Active Topics

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
BTW, I think I should test this in a real plane; and use it as a cockpit backup. Anyone want to buy me a plane and/or flying lessons?
Why don't you just use it on your Rover enroute to Amsterdam for the Summit? Oh wait - the dang hardware would have to be released by then.... perhaps on the return flight then?

Last edited by EIPI; 2009-07-30 at 12:04.

I like the idea of an AirMan (or FlyMan, PlaneMan)
But not only as something to be used in a cockpit, but also as something that normal passengers can give useful information.
like those things:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColdFusion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
I like the idea of an AirMan (or FlyMan, PlaneMan)
But not only as something to be used in a cockpit, but also as something that normal passengers can give useful information.
like those things:
I had thought of that as well. Let's refine this idea a bit:

Maemo-powered touchscreen devices on the back of every seat. Has a SD slot that you could bring your own music/videos along for the flight. Don't like the airplane's selection of entertainment - well bring your own, and use it on a 12" media player on the back of your seat. Product placement! If done right (read, amazing hardware and software) - people would flock to get similar devices at home. There are issues - requirement for airplane messages to override the IFE, etc.... some thoughts to mull in your brain anyways.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
Why don't you just use it on your Rover enroute to Amsterdam for the Summit? Oh wait - the dang hardware would have to be released by then.... perhaps on the return flight then?
I'm not sure I'll be able to get a GPS lock (even on a Rover) in the middle of an A330's metal shell.

I'll just car mount it in my VW Scirocco and use it as a g-meter ;-)

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
It could at least serve as a backup for the main gauges. The 'Airman' application could also store things like flight manuals, maps, and checklists as part of an EFB (electronic flight bag).
I was thinking of adding some aviation information (flight control zones, reporting points and such) to OpenStreetMap to help with flight planning. That could possibly be integrated, as could sending your GPS traces from flights to goFlying.

I'm going to start the process to revalidate my PPL soon, and building some related software would be good for remembering how things work

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
I'm not sure I'll be able to get a GPS lock (even on a Rover) in the middle of an A330's metal shell.

I'll just car mount it in my VW Scirocco and use it as a g-meter ;-)
Well, I was at a window seat on a A330 last week returning from Frankfurt, and it seemed to work fine I like the Scirocco idea though. Speaking of g-meter - that is an absolute must for anything aviation related - your nz - or vertical acceleration.

The Following User Says Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
With N810 you can:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
The main consideration is whether the cabin crew will let you use it, but if you ask nicely it does work (sometimes even on a N810):
Attached Images

Originally Posted by lma View Post
The main consideration is whether the cabin crew will let you use it, but if you ask nicely it does work (sometimes even on a N810):
Isn't GPS just a passive receiver? What could possibly go wrong?

Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
Isn't GPS just a passive receiver? What could possibly go wrong?
Absolutely nothing, but explaining that to someone who doesn't understand what a GPS is or the issues involved and has been trained to think "RF bad" is an exercise left to the reader.

Tags
accelerometer, fremantle