Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Can't wait to give it a spin. Being able to use the same partition to boot from and chroot into would be great (with the easy setup of course).

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Here's the rootfs for the partition. Just plain Mer 0.15 with tweaks to work in a chroot.

http://qole.org/files/easy-mer-015-1.tgz

You need to change, in Maemo, /usr/bin/mer-switch to run start-hildon-easymer instead of start-hildon... (no longer necessary when using easy mer 0.15 deb)

I am camping for a couple of days, but I'll try to get my updated .deb out the door asap...

Last edited by qole; 2009-08-12 at 17:33. Reason: struck out the requirement to edit mer-switch

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Thanks, I'll d/l and try when I get home. Golf night tonight.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
New deb available in my repo, along with the image file (download with the installer). Hopefully the bugs are squashed.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by qole View Post
You're alive! This is a Good Thing[TM].

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Qole,

Installed the rootfs linked to above earlier in the week. Worked with the old Easy-Mer. Booted to it as well - wireless device not ready? no wifi available. I didn't play with it too much though. No other problems that I noticed.

Installed the new version of Easy-Mer - forgot to edit my .chroot file on first launch. Got that fixed and booted into it no problem. A suggestion, now that Tear is included in Mer, you shouldn't need a menu item for it (nevermind, your menu item uses the Maemo Tear, with bookmarks, etc ) Maybe get rid of the Quit command? Every now and then I hit that instead of Logout and have to reboot to get back to Maemo.

I still have an issue with using TearBookmarks on the Maemo sidebar. It works fine until I run Easy-Mer, then it will not lauch Tear from a bookmark. It will still open a new window and bookmark editor though. Rebooting cures this until I run Easy-Mer again.

I'll play more later. Thanks for this great program.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 183 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ italy
on my app.manager I still find verison 0.13.1 is it ok or will install an old version of mer?

pinguino89: the version is 0.15.1, update your application manager.

lemmyslender: thanks for the bugtesting. I don't use Tear bookmarks, I'll have to install it to find out what's breaking there. The wifi problem is also an unknown, maybe because I installed Mer to my N800 and you have an N810? The Quit removal suggestion is a good one.

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
You're alive! This is a Good Thing[TM].
I have very limited experience in this area, but I suspect it is better than being dead.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 183 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ italy
ok thanks, probably the program have ben updated less than a minute after i've updated the app manager

Qole -

I have an N800 as well. I just tried rebooting into the Easy-Mer partition. Network icon (2 computers) shows up. Clicking on it yields menu with no wireless networks listed, just grey text indicating device not ready.

I have quickly looked but don't see any Mer info on restarting the wireless connection. Also what is the root password for the image, or do I need to set one?

Tags
chroot, easy debian, mer, testing, ubuntu