Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
If that was the only difference with the iPhone/iPT, I still wouldn't have bought it.

For me to buy it, I'd want:

* a physical keyboard
* access to the Unix layer
* a SIGNIFICANTLY more open application ecosystem
I don't doubt it. I just meant that we'd have 10 million plus users out there with a 4" low resolution touch screen phone (a proven market). That being the case, the new Nokia phone would have a 4" screen instead of a 3.5" screen. Then for the most part we'd be arguing only about the phone part, not all this other stuff (niches, screen size, use cases, etc).

On the whole probably 90% of the community would be happy (or grudgingly so) instead of the current condition.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by totololo View Post
I never found a handheld device running Linux as smoothly and pleasantly as Maemo on N8xx.
I can understand that you may consider Maemo as a castrated Linux ... maybe you would prefer a device with a "full" Linux and a UI not really usable on small screens, a power management that would give you a generous 2 to 3 hours battery life at best, and most of the numerous applications in the repositories that would be unusable because of display or power issues.

Today, having a very small handheld or even pocketable computer still implies some sacrifices. Maemo is an OS extraordinary well-balanced between size, function, power, ergonomy, battery life ...

By chance, now, if you really need a full linux in a very small device, you can find a UMID and try to install your favorite Linux flavor on it. The user experience would not be the same at all, but it may be more suitable to your needs !

Sorry if the words "spoiled children" hurted you ... i didn't intend to hurt anybody ... but when people whine because they just cannot get what is still impossible to get ... these are the first word that comes to my mind.

Congrats for your 2681th post too !!!
I can have a full linux experience right on my 810 right now, it works GREAT. I can print, I can burn CD's. The best thing about maemo's interface was that it was open to be easily replaced.

As far as your spoiled children remarks, again, I was not upset by it, I was confused by it. If you only buy Ford F250 trucks, then when you go to another truck and the only Ford truck is available is a Ford Ranger.

You may be mad
You may say I will buy a Chevy or GMC
You may go WOW, thats a sweet little truck (if your a girl )

So these all seem like valid expected responses to the change. Calling people children for being upset about changing something they have been using for years doesn't make sense to me. It just seems your stooping to the exact behavior you point out.

But then again you did say we

Originally Posted by totololo
we behave like spoiled children

I am just saying no need to act surprised or shocked by people being passionate. I can understand people who may want this. I am just not one of those people.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Most of the articles centering around open-source phones have pointed out the issue of carriers REFUSING to permit an open stack to touch the radio at all. I sincerely doubt that an omission of the intent to close the radio off from applications is the same as stating an intent to have it open.
Nokia has never been the manufacturer before. We'll see how this plays out

....for those whom do not wish to switch carriers just to have a newer, more modern pocket sized tablet computer in the footsteps of the 770 and N8x0 family.
Oh, if only Nokia sold unlocked devices with no tie-in to carriers!

Not to mention that most Palm devices (including the T5, TX and the Treos for examples) have been able to comfortably run DataViz Office To Go for at least the last 5 years
You're right. Palm's Office To Go is exactly like the full OpenOffice suite.

If my example was too weak, go browse here or here for some other apps that you'll be able to run on your "locked down smartphone" (at 3x the speed of the current tablets!).

Oh and did you notice that these new devices have video out? How sweet will that be for doing PowerPoint from your handheld?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Most of the articles centering around open-source phones have pointed out the issue of carriers REFUSING to permit an open stack to touch the radio at all.
My reading of the point of oFono is that it's designed to exactly meet that requirement. The closed-source, binary blobs talk to the radio, but then use an open standard API, via dbus, to be controlled from open source code sitting on top (and, of course, closed source "differentiating" apps on top of that open source code!)

Nokia making Maemo a closed, locked down platform would be almost suicidal (for Maemo, not Nokia ;-)).

If for no other reason than Fremantle's primary differentiators are its openness. Harmattan's UI may be as polished as the very best examples in the mobile space and so they can try and differentiate there, but the expectations on Fremantle#s UI have been carefully managed (although it should be an order or two of magnitude better than Diablo).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Best still, provide an empty cavity for a radio module and let people buy a module for whatever carrier they wanted and make the interface to that proprietary hardware module remain open as a network device or a PPP connection (like a lot of EVDO USB devices often do).
But isn't this exactly the status quo we enjoy today with tethering thru BT DUN? I tether everyday at work, and I place my cell phone at an extreme corner of my desk with the best reception while my tablet roams, no 'roves', around my cubicle and the surrounding area as I see fit. In situations like this, a tablet separated from the gsm radio makes a lot of sense. Having time to ponder recent developments I am leaning towards getting something like a MIFI and hoping that Mer unlocks untapped talent within my N800...

The Following User Says Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
Yes, and I absolutely want you to have the device you want and that's why I quoted Peter. I'm not sure if it's my non-native English or why isn't everyone else getting it? I thought he clearly implied there will be multiple devices and that's why I said you still shouldn't lose hope.

"...considering that we haven't even said what which Maemo device will be." and the talk about a lead device to me seems that there are more than one.

Of course, it might just be me imagining stuff between the lines.
I agree, I also believe there will be other Maemo 5 devices. Welcome a board.

If you don't mind me asking. How much are you willing to pay for a 3.5", phone device and how long do you expect it to be relevant?
That is, for how many months would you expect it to be your primary communication device before needing to upgrade or otherwise change handsets?

Oh and please don't mind the many pages of ruminations over things that we have no control over and will eventually not really matter much anyway... It's what we do.

You come at a good time and may very well be one of our first phone centric members. Stick around, your help may be needed as many more join this forum and our community grows.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-05-28 at 22:28.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Nokia has never been the manufacturer before. We'll see how this plays out
...how this plays out with... T-Mobile? I'm not switching carriers for this drama to play out with my money. :P

Oh, if only Nokia sold unlocked devices with no tie-in to carriers!
Are any of those running Linux? Can I use a radio that my current carrier supports? I'd be fine if it didn't have a radio at all. The only thing that meets the IT criteria that isn't going to be locked to a carrier is the older tablets unless I want to pay for the radio I'll probably never use on the new device.

You're right. Palm's Office To Go is exactly like the full OpenOffice suite.

If my example was too weak, go browse here or here for some other apps that you'll be able to run on your "locked down smartphone" (at 3x the speed of the current tablets!).
This seems irrelevant to the conversation, though I can't help saying that watching dripping tar drip three times faster is still only three times faster than slow and not necessarily fluid enough to be called fast.

I'll take all the speed I can get on a small tablet, mind you. It's still not exactly a selling point for this particular unit if other systems are coming out that will also use the same or newer OMAP and are likely to be able to run a Linux kernel as well.

Oh and did you notice that these new devices have video out? How sweet will that be for doing PowerPoint from your handheld?
That's ALMOST a convincing selling point--except that almost everything coming out lately has this 'me too!' feature. (Not a complaint.. just saying that it doesn't convince me to buy this unit versus a Pandora or anything else that already has a video-out as well, without forcing the cell carrier's hardware on my purchase).

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
This all practical, real-life experience. At the moment all that "convergence" stuff is purely virtual to me. Maybe in a year or two I'll see the light and change my mind, but for now it does sound like somebody else pushing their own interests, rather than mine...
Wow! What a post! Thanks for your thoughtful and detail response. It's interesting getting to know information about individuals rather than just hearing their personal dogmas.

I can understand your perspective. I too have a netbook and a desktop that I use in addition to my tablet. I will probably ditch the netbook and get a proper notebook very soon (the dell studio 14z looks perfect for me).

And yes, I agree that the N900 (despite the idea of convergence) isn't to replace all of these devices! But it can still do the job of the tablets before it, a mobile phone, and a point-and-shoot camera.

But as before, I still believe that many here will come to love the new device for its augmentation of capabilities. Of course, this is only a personal guess, and should be taken as such.

.. oh, and yes, I think it's safe to say that Nokia is pushing it's own interests: its bottom line! But then again, aren't we all?

YARR!
}:^)~
CosmoCorrupt

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
My reading of the point of oFono is that it's designed to exactly meet that requirement. The closed-source, binary blobs talk to the radio, but then use an open standard API, via dbus, to be controlled from open source code sitting on top (and, of course, closed source "differentiating" apps on top of that open source code!)
Ahh.. that makes me feel at least a LITTLE bit better about the openness. Seems more like the firmware blobs architecture that Linux uses in open-source driver modules. It still doesn't resolve my issues with buying a piece of hardware tied to a particular carrier, though.

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Nokia making Maemo a closed, locked down platform would be almost suicidal (for Maemo, not Nokia ;-)).
Unless Nokia sees a reduction in sales or a competitor benefitting because of said lock-down.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Sorry, but you are not making any sense. No matter how you rotate the screen, it will still have the same area, same number of pixels, so the amount of text will be the same.
800x480 is not the same as 480x800.

In fact, I would suggest just that. Unless you really want real keyboard or Linux, go for 5800 now.
That, and more. OMAP3, for example. X, for example. Full UNIX stack, for example (as good as it gets with all the embedded versions).

A gadget is only as powerful as its applications are. So, I would not get particularly ecstatic over that OMAP3. Not until you see how it is used.
What do you mean? What applications do you fear will be missing on Maemo 5 which Nokia 5800 provides? I'd rather compare it with Nokia N97, iPhoneOS, and Android.

As long as you have e.g. RDP/VNC/NX and WWAN you can even run such applications remotely saving you local resources. But these applications, running local or remote, are not optimized for the screen size...

On S60 read-only of MS Office/OO.o is free with Quickoffice.

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile