Active Topics

Originally Posted by coosbaytv View Post
Im2:

Sorry, I replied to your Centro request a few hours ago but it evidently didn't take...

Anyway, the short of it is GET ONE! If you can find one for $50 or less just do it.

Especially if you have an n810 to tether with you will actually increase battery life in the sense of having two devices to do different functions.

Anyway, if you want more detailed info, let me know.
Coos,
A coupla questions on tethering a Centro to the Tablet: first, I've heard I need to DL the usbmodem app to the Centro. Is there a fee with that? Second, is there an additional fee for the tethering service? You're welcome to shoot me a message if the details are too ... detailed.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
Great...while that is attempting to DL, on to another subject...

I setup the default email app with my pop3 mail account and noticed it wants to access ALL of the messages rather than say the most recent 100 or so. Is there a way to control the access to the last few days worth of email or the most recent 100 messages?

Also, does this app actually DL the messages from the server and store them on the device with physical HD space or is it just accessing from the server and storing in a temp folder while it is connected to the "cloud"?

thanks again

Sean-o:

Yes there is a fee for the app...

No, there is no addl fees to use (from what I understand with Sprint anyway) it does not detect the difference between the Centro itself using the Net connection or the other device.

Actually, it is for this and other reasons why I think Sprint is the best option since they offer lost of services for far less than the competitors (ATT & IPHONE) for example...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I setup the default email app with my pop3 mail account and noticed it wants to access ALL of the messages rather than say the most recent 100 or so. Is there a way to control the access to the last few days worth of email or the most recent 100 messages?
In the account settings for your POP3 account, on the "Account" tab, there's a "Retrieval limit" option. You might try that.

Also, does this app actually DL the messages from the server and store them on the device with physical HD space...
Well, flash memory space, not hard drive space, but yes.

You might see if your email account may be accessed via IMAP rather than POP3. It sounds as though you're attempting to use it in an IMAP-like way.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Great...while that is attempting to DL, on to another subject...

Also, does this app actually DL the messages from the server and store them on the device with physical HD space or is it just accessing from the server and storing in a temp folder while it is connected to the "cloud"?

thanks again
In default email app (codenamed "modest"), go Tools>Accounts>Edit (your account). Under the "Account" tab there will be an option to limit retrieval to last 50 messages. Also, if you use gmail, you can go to settings, Forwarding and Pop, and tell it to only release emails that arrive from now on to a pop mail program. I find this useful if I haven't used pop for a while and want to only get new mail if i'm heading out on the road.

You can set it to download the entire message or just the header, in which case you'll need web access to download the rest.

Sean-o:
No, there is no addl fees to use (from what I understand with Sprint anyway) it does not detect the difference between the Centro itself using the Net connection or the other device..
Anyone know if verizon--which usually charges for tethering--will detect unauthorized tethering with centro?

Im2:

1 There is no limit messages option that I can find anywhere. There was a limit message size and another option to limit to just headers...

2 Yes, I believe that Verizon does require a tethering package but I think I heard it was only like $15/mo.

Sean-o:

I briefly got the tethering to work...streamed some audio!

WORKED GREAT!

FOLLOW INSTRUCTION BELOW!

For anyone who cares... I have spent days researching ways to get the N800 to work with my Centro. I have finally done it and it is much easier than I thought.

I have Sprint SERO with Unlimited Data
Palm Centro
Nokia N800

1. Install USB Modem
2. From the USB Modem Menu disable Built in DUN on the Centro
3. Phone will do a Soft Boot
4. Start USB Modem again and set it to Bluetooth mode then Enable Modem.
5. Pair the Nokia with the Centro as a trusted device
6. Go through the Cell Provider Setup wizard for Sprint.
7. Go to the Control Panel and select connectivity
8. Edit your Sprint connection.
9. Set it to dial #777 Username and Password fields leave Blank

Your done ... enjoy... Hope this helps some other users.

Last edited by coosbaytv; 2009-06-03 at 20:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to coosbaytv For This Useful Post:
Im2:

1 There is no limit messages option that I can find anywhere. There was a limit message size and another option to limit to just headers...

2 Yes, I believe that Verizon does require a tethering package but I think I heard it was only like $15/mo.
looks like i have a different default email client than you have, then.

Again: TOOLS > ACCOUNTS > select your account and hit EDIT > navigate to the ACCOUNTS tab > set "Retrieval Limit:"

FYI: www.sprintusers.com is the site for anything Sprint related...