Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by jandmdickerson View Post
Yes our community is fickle and as qgil says we are not consistent. I cannot blame Nokia for taking the drivers seat.
I beg to differ. Go check out all the polls in the recent 48 hrs. You will see a greater than 85% majority for the larger screens. See the response of almost 1000 posts in 2 days. The community definitley wants a larger screen. The problem is some people think that some of the community is against a maemo phone. But that is only if nokia gives us a maemo phone only without the tablet. But if nokia stays loyal to the tablets and releases another maemo tablet i think everyone will be absolutely happy.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Everytime I read all the post from the Nokia folks I could not help but think "Thou does protest too much!" and so I think they have confirmed our fears:smaller screen, no tablet anytime soon.

I dont want a small screen by either having advertisers taking it or having it physically reduced.

However, I did not see a similar poll before this announcement, or non-announcement, so its hard to compare consistency in our community wants.

Last edited by Paxicide; 2009-05-29 at 04:33.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
I agree with you a little, but I would still have a larger screen and ads rather than a smaller screen. I mean, when you are watching a move, it is not like an ad is going to pop up. And iPhone users have been putting up with small ads in apps for ever.
Besides-- what keeps ads from ultimately taking over the smaller screen?

Nothings for sure but why give up the war when you merely lost one skirmish?

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by magog View Post
Okay, okay - fair play. I know I could learn all the bash-isms (I do use Ctrl-R already), and I know I can edit .inputrc and .vimrc to remap the keyboard.

I'd rather not be forced to learn (or design) a completely new set of basic cursor movement keyboard shortcuts for every single application when every other Linux computer has arrow keys.

But y'all are right - I could probably find work arounds. Just not sure that I want to.

Michael
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
That still seems kind of backward to me ... hjkl is the standard (not the work-around), going back to the pre-linux days of unix. If a terminal driven application doesn't support that (*cough*emacs*cough*) it's faulty :-)
Some (probably most?) of us were fortunate enough to start using Linux this decade - I have never seen a Linux device with a planar UI (text or graphics) that didn't have something that functions as arrow keys (Although the SmartQ 5 and 7 appear to be that way‽)
As such the idea of learning a bunch of sets of alternate navigation keys that various apps might provide is very unappealing to me. In fact because of this and the other things I wouldn't know how to do without arrows, I might very well consider it a dealbreaker if there really is no equivalent on at least one of the new devices - and I've seen mixed evidence. An official Yes or No (without details) would be really awesome.
Note however that this is from the perspective of using my tablet as a laptop replacement sometimes - to me it's a Linux computer.

Slightly off-tangent: emacs and vi, Not to start a flamewar but I personally find them both unusable. To me an application with a UI fails if a new user who accidentally typed the command could not be reasonably expected to figure out how to even exit without looking it up. Nano is the second thing I install on a newly flashed tablet after root access. That said I believe that people who are used to those programs can use them very efficiently compared to me and my 'user-friendly' choice - I just want my intuitive arrow keys.

Anyway, for my musical contribution to the thread, I have had this in my head for a while - seems to cover the mood here pretty well:
Originally Posted by Tears For Fears
Shout, shout, let it all out, these are the things I can do without
Come on, I'm talking to you, come on

In violent times, you shouldn't have to sell your soul
In black and white, they really really ought to know
Those one track minds that took you for a working boy
Kiss them goodbye, you shouldn't have to jump for joy
You shouldn't have to shout for joy

The Following User Says Thank You to davidgro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by davidgro View Post

Anyway, for my musical contribution to the thread, I have had this in my head for a while - seems to cover the mood here pretty well:
Sorry, but I haven't liked the lyrics that are being quoted in this thread (except for the Dylan).

The song going thru my head is one that I first heard (In English) in a Moscow record store, LOUD! Most of you have problably heard it, it's the one with the repeated lyrics: "Burn, mfkr, burn." You can probably decode that -- hey, this is a family site!

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
...The song going thru my head is one that I first heard (In English) in a Moscow record store, LOUD! Most of you have problably heard it, it's the one with the repeated lyrics: "Burn, mfkr, burn." You can probably decode that -- hey, this is a family site!
I do hope that's not an assessment of the thread
(At least my song is just about a bunch of yelling )

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
800x480 is not the same as 480x800.
It is the same, as far as amount of displayed text is concerned.

That, and more. OMAP3, for example. X, for example. Full UNIX stack, for example (as good as it gets with all the embedded versions).
As I said before, unless you are bent on having Linux and have specific preference to certain chipsets, go for Nokia 5800. Believe it or not, there are very few people who absolutely want a specific chipset and operating system in their phones. In fact, there must be fewer such people than the ones reading books on their devices.

What do you mean? What applications do you fear will be missing on Maemo 5 which Nokia 5800 provides? I'd rather compare it with Nokia N97, iPhoneOS, and Android.
Well, reiterating what I said before (it does not appear to sink in) N97 and 5800 are essentially the same thing, so you can just as well compare with 5800.

Now, I have not seen Maemo5, but judging from Maemo4, we are at the very least going to be missing a functional mail client (Modest is a sad joke), decent music player (builtin Maemo4 player is...mm...simple), reliable GPS, office apps, PIM, and the mapping application (S60e5 has got Nokia Maps).

As long as you have e.g. RDP/VNC/NX and WWAN you can even run such applications remotely saving you local resources. But these applications, running local or remote, are not optimized for the screen size...
You are getting desperate, you know? I am not even sure what you meant with that. What does RDP/VNC have to do with the daily mobile device use routine by "normal" users?

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
The faster OMAP3 hardware should allow for emulator games! I know the N8x0 can kinda do them now, but they are not without their issues!
May I ask how you are going to control games on a device missing the dpad? hjkl?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by fms View Post
May I ask how you are going to control games on a device missing the dpad? hjkl?
Oh come on, that's easy. It has an accelerometer! Just use the whole device like a Wiimote!

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile