Active Topics

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Amsterdam
Hello everybody,

After a great telephone meeting with Jussi Makinen from Nokia, I can now share with you the details of the Nokia co-creation project.
But first I want to say that Nokia is going to be very open with the whole community during this project. Everybody, whether it is online or off-line, will be involved in the development of these Maemo concepts and all results will be shared online.
The results after the Summit will be the start for an online Brainstorm on Maemo.org, where you can work on the concepts together with Nokia. By doing this Nokia is the first company I know that is willing to be so open with 'the outside world' in this stage of product development and I praise them for that!

So, back to the project - the complete project exists of 5 phases, which I will explain now.

PROJECT: "Creativity on the Move"

1) Having a dialogue with the Maemo Community online
In the following weeks, we would like to have a dialogue with you about Mobile Creativity. Think about applications that are about having fun, that will inspire you to use it, enable quick and easy results; it is snappy creativity in action, you feel creative by doing it!

The topics we will focus on are:
- Instant and fun media editing/remixing/sharing (combining, editing & sharing pictures, music and video on your device)
- Serendipitous (accidental/surprising) content discovery (semantic browsing for content stored on your device and internet)

We will ask some questions that you can respond to, or you can bring your own ideas to the table. Everything that is said during this dialogue will be used as input for the expert co-creation session before the Summit.

2) The expert co-creation session
As I mentioned before, on Thursday the 8th of October, there will be an expert co-creation session in Amsterdam. An important part of such session is finding the right participants. We are always looking for a perfect mix of backgrounds, expertise's and personalities. Everybody should be open-minded, creative and easy-going in groups.
For this session we want to invite 4-5 Maemo Community members and 4-5 lead-users or experts from outside the Maemo Community. Together with the Nokia team, they will work on new Maemo concepts.
We want to find the right people by asking you to recommend your peers, based on their expertise with the topic, as well as their activities within the Maemo Community. Of course, you can also apply yourself.
We (Fronteer Strategy) will contact the people that are recommended or willing to participate to speak with them in person. Eventually we will choose the best mix of participants together with Nokia.

We realise that 5 people out of this large community is very little, but all results will be shared with you afterwards.

3) The Maemo Summit Showcase
On Saturday 10 October, the results of the expert co-creation session will be put on Maemo.org and will be presented during the Maemo Summit. We would like to ask a Nokia and a Maemo participant to present these results together. Summit attendees can give their opinion and feedback. During the rest of the day, the whole community can vote on the concepts online, so that at the end of the day, we have insight in the most promising concepts. These will be further developed on Sunday.

4) The Garage Session
On Sunday 11 October there will be a Garage session during the Summit. During this session, Summit attendees and Nokia will work together on creating more tangible concepts. During this session, we want to inspire development and creativity; the whole session is about having fun and finding the best way to continue.

5) Further Development: Maemo Brainstorm
The results of the Garage Session will again be shared online and are the kick-off for a Maemo Community Brainstorm. Also during this phase, Nokia values your input and wants to collaboratively develop the concepts into a final product that can be made available for end-users.

I hope you have a good idea now of what you can expect the coming weeks and how you can be part of this before, during and after the Maemo Summit. This week, 2 Nokia product managers will introduce themselves on this forum. They will participate in the discussion and share the Nokia vision on the topic, which they can also explain into more detail.

I will also place the first discussion topic this week, so we can start the online dialogue!

looking forward to your reactions,

Marieke

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Marieke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Pistoia, Italy
Originally Posted by Marieke View Post
1) Having a dialogue with the Maemo Community online
In the following weeks, we would like to have a dialogue with you about Mobile Creativity. Think about applications that are about having fun, that will inspire you to use it, enable quick and easy results; it is snappy creativity in action, you feel creative by doing it!

The topics we will focus on are:
- Instant and fun media editing/remixing/sharing (combining, editing & sharing pictures, music and video on your device)
- Serendipitous (accidental/surprising) content discovery (semantic browsing for content stored on your device and internet)

We will ask some questions that you can respond to, or you can bring your own ideas to the table. Everything that is said during this dialogue will be used as input for the expert co-creation session before the Summit.
Let's start from the first part.

First a question: I could have ideas for both topics, but can this require external services (existing or to be implemented) or all the stuff has to work only among devices?

For example... a service like Google Latitude is useless without a server that keeps all data and shares with other users (ah... if only Google would release API for Latitude....).

Let's make this point clear and then I'll prepare my ideas.

Hi Andy,
Right you are, lets start at the beginning!
To answer your question, I checked with Nokia, and at this point all the ideas are welcome. So yes, it’s ok also even if it requires external services.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Marieke,

I am extremely interested in this on more than one level!

I think I'd be a very good candidate for your expert co-creation session, for the following reasons:

1) 7 years experience in design and detailing of circuit cards and related components for radar

2) 6 years as a consumer products designer, including submitting original inventions for patent

3) 1.5 years as a product tester and lab technician

4) 3 years as a Nokia employee, first in the US factory in quality assurance and later in reverse logistics. I led product inspection teams and developed a prototype mobile process auditing solution for the internet tablets in the factory. I was also the US QA engineer for the N800 and largely responsible for its successful introduction at CES

In general I have 20+ years programming experience, including UI design, and also over 10 years solid modeling of products. In fact I have already done some workups for internet tablet concepts and was planning to continue that anyway-- I have submitted myself for summit sponsorship and if I was able to come I was going to bring anything I had done.

Thanks for your consideration!

EDIT: it looks like I am coming to Amsterdam. Also, I am working on solid model designs to illustrate my suggestions.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-08-31 at 19:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Ok, let's give you some ideas:

1) A feature similar to Google Latitude: integrated with Online/Offline status (a user can set if I want to be visible from his contacts, choosing which yes or not, a switch for each one). When I user set his status to Online, the device get the position using GPS/AGPS ecc... and update it on $ONLINESERVICE.

Then, a cool widget, integrated with Nokia Maps (well... Nokia bought a maps company some months ago... are you going to use it or not?! ) so when I go online I can see on the map where my friends are.

Clicking on a contact on the map I can sen a IM, start a chat, a voip call, send a link, a file, start a......... well you understand

Of course this require an online service. I already talked to Quim about this at the Maemo Summit 2008, don't know if he can remember the conversation, anyway it doesn't matter... I'm here to explain again these concepts, again and again until I cannot see them implemented in the next device

2) Discover friends: using gps+internet connection, discovering friends or completely unknown people who put themselves in "dicovery mode": I can see the user "John Doe" on the map, see what is sharing (a prevew of photos, videos, music, ecc...) and ask him/her to meet and share: via wifi, via bluetooth or whatever you want.

3) Collaborative maps: let's suppose we're some friends, we want to map &SOMETHING around the city. We go for a walk, when we find an istance of $SOMETHING around the city, we press a button and the application (using GPS position and sending data to the server) makes the new spot available on the other users map.

At the end they can save this map and continue later or share with other users.

Useful to map wifi access points, bus stops, kebab points, ecc... and all you want to map.

Again: you can integrate this with Google Maps or use your own, no matter.

One important thing: please provide API for ALL of these services! Integration is the best thing we can have. Don't close everything!

These are three ideas... I could have many others, but I'd like to read some feedback before continuing.

I hope you find these interesting, if not, thanks anyway for giving me the possibility to explain them

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andy80 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
too bad I'm not able to attend the summit. This sounds very interesting. hopefully there's going to be a good online coverage during the summit.

Texrat sounds like a good person to represent the community at the co-creation, but I hope there's a spot or two for average users as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
@andy80:

Nokia already has an experimental service that does most everything you want for S60: Nokia Friendview.

I love most everything about it (and all the additional input you gave here), except that it's closed, closed, closed...

Which brings us to...

Originally Posted by andy80 View Post
One important thing: please provide API for ALL of these services! Integration is the best thing we can have. Don't close everything!
Better not provide an API but use existing protocols as far as possible. You can do a lot of what you suggested with XMPP (including location information)... Why not use that instead of yet another API? (Does any of you young guys remember the good old days when there were RFCs instead of APIs ?)

Augment it with new stuff (or a web service that has an API) only if absolutly necessary.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
"Creativity on the Move"?

Two words: GIMP Mobile.

EDIT: I posted too soon. I think something like an Inkscape Mobile would be better. You can mix vector and bitmaps easily. Quickly add text to photos, do freehand drawings and then move and resize the elements... throw photos and pictures into templates (party invitations, birthday cards, etc)...

Ah, I guess I'm just describing the next version of liqbase.

Last edited by qole; 2009-08-17 at 16:40.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the first ideas & reactions guys!

@timoph: we will do our very best to make the online part just as good as the offline part. We will upload results, visuals, discussion topics, etc. The whole online community is also invited to vote on the best concepts, so you will be involved.

@ everybody who is interested in participating in the expert co-creation session: Just so you know that you are seen: I will create a 'longlist' of potential participants and from this list we will eventually choose the candidates (after personal contact and together with Nokia)

I'll post some more detailed topic-questions soon.

thanks!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marieke For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Marieke View Post
Thanks for the first ideas & reactions guys!

@ everybody who is interested in participating in the expert co-creation session: Just so you know that you are seen: I will create a 'longlist' of potential participants and from this list we will eventually choose the candidates (after personal contact and together with Nokia)

I'll post some more detailed topic-questions soon.

thanks!
we'll wait for it
p.s: you can use the wiki if you want.

Tags
co-creation, fronteer, maemo summit, nokia