Notices

So I can't seem to view the stream. Livecast.com claims I'm live, but I've tried Konqueror and Firefox on Linux, then fired up a Windoze machine and tried Exploder-8 and Firefox on there. I even tried building my own page using their embedded code. I even tried downloading quicktime on the Windoze machine (which I usually eventually get disgusted with and delete afterwards).

My Desktop Linux machine has had good luck playing just about anything lately so I'm surprised it couldn't handle this. I might have firefox a little misconfigued on it so I'm checking it out.

So for me, this thing would be useful using the embedded code in my own page somewhere where people can be directed to access.

PS: I've been looking for a reverse-inbound streaming solution like this because a lot of times my N810 is behind somebody's firewall so it can't be reached directly.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by bluesubaru View Post
Uses too much CPU, just like Gizmo does. Yet the built in app uses hardly any when video conferencing.
Quick guess, no DSP driver for the two former...

Hi from LiveCast -- appreciate the all the comments. I'm not on the engineering team, but can do my best to get answers and report feedback to developers. What format would you prefer rather than Windows Media and QuickTime? Flash? I'm going to check the 'mute audio' as default issue discussed today, it doesn't happen on other builds, this may be a bug on the Nokia Tablet version. If you're concerned about reaching max storage, email me and I'll give anyone on this community an unlimited account (jb@livecast.com). Regarding GPS, it often takes 5 - 10 minutes to get a signal, so you'll want to get it started before you're ready to LiveCast. Once it comes in you're fine after that. You pretty much need to be in the clear view of the sky. Finally, we'd really like to support the Maemo community!

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to LiveCast-JB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
So for GPS, it does not autostart like Maemo mapper or other programs. Autostarting gps would be nice. Flash would be a lot better. The mute audio is just a setting, but it is strangely the default. And where are the archives?

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Wow! a LIvecast person!

Thanks for what appears to be a great app and web service. I've been fighting the problem of serving anything on my NIT for awhile. It is a challenge because it is often behind other peoples' NAT'ed firewalls as I go from hotspot to hotspot. Your reverse-connection service is great!

Also getting both picture and sound streaming on the NIT seems to have been a challenge for others, so congrats to your team for getting it working. The whole thing does seem to use about all the processor power this thing has however. Is there any fine tuning possible?

Finally on the Video format issue, I am not an expert on what should be the best format for this, but since the NIT is a Linux machine, us Linux people tend to HATE proprietary formats, So something more standard like one of the MPEG formats might be good. The idea is to use something of reasonable performance/quality that is available to everyone on any computer running any OS would be the ideal. I'm no fan of Flash, but at this time I'd be happy with anything I can get to work. I'm not sure if it is the video format, or the way you did the web page that is the problem, since I can get the stream if I use the Windows version embedded code put in my web page.

Your status icon works good too, although I changed them to a png so I could then have convert them to a transparent background.

The NIT app really just installed and ran great with no trouble (N810/Diablo). It seems to have a very usable UI, that is more "finger friendly" than most. I did note that it wasn't written to follow the Maemo UI standards however.

As noted earlier, I am having trouble with things on your server side however. Besides getting the stream, I can't get the file management tools (like delete) to work (using firefox again).

Anyway, enough babbling for now, Thanks again for writing an app for us Maemo users.

Oh one last thing, I can't seem to get the GPS to work. Note I am using the substituted app/driver "miniGPSD" utility, but it seems to work fine with other apps I run. And yes the GPS is on and locked, but still no location on your webpage. I tried both the "Shared GPS" and "GPSon port 0" settings with no luck.

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Just signed up. This looks very fun.
Installation went well on both N810 and an S60 version for the 5800, but the video quality on both devices is very poor. I used Wifi as internet carrier.

Same with me but I cannot view the live webcast as they only show proprietary formats (Windows Media and Quicktime) and no FLV. There is a link with HTML code with FLV which I pasted into an HTML file but the movie player does not show anything.

Another issi: it goes via a company is there a way to webcast *directly* without intervening comany ?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by wartstew View Post
Finally on the Video format issue, I am not an expert on what should be the best format for this, but since the NIT is a Linux machine, us Linux people tend to HATE proprietary formats, So something more standard like one of the MPEG formats might be good. The idea is to use something of reasonable performance/quality that is available to everyone on any computer running any OS would be the ideal. I'm no fan of Flash, but at this time I'd be happy with anything I can get to work. I'm not sure if it is the video format, or the way you did the web page that is the problem, since I can get the stream if I use the Windows version embedded code put in my web page.
if possible, a ogg tehora option would be nice.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wartstew View Post
Oh one last thing, I can't seem to get the GPS to work. Note I am using the substituted app/driver "miniGPSD" utility, but it seems to work fine with other apps I run. And yes the GPS is on and locked, but still no location on your webpage. I tried both the "Shared GPS" and "GPSon port 0" settings with no luck.
Are you using the newest ver of minigpsd ? Mine is working fine and tracks sats just fine . I have the new ver of minigpsd . reboot your nXX it maybe that minigpsd is locked up or something then 1st start minigpsd then start livecast .

Hope that helps

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by LiveCast-JB View Post
Hi from LiveCast -- appreciate the all the comments. I'm not on the engineering team, but can do my best to get answers and report feedback to developers. What format would you prefer rather than Windows Media and QuickTime? Flash? I'm going to check the 'mute audio' as default issue discussed today, it doesn't happen on other builds, this may be a bug on the Nokia Tablet version. If you're concerned about reaching max storage, email me and I'll give anyone on this community an unlimited account (jb@livecast.com). Regarding GPS, it often takes 5 - 10 minutes to get a signal, so you'll want to get it started before you're ready to LiveCast. Once it comes in you're fine after that. You pretty much need to be in the clear view of the sky. Finally, we'd really like to support the Maemo community!
Thanks, I'll take you up on that unlimited account

...and thanks for the timely response to my recent e-mail.

To: spyeager, contact
Date: 1:47 am
Subj: Re: Nokia tablets (Maemo)

Hi Steve,

Just got an answer for you.

Thanks for pointing out the camera rotation possibility. When we developed
the original Maemo build, our developers must have somehow missed that a
rotation API was available.

We'll look into this at the earliest opportunity in the engineering
schedule. When it's ready, I can let you know directly and can post to the
Maemo.org community.

Sorry not better news at this point, but we'll push it forward.

Best,
Jennifer
LiveCast Support

Wow... Checking the post times of your responses and depending on where you are located, it is either Saturday night or Sunday morning. Either way, your team shows quite a bit of dedication to LiveCast and the service it provides.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-07-12 at 17:23. Reason: spelllng