Active Topics

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Bradford, (England)
got a better GPS than n810 though

The Following User Says Thank You to Yaser88 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
You're correct that just hardware supremacy is not enough. You need to add it something of perceived value on the service level. Millions of apps from Maemo repositories, Ovi/iTunes style content, geo/social mashups, you name it, the bottom line is you need something extra.
Timely updates for security issues and buggy software....Oh, wait

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by derhorst View Post
Mer is the future and SmartQ 5 seems like a good candidate for a Mer lead-device
Well, one of the points of Mer is to not -have- a lead device. We focus on the platform, and then hardware development is on top of this.

I'll keep my N800 for nostalgic reasons, though.
My mobile device will be Nokia (with a Maemo you can replace with Mer) anytime. It needs to be quality and able to take quite a beating - and IMHO chinese suppliers can't do this just yet.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
Originally Posted by Yaser88 View Post
n800 clone!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mobile-Internet-...3A1%7C294%3A50
*shudder* WIndows (and CE, at that ...). It's as if the lamb chops off Dolly smelled of ... pork?

The Following User Says Thank You to fattomm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Mwaaaaaaarf fattommm Very good !!!

clone ie; nokla n96 - collecting people

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Well, one of the points of Mer is to not -have- a lead device. We focus on the platform, and then hardware development is on top of this.
I know that, it wasn't meant literally. For a slate purist like me the SmQ 5 would be ideal. A brick-phone certainly isn't and my N800 is past its best by now.
My mobile device will be Nokia (with a Maemo you can replace with Mer) anytime. It needs to be quality and able to take quite a beating - and IMHO chinese suppliers can't do this just yet.
I want an internet tablet(according to my definition of a tablet). Maemo alone is not enough for me.
Buying a N900/Rover would be like buying a tool kit while you just need one screwdriver And you know that the screwdrivers in those kits may not fit your needs very well. Like those fiddly screwdrivers with a very small handle

where, for people on here, do the Archos devices fit in ?

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
It doesn't fit, it's not open, you cannot install the os and applications you want on it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Archos' have so far been PMPs pretending to be MIDs leveraging the similar hardware and software base (and failing miserably at it).