Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post
If Nokia's goal is to become a small player in the cell market - a niche player if you will-, shrink it's profits and lay off half of it's workforce, then your analogy-cum-business strategy is sound.
Wait, you just called Nokia a "small player in the cell phone market"?

Maybe this decades-old company is being managed only by dumb people, and they should hire you as the one CEO that will save the company from the Apple threat they are so much afraid of!!

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Yes, there are good apps, no doubt about it and no arguments about that. As a developer for the iPhone though, I have to say that the "good apps bubble to the surface" isn't always the case, which is why there's so much hate tossed at fart apps and other apps of similar use/value taking up so many of the top spots.

The one and only way you make money in the app store (as of this moment anyways) is to get and stay in "New and Noteworthy" on the US store for a week or so, it seems. If you aren't there, no one's going to ever even see your app. It might as well not even exist.

And my real problem is that I'm just not sure how to really fix that. (And no, saying "make better apps and more people will use it" isn't really true here.)
About half ther apps I have on my phone I heard about in a newspaper/magazine article or on a blog somewhere. Word of mouth for good apps drives their popularity. And by good, I guess I mean - apps that people want, and that are useful in the context of how people use their phones.

I can also say with some amount of confidence that as I sit here perusing the categories in the app store, and looking at the top "paid" and top "free" of each category... most apps that show up are pretty decent overall; maybe some are "just" entertainment... but people like entertainment, too...

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Apple didn't even have a phone 3 years ago. Now they are #3 globally, #2 in the US for smartphones...? Niche indeed...
Guys. Mainstream is not a synonym for the largest COMPANY but largest MARKET.

Originally Posted by nwerneck View Post
Wait, you just called Nokia a "small player in the cell phone market"?

Maybe this decades-old company is being managed only by dumb people, and they should hire you as the one CEO that will save the company from the Apple threat they are so much afraid of!!
Can you actually read what I wrote, or are you just being argumentative? I said "if Nokia's GOAL IS TO BECOME a small player.."

Of course, AIG, GM and Chrysler are decades old companies, too... they must know what they are doing...

Ah whatever... have a great day, sir.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
The FCC wouldn't be making a fuss over it if it's 'democratic'. What the (current) AppStore has is just a popularity-based announcement system. I've read they're working hard to implement a better system to overcome the deluge of apps (+70K now???) with tags and such, we'll see what they can come up with.
Jesus... I'm talking about the popularity of apps and you want to argue about Apple's approval policy... well I guess you got me there...

Can you actually read what I wrote, or are you just being argumentative? I said "if Nokia's GOAL IS TO BECOME a small player.."
I did understand, but I found it absurd anyway. I then distorted your words using classic rhetoric techniques to make you look silly and think a bit more about the subject. Sorry!

What is the "cell phone" market anyway? We're in the middle of a mess of media players, ebook readers, gps, cheap phones, expansive netbooks... You really think all of this will converge into the iPhone as the one product that people in general will want to buy?

I still carry my 1100 around. Best phone ever. You believe the iPhone will one day sell as many units? Not a chance. Maybe Apple will win more money selling the future iPhones then Nokia will selling their future 1100s, but still they will not turn into a "small player in the cell phone market".

Originally Posted by nwerneck View Post
I did understand, but I found it absurd anyway. I then distorted your words using classic rhetoric techniques to make you look silly and think a bit more about the subject. Sorry!

What is the "cell phone" market anyway? We're in the middle of a mess of media players, ebook readers, gps, cheap phones, expansive netbooks... You really think all of this will converge into the iPhone as the one product that people in general will want to buy?

I still carry my 1100 around. Best phone ever. You believe the iPhone will one day sell as many units? Not a chance. Maybe Apple will win more money selling the future iPhones then Nokia will selling their future 1100s, but still they will not turn into a "small player in the cell phone market".

Jeeze thanks Socrates... classic rhetoric. More like classic obfuscation.

You must be a real joy at parties.

And while I'm sure Nokia is proud you are still using the 1100... I'm also sure they'd be happy to sell you a new phone as well... that's uh, how they continue to stay in business, in case you didn't know... by selling phones...Mr. Chess club...

Distort my words to make me look silly... indeed... what a jerk.

Jeeze thanks Socrates... classic rhetoric. More like classic obfuscation.
Yes!

You must be a real joy at parties.
No... I never go out, all I have is this forum.

And while I'm sure Nokia is proud you are still using the 1100... I'm also sure they'd be happy to sell you a new phone as well... that's uh, how they continue to stay in business, in case you didn't know... by selling phones...Mr. Chess club...
Indeed! Maybe they'll be victims of their own success in the near future, because the Rover will be so great nobody will want to buy the future tablets.

Hey, what are they discussing in the forums of all other smartphone platforms out there? How are symbyan fans going to bring more iphone developers to their platform? How is microsoft going to bring more iphone developers to WinMo? How is moblin going to attract more iphone developers? Android? And what plans does Apple have to maintain the current iPhone developers?

Are we going to see dozens of apple app store clones for each platform? And is there any chance a single one of them would manage to conquer the current iphone developers and userbase?

The iPhone war is over, and Apple won it with the iPhone! Nokia should look to what will be "the next iPhone". It's not about attracting iphone developers, but attracting developers to something in the future that we don't even know exactly how is going to be.

I bought my tablet because it does something my 1100 doesn't do. I will only buy a new Nokia product if it is something that neither my phone or tablet do. And if I want iPhone applications, I will go buy iPhone, and not whatever product Nokia did to try to attract iPhone developers. Cut the middle man.

(of course, if I break one of my products, or if I decide to have a hardware upgrade, I'll have to buy something new...)

And sorry for being a jerk!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Alright you two, get a room.

I just came back from a beer with frinds-of-a-friend. A guy there had an iPhone. Guess what was the application he wanted to show me the most? SCUMMVM!

We (me) also wanted to look at Wikipedia what was the area of Netherlands compared to Portugal. I couldn't see because there was no wifi there. He picked the phone up, but gave up. Either he was not nerd enough, found it too difficult to use, or wanted to save on the Internet consumption.

So, not impressed yet...

(yeah, I know, he was probably just a n00b, but anyway...)