Active Topics

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Beijing, China
Go to http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer, if you don't know Mer, I think it maybe what you are searching for.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment here... and ask one simple question.

What's the draw of 100% opensource software? Why is it important? What project from 100% free (FOSS) software - Linux and Mozilla withstanding - that's really worth the fuss?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
This thread discusses some of those ideas and has a cool diagram to help provide insight.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=30698

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jandmdickerson For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Read that. Was looking for more opinion.

Thanks though. Very good article indeed.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
What's the draw of 100% opensource software? Why is it important?
At a fundamental level, it's the "standing on the shoulders of giants" concept - to quote wikipedia:
"One who develops future intellectual pursuits by understanding the research and works created by notable thinkers of the past"
It's what humanity did ever since we could pass along information and ideas, at least until artificial restrictions like intellectual property came along.

On a more practical level, open means that bugs can be fixed and features added by anyone. Even if you don't have the time and skills to do it, someone else probably will. Closer to home, search bugs.maemo.org for keyword "patch" and realize that only open components can be fixed by the community.

What project from 100% free (FOSS) software - Linux and Mozilla withstanding - that's really worth the fuss?
Some high-profile projects that have really changed things include asterisk, apache, mysql, openoffice, high-level languages like perl, python & ruby, and even full blown desktop environments like GNOME and KDE.

But it's not even about complete projects, think "building blocks" instead - projects like the linux kernel, gcc, openssl, busybox and/or the various GNU *utils, X11, GTK+/QT, libjpeg, libpng, openssl, gstreamer and so on. The more closed components you have in the stack the harder it is to fix things and the greater the chances that the project will eventually disappear into obscurity.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
fyi there is http://wiki.maemo.org/Why_the_closed_packages and also http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Components_and_packages that address some of the questions made in this thread.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
So what are the other 10% that aren't open? I obviously can't run Fremantle on my N800.. so I'm oblivious to it as a simple user. Looking at Diablo.. I can NOT understand why I'm forced to have to have a web browser I don't want (MicroB) when I have Tear, an email client I never use (I don't really like checking email on my N800 anyway--but if I were going to, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use the one it came with) and a host other other applications for which I'd rather use the truly open alternatives for. Did Fremantle change that too? Just hoping so--given what's said, it sounds like it. I hope.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I can NOT understand why I'm forced to have to have a web browser I don't want (MicroB) when I have Tear, an email client I never use (I don't really like checking email on my N800 anyway--but if I were going to, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use the one it came with) and a host other other applications for which I'd rather use the truly open alternatives for. Did Fremantle change that too? Just hoping so--given what's said, it sounds like it. I hope.
This really just bends down to some bad design decisions, - it is entirely possible to remove applications, except it's not as easy as it could be (due to the way SSU was made in Diablo). In terms of web-browser lock-in, there's another thread where people devise how to unlock it - based on work where we simply asked a developer of MicroB on how it could be done
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
The browser engine is used to display HTML in other applications... but anyway it's OSS.

In the Fremantle platform an important new closed piece are the OpenGL ES libraries.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
In the Fremantle platform an important new closed piece are the OpenGL ES libraries.
Ho, no, they will add new closed code ?

I thought that Maemo 5 would be more free ...