Active Topics

Poll: Do you consider this Mer release to be day to day usable on N8x0?
Poll Options
Do you consider this Mer release to be day to day usable on N8x0?

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by mrp View Post
does Digia's @web install in Mer?
I don't know but, tear is pretty nice. It makes it much more usable. After all, it is an internet tablet. Just wish it had bookmarks then it be perfect browser.

Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
Could you post a link to the deb file. I am unable to download it from their website as its taking me to a registration page. http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?...7&#entry170927. It looks like a nice player.
As an update, I did end up signing up to the site and downloaded quasar and installed. It don't start. At the terminal its giving the error while loading shared library: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

VLC on the other hand works. I was watching Iron man on it. The picture seem fine but, there is no audio.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't know how to change my vote on the poll, but Mer stopped working for me, even after I reinstalled it a few times. Some things worked, but not well enough for day-to-day usage. I look forward to a real working version, and I will eagerly try the next release.

If the version of FBreader was the latest one (which works great on the N810 and N800) and if Scid had continued to work, and if Liqbase was available, and if I could get other things to work better after installing them, I would use Mer happily; at first I was intending to go full-time Mer.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Turkiye
i think debian was better
all they need to do was fixing sound problem instead of building a totally new os

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I don't know how to change my vote on the poll, but Mer stopped working for me, even after I reinstalled it a few times. Some things worked, but not well enough for day-to-day usage. I look forward to a real working version, and I will eagerly try the next release.
Two thoughts: Broken SD card? or maybe the "turn on device through plugging in charger" problem?

If the version of FBreader was the latest one (which works great on the N810 and N800) and if Scid had continued to work, and if Liqbase was available, and if I could get other things to work better after installing them, I would use Mer happily; at first I was intending to go full-time Mer.
Liqbase works fine (I tested it on Xomap). Maybe some reliance on /home/user. Scid?
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I installed Mer on the Internal memory of my n810, so I don't think problems could be related to a broken sd card. It's also not related to device being plugged in, since it isn't.

Scid is a program I installed from repositories.

I don't know how to install Liqbase.

Good version of Fbreader could probably just be copied from Fbreader site; I just don't know how to do it. As I already said, good version works fine on n800 and n810.

Good release, Mer is getting better and better... but I'm afraid somebody cheated with the poll...
Seriously, am I the only one seeing two yes?
Mer can't be "trusted" for daily use because of the charger bug... having just one tablet and no other device to charge the battery could result in a very unpleasant scenario: battery totally empty and no way to charge it...
Apart from that you're really doing a great work

Why is it not possible to get those libraries for most of these programs to work? I looked in the maemo repositories and couldn't find them.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
i voted yes BUT ...

application manager need more stuff straight out of the box

specialy more multimedia stuff.

screen keyboard feedback is flaky

some labels on buttons are not right [nb_rthv_dcx]

BUT, it a fresh alternative for my n800 and the only hope for the 770.

thank you all for your efforts

This is the first release I installed, and although I voted for the second "yes" option in the Vorlon poll I must say it looks a lot better than I expected. Well done everyone!

The major showstopper for me is that I haven't managed to get BT DUN connectivity to work.

I haven't done much with it yet, but I'll play with it over the next few days and report any problems I come across. I assume the preferred channel for issues is bugzilla?

Tags
mer release