Reply
Thread Tools
Den in USA's Avatar
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 638 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
#11
Originally Posted by chatterbox View Post
I've been considering getting an N810 for the nicer screen... Roger, are you sure that didn't play into your desire for a new N810 at all?

I think I could deal with not having full size SD cards at times in exchange for the ability to read the screen in sunlight when I brought the N810 along.

Anyone else think it's worth it?
I would love to see a photo of an N810 display in full sunlight before deciding if there is that much difference. As I understand it, the brightness must be all the way up so that the display is drawing more battery power. I have always set my N800 for 50% brightness level.
__________________
N800 / Diablo / 16gb int / 16gb ext / Globalsat BT-359 gps ..... Dell Streak 5 - Android 2.2.2

Last edited by Den in USA; 2009-02-12 at 22:59.
 
RogerS's Avatar
Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
#12
Originally Posted by chatterbox View Post
I've been considering getting an N810 for the nicer screen... Roger, are you sure that didn't play into your desire for a new N810 at all?
Yes, I think it must have.
__________________
N900 Guide Brief intro to the Nokia N900 (http://n900guide.com/)
Maemoan since July 2005 )
 
sunnydips's Avatar
Posts: 208 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Florida
#13
There's always someone somewhere who will steal if the opportunity is there. I've left things in the open in public too to come back and find them gone. You cant help but feel hurt. I'm a grown man and I wanted to cry when my PSP disappeared. Good luck!
 
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 835 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
#14
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
I would love to see a photo of an N810 display in full sunlight before deciding if there is that much difference. As I understand it, the brightness must be all the way up so that the display is drawing more battery power. I have always set my N800 for 50% brightness level.
It's actually the opposite. From my understanding the light sensor on the N810 controls the screen like this:
imagine the light sensor reads a value from 0 to 10 (0 = dark, 7 = normal light in a room, 9/10 = sunlight).
As the value travels from 0-8 the N810 brightens the backlight to try to keep the screen visible. Once the light sensor reads 9/10, the backlight is turned off so that the transflective screen operates (instead of using the backlight, transflective essentially means light from outside is reflected back by the LCD to produce the image; thus no backlight is required, but the display is only as bright as the light shinning on it... thus why it is only used in direct/bright sunlight instead of all of the time).
My brother has an 810 that I've been dying to see in bright outdoor conditions as he says it's great, doesn't even notice the difference (compared to my N800 which is damn near impossible to see in such situations), but it's been gray and cloudy for a long time here (good ol' Canadian Winter...)
 

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Den in USA's Avatar
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 638 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
#15
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
It's actually the opposite. From my understanding the light sensor on the N810 controls the screen like this:
imagine the light sensor reads a value from 0 to 10 (0 = dark, 7 = normal light in a room, 9/10 = sunlight).
As the value travels from 0-8 the N810 brightens the backlight to try to keep the screen visible. Once the light sensor reads 9/10, the backlight is turned off so that the transflective screen operates (instead of using the backlight, transflective essentially means light from outside is reflected back by the LCD to produce the image; thus no backlight is required, but the display is only as bright as the light shinning on it... thus why it is only used in direct/bright sunlight instead of all of the time).
My brother has an 810 that I've been dying to see in bright outdoor conditions as he says it's great, doesn't even notice the difference (compared to my N800 which is damn near impossible to see in such situations), but it's been gray and cloudy for a long time here (good ol' Canadian Winter...)
What confused me is that my Garmin GPS must have the brightness set to maximum if you want to view the display in sunlight.
__________________
N800 / Diablo / 16gb int / 16gb ext / Globalsat BT-359 gps ..... Dell Streak 5 - Android 2.2.2
 
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Minneapolis, MN
#16
I can confirm the usefulness of the N810's display in full sunlight. When my N810 broke, I very strongly considered replacing it with an N800. I don't use the GPS, I use a Bluetooth keyboard when I'm doing any substantial amount of typing, and I'd much prefer to use the same SD cards I use for my other portable electronics. The deal-breaker was the display - I just couldn't give up the ability to use my tablet outside on a nice day.

|)
|)enji
 
Posts: 4,556 | Thanked: 1,612 times | Joined on Dec 2007
#17
I've found that whenever I do need to use my tablet outside (usually for music). I just crank the display brightness to max for a while to do what I need to do.
__________________
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
They're maemo and MeeGo...

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...
 
Den in USA's Avatar
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 638 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
#18
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I've found that whenever I do need to use my tablet outside (usually for music). I just crank the display brightness to max for a while to do what I need to do.
Interesting, thats what I assumed one would do. Someone else stated that you could actually turn the brightness down in the sunlight.
__________________
N800 / Diablo / 16gb int / 16gb ext / Globalsat BT-359 gps ..... Dell Streak 5 - Android 2.2.2
 
Posts: 4,556 | Thanked: 1,612 times | Joined on Dec 2007
#19
I've tried that, it doesn't work. When cranking it up, it does make it so you can see at the sacrifice of battery life (the n810 is still better in this department though).
__________________
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
They're maemo and MeeGo...

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...
 
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,141 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
#20
FWIW, I am NOT going to subscribe to the New York Times on my new Kindle. It has nothing to do with money.

The fact is, page layout and color are part of the "body language" of a story. The Kindle doesn't give you that. It leaves the story bland and you blind, relatively speaking.

The reason the world is color and not black and white is that color gives you more useful information. Black and white is ok for certain artistic effects, but Nature clearly prefers color, and so do I.

For historical reasons, much material has been published in black and white. Much writing has represented speech, which is not enhanced by color.

Black and white etext is something that will be popular for a very limited period of time, just as black and white tv was.

The Kindle screen size and other features are works of genius for this particular instant. Larger color tablets are the wave of the future. Mobile phones are the real niche product.

I can picture a time when I abandon my PC entirely, and just work with several smaller devices -- perhaps three or four.

For now, color tablets are essential, till specialized devices like the Kindle leave them in the dust.
 
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:57.