Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
As much as I do understand what you're doing there I also can't believe that that is the 'easiest' way to do this. I mentioned the process to a co-worker who laughed at that the steps included

And honestly, as much as I love the tablet and having maps on it - that workflow is indeed rather ridiculous (or that it is needed).
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Hey, just a stupid thought. Remember the cgi script that Gnuite built for the routes? That's a perl script, which means it can run from the tablet without any need for a webserver. I wonder if there would be a way he could export the database and the script that tool runs on so we could run it off our tablets, thus eliminating any need to go online each time we wanted to build a route.

Originally Posted by fragos View Post
I've always used http://www.gnuite.com/cgi-bin/gpx.cgi -- no editing required.
Yup that works as well and is the default in MaemoMapper if you download a route from there. But the method I use lets you choose custom routes (drag route as you deem fit to avoid certain highways that are usually jam packed) and isn't as picky when it comes to inputting an address. E.g. I can just say university of maryland college park in Google Maps. While if I did that on my tablet it'd report an error and say it's not a specific address thus not letting me use it.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Yeah, true. I like the google maps method too. But some kind of offline method still needs to be developed for Maemo Mapper.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Hamburg (Germany)
Originally Posted by holzauge View Post
... and found according 0 values for long/lat in the resulting XML files. Seems to me, that the google/mm-xml converter by gnuite fails in this point starting a few days ago.
I contacted John (gnuite) today and now it's fixed. Many thanks to him!

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Now I am confused reading this thread. Are you saying that I can install something that will allow me to create a route in Maemo Mapper without going online ?

How about a rundown on how to create a route PERIOD?
Something for an utter n00b like me, and others like me.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by ishida336 View Post
How about a rundown on how to create a route PERIOD?
Something for an utter n00b like me, and others like me.
If you're a Mapper noob check out http://FragosTech.com/MaemoMapper. I prefer to get my routes from my desktop at http://www.gnuite.com/cgi-bin/gpx.cgi, save the GPX format route and transfer it to the N810.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

You can also create the routes inside of Maemo Mapper. The only thing is, if you're only doing one route, it's best to do it in the tablet to save yourself the extra steps. If not, and you're doing a lot of routes at once, or need more than one stored locally, it's best to build them offline, copy them all to the tablet, and then load them as needed.

For custom, user defined, google routes, first create a bookmark and then put this in place of the address:
Code:
javascript:(function(){var%20script=document.createElement('script');script.src='http://www.elsewhere.org/GMapToGPX/gmaptogpx.js';document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(script);})()
Once that's saved, put it somewhere that it's easy to get to. Then simply surf over to google maps, click on "get directions, enter your start and end point, and then click "get directions". You should be presented with 3 possible routes. Pick the one you like best. If none of them are good enough, then simply grab the track that Google Maps presents you, and drag it around until it does.

Then click your new GMaptoGPX bookmark, copy the text inside, save as a .gpx file. That way you can have custom routes for very little effort.

Last edited by Lord Raiden; 2009-07-27 at 00:25.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Mableton, GA USA
Originally Posted by fragos View Post
If you're a Mapper noob check out http://FragosTech.com/MaemoMapper. I prefer to get my routes from my desktop at http://www.gnuite.com/cgi-bin/gpx.cgi, save the GPX format route and transfer it to the N810.
I just started using that site with Maemo Mapper on my 770, and it's really slick.

My wife thinks I'm crazy ... I drive back and forth to work some days with my 770 and my Navigon GPS both tracking me. It's fun to compare how they do ... Maemo Mapper does a fairly good job given its limitations, actually.