Active Topics

Xoubir, are you the developer of MCEguru. i was wondering if there was a port for ubuntu yet or how would i go about installing it on ubuntu? if you could email me at gregabetz@yahoo.com that would be amazing

Not sure on the rules on posting in old threads, so here goes.

I'm running Windows 7 and I'm pretty certain the media center plug-in part of this will work in the new Windows 7 Media Center. Only problem is it can't be installed on anything other than Windows Vista. Anybody got a fix for avoiding this and forcing it to install?

For those running windows 7 I took the version check out of the installer, and now it will install, I have yet to test to see if it works.
Download:
http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=113017

Originally Posted by trekkie711 View Post
For those running windows 7 I took the version check out of the installer, and now it will install, I have yet to test to see if it works.
Download:
http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=113017
It installs fine on Windows 7 using this as far as I can tell.

Originally Posted by Krusty2 View Post
I have problem with the server installation. I have Vista Ultimate 32 with SP1 and other updates found in MS update.
The install says: "MCE Guru Server can only be installed on Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium or Ultimate Edition." And so the setup fails.
Any ideas what I could do to install? Setup-file is beta3-3.
I have installed those DirectX Libraries and rebooted also.
I have the exact same issue (VMCE Ultimate, SP1, TV Pack). Did you ever find a solution?

Originally Posted by bigdawgte View Post
I have the exact same issue (VMCE Ultimate, SP1, TV Pack). Did you ever find a solution?
Try the link a couple of posts up. It's stripped the version check out.

Originally Posted by Valad View Post
Try the link a couple of posts up. It's stripped the version check out.
That downloads a 0kb file (empty when I open it with a text editor). Yeah, when I try to install it, says it is not a valid installer.

Last edited by bigdawgte; 2009-06-18 at 13:28.

Originally Posted by bigdawgte View Post
That downloads a 0kb file (empty when I open it with a text editor). Yeah, when I try to install it, says it is not a valid installer.
Thats unusual, it worked fine when it was originally posted.

I don't have the file anymore so I can't even reupload it. Anybody else get it when it worked?

Originally Posted by Valad View Post
Thats unusual, it worked fine when it was originally posted.

I don't have the file anymore so I can't even reupload it. Anybody else get it when it worked?
Anybody, please. I am waiting patiently, as the only standard remote that would meet my needs is no longer made, is $50 on ebay, and will require considerable hacking to my htpc.

Somebody should have the file. Maybe the company who made it. Why wouldn't you keep a copy until you were certain it worked reliably (I have VMCE Ultimate, which the standard install rejects). The people maintining the MCEGuru website have just blown off my support email. Wouldn't you keep/archive all released versions of the software?

Alternatively, is there a registry key that the install looks for to verify compatibility? If so, could I temporarily mod the reg. to install successfully?

Hello bigdawgte, I managed to strip the areas in the MCEGuru MSI DataBase that checks the windows version. Here's what happens, it will install successfully, but have really limited control of the windows 7 Media center.

It'll say they MCEGuru is ready, & then kick a .Net error on the MCPC end. It has a very detailed directx error. With the right dev tools I think some people could make it work. But it was a complete waste of time for me since I am not very strong @ programming.

BTW I used a program called ORCA to open & Mod the MSI database. I hope this helps & I hope you have better luck...