Active Topics

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post
I mean really, after all, we wouldn't want any fart apps on our tablets now would we?!
Not unless it was a REALLY GOOD one, apparently.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
I agree with you - it may not be mainstream - but no phone is a niche in the market sense. Its either mainstream (in the sense of a big main player along with others) or behind.

And secondly in US Smartphone sales iPhone is 2nd to RIM - so its mainstream in US.

In global smartphone hardware market they are 3rd place. Whether that's mainstream or not is another debate.
Apple didn't even have a phone 3 years ago. Now they are #3 globally, #2 in the US for smartphones...? Niche indeed...

Last edited by Wes Doobner; 2009-08-19 at 20:37.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I mean really, after all, we wouldn't want any fart apps on our tablets now would we?!
So long as the sound files are Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike and in Ogg Vorbis format, it should be okay.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
We should all campaign for Nokia to release the source of osso-fart immediately! You know they must have written one

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Point is, people who "poo poo" (pun intended?) Apple's app store by pretending all it is is fart apps are kind of missing the point. There are plenty of good apps in there; sure at first there was a largish collection of junk, and there still is; but as the app store evolves, we now have big companies putting serious effort into making apps and selling them, too...Navigon and Tom Tom are selling high priced navigation apps; there are plenty of well known gaming companies putting out PC-quality games. There are productivity apps, utilities, big news outlets putting out apps... I could go on but there really is no need. You get the point.

The interesting thing about the app store, and to a larger degree, those who denigrate the app store as being "too messy", or too full of fart apps... to me the app store is one of the most democratic, socially driven retail environments I have ever seen. Good apps bubble to the surface; they get word of mouth on blogs and in news reports. Bad apps - same thing. Reviews are right there for the taking. iPhone apps are talked about, shown off, and reported on every day all over the place. Yes some are farts and glow sticks. Most aren't.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wes Doobner For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nwerneck View Post
I don't think it is a coincidence.

If competing with the crowd means starting to wear the 'right' clothes, listen to the 'right' music and hanging out with the popular 'winners', I sure prefer to stay at the geeky niche being myself.

The chess club is open for anyone to come in.
If Nokia's goal is to become a small player in the cell market - a niche player if you will-, shrink it's profits and lay off half of it's workforce, then your analogy-cum-business strategy is sound.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Point is, people who "poo poo" (pun intended?) Apple's app store by pretending all it is is fart apps are kind of missing the point. There are plenty of good apps in there; sure at first there was a largish collection of junk, and there still is; but as the app store evolves, we now have big companies putting serious effort into making apps and selling them, too...Navigon and Tom Tom are selling high priced navigation apps; there are plenty of well known gaming companies putting out PC-quality games. There are productivity apps, utilities, big news outlets putting out apps... I could go on but there really is no need. You get the point.

The interesting thing about the app store, and to a larger degree, those who denigrate the app store as being "too messy", or too full of fart apps... to me the app store is one of the most democratic, socially driven retail environments I have ever seen. Good apps bubble to the surface; they get word of mouth on blogs and in news reports. Bad apps - same thing. Reviews are right there for the taking. iPhone apps are talked about, shown off, and reported on every day all over the place. Yes some are farts and glow sticks. Most aren't.
Yes, there are good apps, no doubt about it and no arguments about that. As a developer for the iPhone though, I have to say that the "good apps bubble to the surface" isn't always the case, which is why there's so much hate tossed at fart apps and other apps of similar use/value taking up so many of the top spots.

The one and only way you make money in the app store (as of this moment anyways) is to get and stay in "New and Noteworthy" on the US store for a week or so, it seems. If you aren't there, no one's going to ever even see your app. It might as well not even exist.

And my real problem is that I'm just not sure how to really fix that. (And no, saying "make better apps and more people will use it" isn't really true here.)

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
So long as the sound files are Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike and in Ogg Vorbis format, it should be okay.
Ogg is only good to record farts. FLAC is the thing! If the Rover doesn't come all set up to play FLAC, and open up an EULA each time you play a WMA or MP3 file warning you about the dangers of using proprietary technology, I'll give up Nokia and buy a Meggy Jr RGB!!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
... to me the app store is one of the most democratic, socially driven retail environments I have ever seen. Good apps bubble to the surface; they get word of mouth on blogs and in news reports. Bad apps - same thing. Reviews are right there for the taking. iPhone apps are talked about, shown off, and reported on every day all over the place. Yes some are farts and glow sticks. Most aren't.
Dude, I give huge props to Apple for their masterful marketing and generally incredible product design. They know which consumer's buttons to press and in what specific order to do so.

But AppStore = democratic?? Get real..
The FCC wouldn't be making a fuss over it if it's 'democratic'. What the (current) AppStore has is just a popularity-based announcement system. I've read they're working hard to implement a better system to overcome the deluge of apps (+70K now???) with tags and such, we'll see what they can come up with.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
to me the app store is one of the most democratic, socially driven retail environments I have ever seen.
The apple app store is great. I have nothing against Nokia making a Maemo store where you can install stuff via the "iapt-get --payment-method=paypal ifart/sid" command. I just don't want what comes in the package: the system has to be "secure", and the company end up owning the device more than we do.

But I'm not sure is right to call democratic a market that has a private unquestionable owner who censors people and can go on saying who can enter and who can not, with no explanations. It's not just about the mature content issues (it seems this problem has ended). You all have seen the recent Google Voice scandal. Is that a democratic market?

The World of Warcraft Auction House, now that is a democratic market!...

Last edited by nwerneck; 2009-08-19 at 20:59.