Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Some facts:
  • GPS was probably the problem in your case. Deactivate (i.e. close any running GPS app) when not in use.
  • A good quality access point supporting "PSM" will mean your tablet can stay on 24 hours or more connected to it.
  • The scrolling RSS home applet stops updating (as all good apps do) when the screen blanks, to save power.
  • Turning the tablet on & off takes *masses* of battery; leaving it on, but idle, is generally better.
  • Some apps & applets aren't well behaved and will wake the device up every minute; or keep updating the screen even when it's off. It's difficult (currently) to identify these without some trial & error.

HTH.
Bad, but often repeated advice. A reboot cycle takes at most as much power as 4 hours of idle, probably a lot less. You need to factor the chance that some runaway process will eat your battery while you sleep against the minute it takes to boot when you want to use it, but the battery wasted by turning off/on is a myth that should die.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
I second Matan, he already told this before and tested precisely, turning ON/OFF doesn't suck so much power.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Bad, but often repeated advice. A reboot cycle takes at most as much power as 4 hours of idle, probably a lot less. You need to factor the chance that some runaway process will eat your battery while you sleep against the minute it takes to boot when you want to use it, but the battery wasted by turning off/on is a myth that should die.
4 hours sounds like quite a long time to me (I've not seen your research which totololo references, and have been going off the comments of senior engineers like Igor) . But then, I'm very careful about trying to minimise the runaway processes which may exist on my tablet.

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
that's been my experience, too.

A short calculation:

The battery should last 10 days of idle time, that is 240 hours. In my testing it can last 3 hours of playing video over wifi with high brightness (probably as much power draw as possible). I measured 20 seconds for shutdown and one minute for bootup.

All thah data comes up to: off/on eats about 0.75% of the battery which is equivalent to about 2 hours of idle time.

While two hours might sound a lot, it is less then the sleep period of almost all human beings.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Well, right now my N810 freezes about every 5-10 minutes. Sometimes after 1-2 minutes. It becomes inoperative, then the screen dims..and after about a minute it resets.

I can't seem to tie it to a specific event and it has happened when WiFi has been on..and off..

I'm hoping that when I get the cable for it on Friday I can re-flash it and see if that resolves the issues
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Well, I completely disagree with Matan about the on/off/boot vs. idle case. When your battery gets older, as the one in my N800, you'll find that rebooting completely floors the battery. It drops down 3 bars and stays there.

I absolutely prefers to leave my N800 on at all times. I had the occasional runaway-during-the-night problem in the past, but that all disappeared after I got rid of the maemo crawler application. It has never happened again. A couple of months back I reported that my N800 had been dead a couple of times, it turned out that this was caused by a mechanical problem which momentarily disconnected the battery and had nothing to do with the old problem.

Conclusion: Absolutely no software runaway problem ever again for me. And even if there were, the cost of a powerdown/reboot cycle every morning is outrageous compared to a hypothetical runaway case every few months.

This has been discussed a few times. The battery can't physically lose over 50% percent within a minute, as that equals a draw of over 150W for that minute. What you actually see is incorrect battery level measurements.

No, it is not. It is a battery which has increased internal resistance due to not being new anymore. And even when it was newer it took quite a bit of capacity to boot. It is not incorrect battery level measurements, because that is simply a voltage measurement. In fact I am now, at this moment, charging a battery that dropped down after a reboot. It's been charging for an hour.

This is simple physics:

"holding an N800 for a minute while it goes through half a battery is like holding a working 150W light bulb for a minute -- not something you can do with bare hands."