Active Topics

can anybody help me?

Originally Posted by bezeen View Post
Not yet (no fbreader, evince/cbrpager or music/movieplayer)
but its realy looking good and fun to take a test spinn on.

You have midori and all GPE...
You can install fbreader with command line

Code:
apt-get install fbreader
It installs from ubuntu repositories, so it is not available in application manager. It might be necessary to configure by hand full screen/rotate/next page/prev page, but you get the same functionality as hildonized fbreader. Similar situation is for evince.

For mplayer, it might be best to apt-get install mplayer, but then copy mplayer binary and two modules s3c_mfc.ko and s3c_pp.ko from original image. This version uses hardware video acceleration so it can play higher quality videos.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
I tried to install mer on my q7 using the instructions here and the file downloaded from

http://www.daimi.au.dk/~cvm/mer-0.14testing2.SmartQ7

I got as far as getting the chinese writing appearing on the q7 display, that stayed there for about an 90 minutes so i assumed it failed...

After power off and back on again the device no longer starts up...the light flashes red for a couple of seconds and then stops.

No boot of the device or of the sd card.

Anyone any ideas how i can recover from this ?

Thanks

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Okay, for good measure, the images we put out for Q7 are strictly experimental and I would not recommend them to anyone. I hope we will improve the quality of them over this week.

One thing worth noting:

* Your devices can be booted using a specially crafted SD card - there's a guide to the SDUpdateTool or something in this thread i think.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2009-06-10 at 10:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Okay, for good measure, the images we put out for Q7 are strictly experimental and I would not recommend them to anyone. I hope we will improve the quality of them over this week.

One thing worth noting:

* Your devices can be booted using a specially crafted SD card - there's a guide to the SDUpdateTool or something in this thread i think.
thanks for the pointer...and i do totally understand the images are experimental.

I found a few references to the SDUPdateTool on this site but nothing that leads anywhere....might you have any further info on this and what i need to do with it ?

I am downloading the original q7 firmware in the hope that this might help somehow, though the device just doesnt seem to be booting at all so i am not confident it will get my anywhere on its own....

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by maceu View Post
thanks for the pointer...and i do totally understand the images are experimental.

I found a few references to the SDUPdateTool on this site but nothing that leads anywhere....might you have any further info on this and what i need to do with it ?

I am downloading the original q7 firmware in the hope that this might help somehow, though the device just doesnt seem to be booting at all so i am not confident it will get my anywhere on its own....
http://www.jiongtang.com/blog/html/s...d-smartq7.html should be the URL to create a bootable SD using a card reader / or another device with SD exported over USB.

Be aware that a SDHC card may not work (we had odd problems), so you may need a SD card.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
http://www.jiongtang.com/blog/html/s...d-smartq7.html should be the URL to create a bootable SD using a card reader / or another device with SD exported over USB.

Be aware that a SDHC card may not work (we had odd problems), so you may need a SD card.
thanks for the link.

For some reason the tool keeps throwing an error message "Cannot write Image File to SD Card"....

I have tried two standard SD cards ( 1GB & a 2GB card) and same error on both.

Both have been formated to fat32.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Thanks

Originally Posted by maceu View Post
I tried to install mer on my q7 using the instructions here and the file downloaded from

http://www.daimi.au.dk/~cvm/mer-0.14testing2.SmartQ7

I got as far as getting the chinese writing appearing on the q7 display, that stayed there for about an 90 minutes so i assumed it failed...

After power off and back on again the device no longer starts up...the light flashes red for a couple of seconds and then stops.

No boot of the device or of the sd card.

Anyone any ideas how i can recover from this ?

Thanks
I am having a similar problem. Except I flashed Mer ok but now it seems I'm stuck with it.

When I try to go back to the original firmware it hangs with the chinese writing. But when I give it up and reboot I still have Mer.

Tried the sd update tool with no joy.

Originally Posted by bjkel View Post
I am having a similar problem. Except I flashed Mer ok but now it seems I'm stuck with it.

When I try to go back to the original firmware it hangs with the chinese writing. But when I give it up and reboot I still have Mer.

Tried the sd update tool with no joy.
If you used the Starq7 0.13 mer firmware - you should try to install with the firmware named to SmartQ5 (have both "SmartQ5 and SmartQ7" on)

If the chinese writings ends with a
!
you should reset and try again (rename firmware?) the chinese should end with

Red light - hold down menu/select and push reset button (with the charger plug in)

Last edited by bezeen; 2009-06-10 at 16:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bezeen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by KTurbo View Post
Ah, well, Mer without any applications is pretty useless, isn't it? The only thing I am really interested in right now is to be able to brows the web and have a nice clean look on the device with some desktop apps/add-ons.
Then it could be okey. Midori is the web browser.
GPE is small apps for handhelds (filemanager, calender, todo)

http://gpe.handhelds.org/

and you have more apps that you can install...

Tags
parting of the red sea