Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
To my own shame, the oldest task in the maemo.org is really old and belongs to me.

I volunteered writing a couple of texts ofn the future maemo.nokia.com site (the successor of http://nokia.com/os2008 - briefly said).

http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Texts_for_maemo.nokia.com

I have just completed the draft of the first one, trying to explain the beauty of free software and open communities to the average potential user of Maemo.

Feedback here and edits in the wiki page are welcome.

The other one is about developing for Maemo. There I will try to explain the role of the official offer coming via the SDK, the semi-official Qt alternative, the many other community alternatives and the platform development approach.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Better late than never!

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I thought you did a very good job on your summary and only made minor changes to it for readability and to remove a little awkwardness here and there. I thought it was quite interesting that you talked about meeting fellow Maemo users in a city you've never been in before. You did a good job making it sound enticing and your passion for the project shines through, so I didn't really feel the need to make any real content changes there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
- - -
http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Texts_for_maemo.nokia.com

I have just completed the draft of the first one, trying to explain the beauty of free software and open communities to the average potential user of Maemo.
- - -
Do do some more writing . . .

I certainly enjoyed reading it !

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KristianW For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Thanks! I have gone through it again, hopefully we have the final version.

- The first sentence was way too long. Native speakers always tell to us Latin-based language speakers that our sentences are too long and we should put more dots.

- Some of the extensions in the text took a position a bit too idealistic/simplistic suggesting indirectly some characteristic exclusive to open platforms: e.g. software developed 'by other users' (iPhone developers are also iPhone users).

- In some cases a sentence would go too far from the original meaning intended, after several benevolent edits from different editors. I tried to keep the points made pulling back to the original meaning.

- The text was getting a bit too long.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Kudos. I thing the "Beware' paragraph was apt and adds some excitement and possibilities into the standard template of the passion of open source development and what it can offer. That is what would make any user consider to delve into Maemo more and become a power users/developer.

The Following User Says Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Thanks! I have gone through it again, hopefully we have the final version.
I'll make a quick second pass on it then.

EDIT: I made no changes. I feel comfortable calling the current version "final".

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-08-04 at 02:01.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post: