Active Topics

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Hi,

i have started to convert osm-gps-map into a full google-maps style widget. See the first screenshot of gpxview using it here:

Further work will focus on easy integration into other applications. My hope is that this will enable a whole new bunch of map enabled applications.

MoG

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
I use osm-gps-map in eCoach also and I'm sad that i didnt found it much earlier, it rocks!

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by sampppa View Post
I use osm-gps-map in eCoach also and I'm sad that i didnt found it much earlier, it rocks!
Yepp, it's cool!

But it really needs some work to be perfect for maemo as e.g. default redraw events come too fast for the omap to handle. You thus have to reduce the refresh frequency to avoid lags. Also there are some (strange) expose events on maemo when you start dragging which cause some flickering at the begin of each map dragging. Another thing i noticed is that it uses gdkpixbufs unternally for the map tiles which is overkill and wastes cpu time and memory. Etc etc ...

So there's really a reason that we make one version specifially targetted for maemo. If everybody takes the original version all people will end up fixing the same issues (e.g. your app still has these visual "jumps" while dragging).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Cool widget, indeed!

Would it make sense to put the controls in the right side by default, considering that a majority of users will use these controls with the right hand?

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Cool widget, indeed!

Would it make sense to put the controls in the right side by default, considering that a majority of users will use these controls with the right hand?
Are you sure? I always hold N800 with my left hand and use buttons and left part of the screen with left thumb.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Yesterday I tried this widget for the first time and the first instinct was to use the right hand even if I was sustaining the device with the left. The buttons require certain precision. But you might be right, let's get ourselves more used to this interesting widget.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
My biggest complaint about anything OSM based is not the app (or widget) using the maps, but the maps themselves. They are so sketchy and rudimentary for my city, they are really not usable.

They look very good for Europe, however.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by qole View Post
My biggest complaint about anything OSM based is not the app (or widget) using the maps, but the maps themselves. They are so sketchy and rudimentary for my city, they are really not usable.

They look very good for Europe, however.
Then you know what you have to do this year... ;-)

Yea, here even my very small village (but very near Berlin) is perfectly covered...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Then you know what you have to do this year... ;-)
Yes, keep using Google / Yahoo / Virtual Earth maps, rather than re-inventing the wheel.

The Google Street View van has been seen wandering my streets, and you're suggesting I recreate the maps for my city?

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Well osm-gps-map is capable of showing google maps, virtual earth, yahoo and osm... It just needs a features for placing POI's, buttons and other data on top of the map image. So it's a widget for various map sources, not just osm