Active Topics

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
I'm probably going to be exiled from the Maemo/Linux community for this post, but here it goes. Ideally, you should never have to go into the command line for any system or application settings (the only exceptions I can think of is writing scripts) Firstly, it's not user friendly and is going to turn off 80% of non-geeks. Secondly, there is no reason for it, not any that I can think of. If it's worth putting into the command line, it's worth putting a GUI on it.
Hey, the nineties called and want their FUD back.
On my desktop (laptop actually) linux there's no need to use the command line for any setting. It's still there if you want to use it, and I actually do use it because it's faster for most tasks and I'm used to it. Nobody forces you to use a command line.

If a GUI is too much trouble, then have a kind of "system:config" page similar to the Firefox "about:config" page.
Oh, sure, or something as friendly as regedit....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
If a GUI is too much trouble, then have a kind of "system:config" page similar to the Firefox "about:config" page.
Yeah, they mostly all do: vi <config file>*

*Or gconf-editor for some.

Originally Posted by luca View Post
On my desktop (laptop actually) linux there's no need to use the command line for any setting.
Well, I find myself constantly going into the command line and starting off with the customary -sudo gainroot in my n810. Be it changing MAC addresses, power profiles as someone stated, changing button mappings (run-standalone.sh!! took me forever to figure that one out), etc, etc. As for desktop, anytime I install a Linux OS in Virtualbox, the first thing I have to do is go to the command line and install the Virtualbox guest additions from the command line, because I can't double click it nor right click and run as admin (ty Windows).

Oh, sure, or something as friendly as regedit....
The Windows Registry is a mess, it should have been junked a long time ago, they just keep it for backward compatibility, as if Vista was ever backward compatible with XP. At least its a GUI, I don't have to go to the command line and type --regedit /newkey HKLM/Software/....etc.

Hey, the nineties called and want their FUD back.
That's exactly how I feel when I go into the command line, like I'm using something from the 90's.

And with that I think I'm officially exiled from the Linux/Unix/Maemo/GNU/ARM/etc. community. I hate Vista, so I guess that only leaves me with XP to send my asylum application to.

Last edited by ioioio; 2009-07-02 at 00:16.

Well, normally I would take the pro-CLI position when it comes to Linux, but on a device like the NIT, the CLI is actually counter productive and hard to use, and thus I lean towards the side of an all gui experience. Now if it's a regular PC, no way. CLI + GUI all the way. The only time I advocate 100% GUI is if it's an environment that doesn't lend itself well to a command line use.

Ideally, you should never have to go into the command line for any system or application settings (the only exceptions I can think of is writing scripts) Firstly, it's not user friendly and is going to turn off 80% of non-geeks.
The counter argument is that you don't want to overwhelm exactly that part of the audience with too many options which they have no hope/interest of understanding in the first place. Example: type "/sbin/sysctl -a" into a shell session on your tablet (that's just a small subset of the "system" settings). Do we really need a GUI that can set all those options? Who is going to support those 80% of non-geeks when they fiddle with it and break their system in various ways?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Basically, just do this as root:

Code:
echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
(all on one line)
Just learned something new. Cool.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Well, I find myself constantly going into the command line and starting off with the customary -sudo gainroot in my n810. Be it changing MAC addresses,
Oh, sure, like it's easy to do in the windows gui not! (besides, that's not what a typical gui user would want to do).

power profiles as someone stated,
Nobody forces you to change the power profile, the tablet will work as intended even if you don't do that, that's probably why nokia doesn't provide a gui to modify it. On my laptop I just click on the battery icon and, hey, presto, a gui pops up to set power relate settings.

changing button mappings (run-standalone.sh!! took me forever to figure that one out), etc, etc. As for desktop, anytime I install a Linux OS in Virtualbox, the first thing I have to do is go to the command line and install the Virtualbox guest additions from the command line, because I can't double click it nor right click and run as admin (ty Windows).
I'm not sure it works (I use virtualbox to virtualise windows, not linux), but my distro provides a package for the guest additions, so it's just a matter of clicking on the control panel icon, select the add/remove software option, find the virtualbox guest additions, click on install, click on apply.
Look ma, all from a gui!, and I didn't even need to manually download it!
Like I said, the 90s called and want their FUD back.

The Windows Registry is a mess, it should have been junked a long time ago
Fact is, there are some settings that can only be modified through it (take a look at the microsoft knowledge base), and it ain't pretty. It surely isn't better than hand editing some settings in a clearly documented text file.

, they just keep it for backward compatibility, as if Vista was ever backward compatible with XP. At least its a GUI, I don't have to go to the command line and type --regedit /newkey HKLM/Software/....etc.
Oh, if that's the problem, nobody forces you to use vi, you can always use kate, kwrite, gedit to edit configuration files. Hey, it's a gui editor, right?

That's exactly how I feel when I go into the command line, like I'm using something from the 90's.
That could be true in the early 90s, nobody is forcing you to do it anymore with any sane, contemporary distro.

And with that I think I'm officially exiled from the Linux/Unix/Maemo/GNU/ARM/etc. community. I hate Vista, so I guess that only leaves me with XP to send my asylum application to.
If it works for you, more power to you, nobody is forcing you to switch....Oh, wait.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:

Tags
faster, n810, processor