:

* a physical keyboard
* access to the Unix layer
* a SIGNIFICANTLY more open application ecosystem

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I just want to point out that nothing in the Fremantle SDK nor the oFono documents indicates that anything will be more "locked down" or that we'll be losing any freedom. The open source O/S is exactly what makes this device so disruptive! Yes, this will have a smartphone form factor, but it really isn't a smartphone. For instance, it will run OpenOffice much more quickly than our current tablets. Yes, I said OpenOffice. Do you know any smartphones that can run full desktop versions of popular office suites?

If the leaked docs are true, this will be a handheld laptop that is also a phone.
Most of the articles centering around open-source phones have pointed out the issue of carriers REFUSING to permit an open stack to touch the radio at all. I sincerely doubt that an omission of the intent to close the radio off from applications is the same as stating an intent to have it open. The idea that it can run an office application is cold comfort for those whom do not wish to switch carriers just to have a newer, more modern pocket sized tablet computer in the footsteps of the 770 and N8x0 family. Not to mention that most Palm devices (including the T5, TX and the Treos for examples) have been able to comfortably run DataViz Office To Go for at least the last 5 years (an MS Office compatible suite which allows you to view, create and edit MS Office compatible word processor, spreadsheet and presentation files). I'm not particularly impressed by that example.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Having said all that, I agree that the new radio will drive the price up somewhat, and I probably won't really use it since data is so expensive in Canada. Oh well.
I'm still very disappointed that it didn't go the route of a module so you can pick the type of radio/carrier you want to use--or not use any at all and leave the interface and space open for some hackery or other upgrades you could buy. My MAJOR complaint against carriers is the same as yours, precisely, on price.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile