Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Per Request:
How To install Kismet on you N770:

Note and WARNING:
I am not responsible for any damages YOU cause to your N770.
Please make sure you have an active Wireless connection.
Things you will need in your N770:

xterm ( http://maemo.org/maemowiki/Applicati...319a19dcccc7a8 )
root access ( http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowDoiBecomeRoot2 ) - I recommend using the user password for root access.
also please add the Kismet repository.
Repository Info:
Repository: http://eko.one.pl/maemo
Distribution: mistral
Component: user

Here is how to on how to add the repository to your N770:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...14&postcount=8

Ok you have xterm install, You have root access, and have your repos in place...

Now we are going to install Kismet....

Go to your extras folder and call on xterm.
Once xterm is open gain root access..
If you use the user access from the howDoiBecomeRoot2 than type
Code:
sudo su -
once you are in root we are going to call on apt-get...
Code:
apt-get install kismet
apte-get will call on kismet and all its dependecies it will install and you are done...

once install if you want to use kismet you have to be in root mode...
from root call on kismet by typing
Code:
kismet
And kismet will start.... Thats it you are done

Good luck and Have fun!
~Fin
SeRi@lDiE aKa nUll

Thanks for information. Will the above process work on the 2007 OS for the N800?

I am not able to confirm it will because I do not have a N800 so I ma not sure if the file system structure changed in OS2007.... I will have a N800 next week by than I will start hacking the N800

The Following User Says Thank You to SeRi@lDiE For This Useful Post:
Hello together,

i dont know if it is right to post in here, if not just move this post to the correct section.

Finally i have written a small perl script which parses kismetlogdata and creates 2 Files with open and closed networks, which could be imported later to navicore navigations software.

short description (u can download the kis2nav.tar -> here )

#1. untar the kis2nav.tar to your home directory. for example "cd /home/username && tar -xf kis2nav.tar"

#2. install kismet, gpsd and maemo-bt-plugin to your n770

#3. change the kismet configfile "/etc/kismet/kismet.conf" and make sure u have logytyp "logtype=csv" enabled also set "gps=true" and "gpslockmode=true"

#4. now pair your gps mouse with the n770 using bt-plugin, then start gpsd with following command "gpsd /dev/rfcom0", at least start kismet as root user.

#5. after your logging tour, copy the kismet log (CSV) file to your desktop pc in our case "/home/username/kismet2navicore/kismetlog.csv" there is allready a examplelogfile in the /home/username/kismet2navicore/kismetlog.csv directory!

#6. make sure youve got wine installed, then run "winecfg" from your console in our case the "D:" path should called "/home/username" (this is very important for the bitmaps importing later)

#7. open the console as normal user and type: "cd /home/username/kismet2navicore && perl kismetconverter.pl kismetlog.csv" the script will parse the logfile and write the output to a "non open network" file (wep.nce) and an "open networkfile" open.nce.

#8. copy these 2 files to your navicore mmc card "/home/username/kismet2navicore" in following folder "/media/mmc1/Navicore/extensions". After the next start of navicore u will be asked to import the new extensions.

plz let me know how u like this script

Greetings |tbb|

Last edited by |tbb|; 2007-01-16 at 00:05.

Well looks like this thread has bring a lot of request for me to post How To's and hacks... It has gone as far as to rss news feeds and even blog spots...I am going to make a official Book call "Hacking Maemo" or "Hacking the 770" you chose.... is coming out in digital format wich will be release in thoughtfix blog spot... Stay tune is coming out soon. Any body who would like to contribue please shoot me a PM.

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by mdanehart View Post
Thanks for information. Will the above process work on the 2007 OS for the N800?
It didn't seem to work on my N800. So Unpacked the deb's and put them on my N800 manually. The Kismet server runs, but the client dies when it tries to spawn an xterm.

I have to ask, what does this version of kismet look like when it is running? Is it text mode, or is there a GUI client?

Thanks,

Craig...

Originally Posted by cvmiller View Post
It didn't seem to work on my N800. So Unpacked the deb's and put them on my N800 manually. The Kismet server runs, but the client dies when it tries to spawn an xterm.

I have to ask, what does this version of kismet look like when it is running? Is it text mode, or is there a GUI client?

Thanks,

Craig...
Hi,

is it possible to run Kismet on Nokia 770 ?
Just need to test some bluetooth pgs units
and would like Kismet to scan for b t devices and record/log signal levels coming from each one, number of satellites and signal level coming from each respective satellite.

Is that all possible with Kismet or any other bluetooth scanner application ?

Darius

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Kismet runs fine on the 770 but it's for scanning WiFi networks not Bluetooth - use btscanner to scan for Bluetooth devices.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Kismet runs fine on the 770 but it's for scanning WiFi networks not Bluetooth - use btscanner to scan for Bluetooth devices.
For the kismet newbies, EOF fatal error if not becomeroot.

bun

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by cvmiller View Post

Thanks,

Craig...
Update: Got Kismet working on the n800. The terminfo file for xterm is missing. I got the terminfo files installed by installing 'screen' (screen manager with VT100/ANSI terminal emulation) which includes the terminfo files.

You don't need to use screen, just the terminfo files. You can install by
Code:
$ sudo gainroot
$ apt-get install screen
I hope this helps,

Craig...