Active Topics

Hello, I have searched the forum to but couldn't find anyone the wants to do want I want.

First off, I am tired of AT&T. I want to be free of cell phone providers.

Second off, I am a big fan of Linux. I run 5 flavors of Linux on my house, Linux is wonderful.

From what I read about Nokia 810, it is awesome! I want one.

But I need to ask a few questions and get opinions.

I would like to replace my cell phone with the 810 by using an aircard and Skype. Is there an aircard that work with the 810? I know there is a aircard that works with Ubuntu, wondering if someone got an aircard to work with the 810.

Do you think I could get ride of my phone and use the 810 as my phone if I use Skype and an aircard?

Need opinions... maybe someone is already doing this... I am curious.

thanks..

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Houston
Originally Posted by AirborneDude501 View Post
First off, I am tired of AT&T. I want to be free of cell phone providers.

Second off, I am a big fan of Linux. I run 5 flavors of Linux on my house, Linux is wonderful.

From what I read about Nokia 810, it is awesome! I want one.

But I need to ask a few questions and get opinions.

I would like to replace my cell phone with the 810 by using an aircard and Skype. Is there an aircard that work with the 810? I know there is a aircard that works with Ubuntu, wondering if someone got an aircard to work with the 810.

Do you think I could get ride of my phone and use the 810 as my phone if I use Skype and an aircard?
I think that even with an aircard you will usually need a plan from a cell phone provider. Furthermore, I don't think there are drivers for those things. There's always the option of going MiFi. Still requires a cell phone company, but not a cell phone contract (although you do need a contract) .

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
Yes you will need a data plan either way, I would suggest the MiFi since you wont need to have something hooked into your tablet all the time, plus you would run into the issue of the small usb size on the NIT as opposed to the aircards regular size therefore you would need an adapter. for more about Mifi and this communities thoughts on it try the thread I started and try the links provided. and here is a brief article on aircards

Last edited by jalladin; 2009-07-17 at 23:14.

Thanks guys for answering my question. I appreciate it.

I am still planning on buying an 810, probably in Nov.

Thanks again for the info.

I use a Cradlepoint PHS 300 Portable Hot Spot and a Franklin CDU-780 USB modem on my local cellular carrier. I use these because the unlimited data plan (without contract) with the local carrier is about half as much as the big guys charge, and the cost of the modem and router will be easily repaid within the first year.

The Novatel MiFi routers may be slightly more portable (the PHS300 is the size of a 2.5 inch external hard drive) and have the convenience of having the modem built in, but they are locked to a particular carrier where as the Cradlepoint will work with nearly every USB modem and many data enabled cellular phones.

I have an N800, and it switches between my home WLAN and my portable WLAN seamlessly. I just tell it to remember both WLANs and it picks up whichever one is available.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I suspect it will be very difficult to find a new N810 if you wait until November. They seem to be becoming more and more scarce already. Maybe there'll be another batch or three shipped to stores, maybe not, we're all guessing these days... But November? Pretty likely to be rare in November.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Ok you have some options and you don't.

If you want to have your own connection (instead of relying on wifi) then you are going to be tied to a cellular company most/all of which require a contract (within the US anyway). Actually the trick is that most of them will not sell you a card unless you sign up for a 2 year contract but if you search craigslist or ebay you can pick one up and then bring it to your carrier for activation.

<EDIT>
I forgot to mention that if you are in the US (mentioning location helps; I am just assuming since you said AT&T) there is a 5GB/month cap for all US cell carriers. Thank the FCC and the cellular lobbyists for that one.
</EDIT>

If you are the malicious type go for a compatible ralink or atheros usb wifi dongle. See this thread. Note you may need to a battery-powered usb hub or a y-cable + AA/lithium powerpack. You will also need a microUSB OTG cable from ebay (or alternative solution) for any usb device.

Most people will refer you to a MiFi/cradlepoint router OR a bluetooth network-sharing cellphone which is the cheaper (and best wireless solution; no messy cables attached to N810). A list is available http://wiki.maemo.org/Bluetooth_netw...ed_cell_phones

If you insist on a USB aircard/3G modem then see http://wiki.maemo.org/3G_Modem which I think refers to cards that support the driver referred to here http://www.shapeshifter.se/code/hso/

Oh and on the phone/talk topic. Your best bet is Google Voice (request an invite now! it takes a few weeks to receive) piped through Gizmo. That way if you are connected to wifi (or one of the above 3g solutions) you can call out and receive calls from any cellphone/landline on your device. And if you aren't connected people can leave a voicemail. SMS is also supported. See dialcentral.

Good luck, and BTW if the successor the n810 ever ships it'll have 3g data support built-in. Of course you are better off snagging a N810 now for around $200 plus some accessories.

Last edited by linuxeventually; 2009-07-21 at 07:34.