Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Canada
I am going to try VNCViewer. I installed WinVNC in my laptop. there is an IP address showed when I point mouse to WinVNC icon. Then I checked my IP by visiting some websites, but the IP showed by the websites are not same as the one I got from pointing to wWinVNC. which IP should I use?
or how can I get it work?
thanks.
with the help of others and my effort to google internet, I solved some confusions. this is my experience.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
The IP shown by websites is the IP address of your router. You want the one shown by the VNC icon. Though, I have to ask, why not just try both?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
The IP shown by websites is the IP address of your router. You want the one shown by the VNC icon. Though, I have to ask, why not just try both?
good idea. I will do it once i can.

what should I do if both of them do not work?
with the help of others and my effort to google internet, I solved some confusions. this is my experience.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Why not try first, and worry about that later?

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
If you're trying to connect to your laptop from within your home network you use the IP address shown by the WinVNC icon.

To access the laptop remotely from the internet is more complicated and requires port forwarding to be setup on your router and a secure connection via ssh. There are other threads on this forum explaining how to set up ssh with vnc.
PC #1 - HP dv2000 Laptop - Ubuntu 9.10
PC #2 - Ubuntu 9.10
PC #3 - Ubuntu 8.04/Windoze XP dual boot
Nokia N800 internet tablet - OS2008 Diablo dual boot to SD - 4gb internal + 2gb external SD cards

thanks.
i tried both ip.none works.
i have no authority to set up router. i have to stop testing.