Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
After testing a modification of Canola's feedhandler on Fremantle and having qgil report that it works, I plan to create a more useful, self-contained "feedhandler" package that all RSS-related apps can depend on and automatically get their apps to appear in a menu when clicking on the RSS button in the browser.

The current test app looks roughly like this:

(Clicking on the RSS icon in the web browser brings up this window which will allow the user to choose which feed reader to pass the feed to. The UI needs some more work, and the entries are currently static.)

A quick research (related threads: here and here) revealed the following existing apps:

Do you know of any other feed readers that you use and are not listed here? I'd like to get some input on how to interface with other apps. Ideally, it would be good if every feed reader could provide a command-line "subscribe" tool that gets one parameter (the URL) and launches the feed reader (if it's not running already) and passes the URL to it and presents the user with a "subscribe" dialog.

Then, every feed reader could depend on this "feedhandler" package and install a description file in some agreed-upon location that will contain the name of the feed reader and the binary that's to be used to subscribe to URLs. The feedhandler can then load and parse all subscription files and display a menu like the one in the screenshot with all installed feed readers.

At least Nibbles describes how to do this manually on its home page, and obviously Canola has this in the canola-tuning package (sadly it does not allow other readers to integrate into the feed handler and it drags in lots of canola dependencies, that's why I decided to create a separate feed handler).

The resulting feedhandler package and integration works at least on Chinook, Diablo and Fremantle, maybe even on older versions.

Does this sound like a good idea? Is the way of interfacing with the RSS applications (agreed-upon location to install a description file + command-line "subscribe" utility) a good idea or are there better ideas? Is subscribing to feeds with web apps useful or unnecessary?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
It sounds like an excellent idea. I use feedcircuit at the moment for my RSS feeds (so I can it pull them so I can read entire articles offline) and whenever I find a new feed I have to manually enter the URL. Or import into the default RSS feed reader, and have feedcircuit import the default RSS feed reader's feeds.

Though I'm going try out Nibbles, seems like it does the same thing.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

In case you don't read Planet Maemo or land here through a search in the future: RSS Feed Handler 2.0 has been released and is now available in Extras-Devel. A new version with proper support for all RSS-based apps should be available shortly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 161 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
There's new RSS reader in Extras-devel: http://maemo.org/packages/view/feedingit/. It's very simple but much faster then native RSS reader on N900. Any chance to see support for it in Feedhandler?

The Following User Says Thank You to mivoligo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mivoligo View Post
There's new RSS reader in Extras-devel: http://maemo.org/packages/view/feedingit/. It's very simple but much faster then native RSS reader on N900. Any chance to see support for it in Feedhandler?
Sure! Please add it as a feature request to https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/?group_id=1057 and tell me the method for "giving" a feed URL to your application (e.g. command-line or even better: D-Bus with activation).

I wanted to have a "proper" way for registering applications with feedhandler through a .desktop file, but had not really had time to implement it in the UI (the backend code is there already - see the feedhandler source repository).

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 161 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
It's not my application, and I know nothing about coding unfortunately. Although I'll try to contact with the author and let him know about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to mivoligo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted by thp View Post
Sure! Please add it as a feature request to https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/?group_id=1057 and tell me the method for "giving" a feed URL to your application (e.g. command-line or even better: D-Bus with activation).
I'm the author of FeedingIt. There is no way currently to subscribe to a feed externally, but shouldn't be too hard to code a command line subscribe (I don't know much about d-bus, so that'd take longer to figure out). Once that's done, I'll add the bug report to feedhandler.

The Following User Says Thank You to Slocan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Bug report:
feedhandler has to be killed each time I use it with FeedingIt. It just freezes after selecting application.

Tags
browser, feed reader, feedhandler, integration, rss