Active Topics

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I once again tried to create a movie file to play on my tablet but again I can't seem to get a file that will play ok on it.

I get a file that plays so choppy and slow that it's unwatchable (pretty much the same issues that I have with video podcasts that are downloaded).

This particular video was a file of size 1280 x 544

I wanted to convert it to 576 x 352

a) I set the width x height to 828 x 352
b) I set the crop to 126 pixels off both sides.

Anamorphic: None
Deinterlace: Slow
File-format: MP4
Video Codec: MPEG-4
FPS: Same as source
2-Pass encoding
Avg bitrate: 750

What did I do wrong here that can explain the choppiness of the video when played on my N810?

(I'm using Handbrake).
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Try comparing your setting to those in this thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28911

My quick assessment:
1. You used 2 pass encoding and set the average bitrate to high (I believe the NITs can't exceed 800 at any point & an using an bitrate average of 750 will most likely put many parts of the video bitrate well above that).
2. The 828x352 size is to large
3. You didn't specify the audio encoding, but stick with MP3-128kb or less.

Hope that helps

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to urnass For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Thanks I'll try your suggestions.

Oh, and just for a test I just put an 'unconverted' 700 meg avi file onto the N810...and it plays and looks great.. (different movie).
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
<parrot mode on>
Make sure you convert the 48kHz audio to 44.1kHz
<parrot mode off>

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
And mp3

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
mencoder -oac lamemp3 -lameopts abr:br=128 -af volume=9 -ovc xvid -vf scale=480:204 -xvidencopts bitrate=800***=2 -o destfile.avi srcfile.avi

Adjust the "volume=" option to your preference and you'll be golden.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by urnass View Post
2. The 828x352 size is to large
He cropped it to 576x352.

But to echo everyone else, your culprit is probably your audio. You really do have to convert the audio too.

And since everyone is pitching in "just one more thing," make sure the mp3 audio is constant bitrate, not variable.