Active Topics

jalladin: lol. You double posted! But on your main point about the article not making you want a MID, you're right, as that wasn't the focus. But, since you mention it, I think that would be a good one to write as a followup. IE, why you should want a MID. Hadn't considered such an idea, but it does make sense. The more we can convince people they want MIDs, the quicker the uptake will be, and the faster the market will take off.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
@ Lord Raiden, I'm so sorry for double posting( just deleted it) , and offending you if i did, I really didnt mean to and I really enjoy this site and all of you guys here and respect you for your knowledge and help, but I also love the n8x0 a lot and appriciate the hard work that everyone puts into the programs to keep it going, and get a little overzealous about all things tablet related...

I really think it would be a great step toward expanding the MID market, though its some ppl that are just stuck on stupid, I'm sure there will be tons of ppl who will really want to give it a try and even find it to be great like we do I think along with that article we could give them different aspects of users like business, consumer, and intermediate tech users that benefit from having this "bridge to your home computing experience while not at home" . Because it really seems to be something i hear a lot on Cnet when they review a PDA or phone, saying who it appeals to more or who its targeting. seeing as MIDS can aid everyone no matter how they use it opens it up for all user levels. I also was thinking about how much easier it would be if we could have "updated how to videos" on all these new programs. I know youtube has a few things but there all kinda old and if we had a section on this site for all the basic stuff as well as new and or difficult procedures would make this a truly perfect site. sorry i just thought about that after you made me think about opening up the MIDs to new users, I know if that was added to this site along with bringing that to their attention they wouldnt mind getting such an open sorce device with a solid community backing to help them in every way with walk through videos and very friendly ppl that respond promptly with great advice.

Last edited by jalladin; 2009-07-04 at 16:56. Reason: adding

Nah, I'm not offended. It's just funny when people double post is all. lo.

As for the article, I could definately consider it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
It's rather incredible how misguided MIDs are, up to now. Make them about three quarters of their current size and they'll be reasonably pocketable, or at least attractively thin. (There's lots of money for whoever makes something just like the pads in Star Trek).
But no, they just have to be crazy thick, be bloated with track pads and keyboards under the screen (not the sliding type) and run Windows Vista for, uh, no good reason...

I actually call my N8*0 an MID sometimes, because Intel's marketing at least got farther than Nokia's. It's the only good one, at any rate.

Edit:
Mixing things up. 'My bad. The bigness point still stands

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2009-07-04 at 20:07.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
MIDs (by definition) do not run MS Windows or carry trackpads (by design). At least to the best of my knowledge.

maybe 3G capability would help MID's but for me for example, I wouldn't use it and I'm sure that would be the case for most non-US citizens... I would like the idea of having internet everywhere but the cost of the service here is... not good... even gprs... that's actually what I like of MID's they're not attached to a monthly payment or such

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
for me it would mostly be that i would need to get a second subscription/plan, rather then connect via my featurephone...

Well, current cellular service is a bloody ripoff. But there are rumblings in the industry that hint towards a possible shakeup soon that could be a huge win/win for the customer.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
Smaller size is always more expensive.
Not too long ago laptops were far more expensive than desktops.
Fairly recently netbooks took off because of low price (and portablity).

Are MIDs (X86 compatible ones) the size of a NIT still to expensive to make ?
And there is battery life; X86 compatible processors still need more power (= bigger batteries) han ARMs.

And OSs for the ARM architecture are not yet commonplace.
Symbian and Mobile Windows have sold a lot of smartphones but are (slowly) on their way out and inadequate for a NIT/MID.
( An exception: the HTC Advantage; with a community developing ROMs with additional features.)
Linux seems to be the trend; there is Maemo, Openmoko but not yet much more.

So we are at a stage of the egg and the hen.
When Nokias "step 5" (N900 or N1000 or other) or similar of other make are launched, we will have the first products that could be succesfully marketed (almost) as efficiently as e.g. the Iphone.

( Although the existing NITs have no real competition, I believe Nokia has been wise to use them as a niche product and a base for developing an OS until it is ripe for a mass market. So long as they do not loose their head start.)

What size will the consumers want ?
Personally I like the pocketability of my N810.
With a side pocket on my pants I would prefere a 5 1/2 inch screen for a better display of photos.
Where between 3-6 inches of screen is the future ?

The Following User Says Thank You to KristianW For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Nice article. My take on it:

http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...at-does-it-do/

I linked you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: