Active Topics

A. I dont know how a unit like tha could get by QA
B. Personally this time around I am not putting anything on my screen. I take care of my devices and frankly in 1.5 years when the n900 is out I won't really care.
C. I wouldnt rub in chemicals on the screen. That just sounds dumb.

my screen has an imprint of the virtual keyboard...(just circular dots where the keys would be)

That plastic film is so mangled with the lighting off/outdoors in bright sunlight...

hmm..I should start checking out the other thread for potential brands for screen protectors...I feel I'm gonna need one soon.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2007 @ New York City
Originally Posted by skynetos View Post
A. I dont know how a unit like tha could get by QA
B. Personally this time around I am not putting anything on my screen. I take care of
my devices and frankly in 1.5 years when the n900 is out I won't really care.
C. I wouldnt rub in chemicals on the screen. That just sounds dumb.
A. It happens.

B. You touch it. Other than the human mouth, most people's hands have a lot more harmful stuff than most people know. Most paper products exude more chemicals than most people know.

C. See B.

TurtleWax is an inert product suitable for protecting surfaces.

"C. I wouldnt rub in chemicals on the screen. That just sounds dumb"

Anybody familiar with any plastic product design and manufacturing would laugh at that above statement. Just smell when you open a plastic product from any enclosure. You are smelling the finishing products used to clean and prep the item prior to shipment.

Originally Posted by Adam in NYC View Post
A. It happens.

I guess....

B. You touch it. Other than the human mouth, most people's hands have a lot more harmful stuff than most people know. Most paper products exude more chemicals than most people know.

My daily used 770 looks pretty darn good after 1.5 years of use.

C. See B.

TurtleWax is an inert product suitable for protecting surfaces.

It's meant for cars, your telling me a layer of wax won't screw with the touch screen aspect or collect on the stylus durring use?

"C. I wouldnt rub in chemicals on the screen. That just sounds dumb"

Anybody familiar with any plastic product design and manufacturing would laugh at that above statement. Just smell when you open a plastic product from any enclosure. You are smelling the finishing products used to clean and prep the item prior to shipment.
Hey, ain't my 400$ n800. I'll keep any chemicals that Nokia didn't put on the screen in the first place off my n800 and I would suggest others doing the same.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm very surprised at the defects you report, Adam. It would actually help Nokia (and you as well obviously) if you returned that for a good device.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm very surprised at the defects you report, Adam. It would
actually help Nokia (and you as well obviously) if you returned that for a good device.
I am as well. But as any new product introducion, there is going to be complications.

Until there is a more mortal injury to the device, I have no reason to return this evolutionary improvement of the Nokia n800. Should I get another, then I would consider it.

Adam

I noticed within an hours ownership of my N93, it had a slight defect. I thought on the same lines as you, it's not grave, it still functions well...

...a couple of months later...now it's dead. And I had the opportunity to have a swap and all.

Yes, our situations are different, yours is 'minor' aesthetic mine was a 'minor' bug. Just thinking to myself, if I were to be presented with an opportunity to have a near 'flawless' device from the beginning, I'd go for it.

I've noticed some 'flaws' already with my N800's screen, like a browny tint on the right when the screen is bright white...it's a tad brown on the right. It wasn't like that on the other N800's I've seen...

Yep, simple lessons. Life is not fair. Nothing is perfect from the factory. After all, the Nokia did not simply grow inside the box.

Funny thing,though. None of any of my Nokias I have owned have ever died or broken. Says a lot.

Come to think of it - I've seemed to swap all of mine within 3 months of use for an identical model...and they've mostly all ended up dying/lost/stolen/stored to the point of being lost

The only thing that survives to this day is faithful old 3310.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Adam in NYC View Post
I am as well. But as any new product introducion, there is going to be complications.
Point is what you've described is VERY unusual. I've seen hundreds of these and that's the first time I've heard of this. Trust me, Nokia tablet program folks would want to have a look at it.

Originally Posted by Jose_R.A.M View Post
I've noticed some 'flaws' already with my N800's screen, like a browny tint on the right when the screen is bright white...it's a tad brown on the right. It wasn't like that on the other N800's I've seen...
I'd return that one, too.