Active Topics

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
not sure, actually, but prob safe to take the plunge.

took the plunge - it installed wget, then i installed the advanced backlight but when i copied the third command (diablo flasher) it gave me this:
dpkg: error processing kernel-diablo-flasher_2.6.21-200842maemo1rotationfast_all.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing osso-software-version-rx44-unlocked_1%3a5.2008.43-7_all.deb (--install):
dpkg: error processing xserver-xomap_1.3.99.0~git20070321-0osso20083801rotation_armel.deb (--install): cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
kernel-diablo-flasher_2.6.21-200842maemo1rotationfast_all.deb
osso-software-version-rx44-unlocked_1%3a5.2008.43-7_all.deb
xserver-xomap_1.3.99.0~git20070321-0osso20083801rotation_armel.deb

hate to ask, but any ideas? also, if we get this installed, how do i get the screen to rotate?

see if u have better luck w/ instructions/file here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...784#post276784

report questions or problems in this current thread.

Originally Posted by Sean-o View Post
took the plunge - it installed wget, then i installed the advanced backlight but when i copied the third command (diablo flasher) it gave me this:
dpkg: error processing kernel-diablo-flasher_2.6.21-200842maemo1rotationfast_all.deb (--install):
dpkg: error processing osso-software-version-rx44-unlocked_1%3a5.2008.43-7_all.deb (--install):
dpkg: error processing xserver-xomap_1.3.99.0~git20070321-0osso20083801rotation_armel.deb (--install): cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
kernel-diablo-flasher_2.6.21-200842maemo1rotationfast_all.deb
osso-software-version-rx44-unlocked_1%3a5.2008.43-7_all.deb
xserver-xomap_1.3.99.0~git20070321-0osso20083801rotation_armel.deb

hate to ask, but any ideas? also, if we get this installed, how do i get the screen to rotate?
the links listed on http://sse2.net/rotate/ are broken... eg

http://outpo.st/rotate/osso-software...8.43-7_all.deb

gives an error 404

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to overfloat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Sean-o

This may seem a strange tack here, but ... do you really care if you have rotation?

I used to have rotation, but got rid of it since the only time I actually ever wanted portrait mode was for reading ebooks, and FBReader has its own rotation, as do image viewing programs.

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Sean-o

This may seem a strange tack here, but ... do you really care if you have rotation?

I used to have rotation, but got rid of it since the only time I actually ever wanted portrait mode was for reading ebooks, and FBReader has its own rotation, as do image viewing programs.
I was about to suggest that too. I personally don't find screen rotation all that useful. It is a cool trick but not really all that vital.

i typically agree w/ geraldko, but on this i can't disagree more. but, of course, to each his own.

The Following User Says Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post:
Great points, all. I guess I won't know until I try it. It would appear it would work well with mobile sites that tend to be left-side aligned. I like using mobile sites occasionally. But if I can't get it to install fairly soon, I'll probably just move forward with new tablet challenges. There's a lot to learn, I can see.

I think I'll review the screen-rotation threads one more time to see if I've missed a step.

What are some other programs/tools that you all would deem vital? I've installed the Personal Menu, Canola (mostly for last.fm streaming), a new homescreen weather map and the advanced backlighting, and a few other media players (although I've yet to use them). Obviously, I'm not a programmer, just a fidgeter with techie interests.

I do have to remember that this new device was intended for my wife, who hasn't seen it since I took over sole ownership a few days ago.

Thanks again to everyone who's piped in.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
What are some other programs/tools that you all would deem vital? I've installed the Personal Menu, Canola (mostly for last.fm streaming), a new homescreen weather map and the advanced backlighting, and a few other media players (although I've yet to use them). Obviously, I'm not a programmer, just a fidgeter with techie interests.
Personally I suggest also MaemoMapper (or Roadmap) for simple navigation/mapping use. If you are Skype user... Skype is also available. (And not to forget built in SIP client that you can make VoIP phone calls... If you don't have SIP account you can open those free... for example gizmo5.com (same as sipphone.com). The SIP client supports Video calls too!)

The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
I recommend feed-circuit.... it will download not only the rss feeds - but it will open the links in the rss feeds and download the full text of the news stories - great for reading when you dont have net access

The Following User Says Thank You to overfloat For This Useful Post: