Active Topics

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
More importantly the N810/N80 was too big for phone use - to hold by your ear side.
For you ... for me it s the perfect size !

The Following User Says Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by sirhunter2010 View Post
I just saw the pricing on the 900 ... Ouch! 550 euros! I live in Canada and it converts to $853 cdn. That is not on! They are going to have definitely rethink that pricing. BTW.. I'm drafting this response on my Archos 5 IMT.
Cell phone radio will do that--also, cell phone lock-in. I can't wait for this thing to finally get released.. mostly because I want to see whether or what kind of bull____ we're going to see getting pulled this time with yet another hot smartphone.

Originally Posted by dansus View Post
Why is 550e an unreasonable price?
Probably because it's a WHOLE lot more expensive than its previous bretheren Maemo devices that weren't cell phones. Hell--it's more expensive than any of the similar current generations of competing products despite these whiz-bang (and screeching crash) new features that can be added easily to most other devices with an accessory (i.e. modular, plugin-in devices).

Originally Posted by jandmdickerson View Post
So are you saying every euro price Nokia can be calculated this way? I think most international products are priced regionally....hence, there is no straight "google" conversion method to use. But thanks anyway I just thought that since official pics were out then perhaps a price may be out also.
Maybe--but it certainly gives you a very good idea of the general vicinity of the pricing.

I cant stop staring at it, looks so sweet.
IT'S A TRAP!

Originally Posted by Peet View Post
A lot of people here at the "Maemo Talk" (only recently renamed from Internet Tablet Talk) are not quite convinced yet that they need a 3G radio (which adds to cost and generally requires a separate data plan each) in every portable device. At least not in most markets today.

Most people even considering the Nooklet are likely to have a data-ready mobile in their pocket already. How many different 3G radios along with their restrictive pricing plans are people willing to carry?

The popular use of Nokia's Internet Tablets has been - besides WIFI of course - as a companion device to a mobile phone via tethering.

The N900 bundles the two in one package - at the expense of tablet experience but hopefully providing a better mobile phone experience. Yet possibly at the price of the two...
I couldn't have said it better--but I'm sure I've said it more often.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Good article.

"The Finnish group has dabbled with Linux since 2005, using it in "Internet tablets" -- sleek phone-like devices used to access the Web that have failed to gain mass-market appeal in part due to their lack of a cellular radio."

Good thing the same mistake is not to be repeated
Yeah.. God forbid they should make a new class of device that they could have pioneered and been recognized for with the right advertising and support instead of yet another smart phone. Whew. Dodged that bullet.

Originally Posted by Espoo888 View Post
The N900 browser screenshots that Eldar posted don't match the Fennec Beta or does that just mean that Nokia are using the Fennec browser with their own custom skin?
I thought gecko was the engine and Fennec was the interface? How can you still call it Fennec if you're using a different interface?

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Actually, it was renamed to "maemo.org Talk" or just "Talk" if you want to be accurate.
Internet Tablets are soooooo 2006.

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
The n900 is definitely the best phone in the market...
Soooo.. you admit it's not a new tablet, it's a cell phone. I accept your apology.

Wow sachin, you sound very objective today Exactly someone I'd like to get sound product analysis from..

If you want to call other rabid fans... make REALLY sure you're not a rabid fanboi yourself please
Yeah.. why aren't I being asked my objective opinions?

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
I paid $299 canadian for the Archos 5 IMT 120, $30 for the mini dock and $40 for the codecs I wanted (totally pissed that Archos charges for mpg2\vob and h.264 codecs) but damn does this thing work well. So well infact that my HP 2140 is sitting idle since I bought my Archos 5 in late July. My biggest gripe about the Archos 5 is the closed nature of the Linux variant that Archos has deployed for its IMT product line.

The Following User Says Thank You to sirhunter2010 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
From twitter.com/lvargasl

"Tomorrow the official announcement for the new Maemo device from Nokia!!"

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
From twitter.com/lvargasl

"Tomorrow the official announcement for the new Maemo device from Nokia!!"
Yes, I wouldn't put any validity into the statement. I think it's someone that was confused over when Nokia World was.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
"Internet tablets" -- sleek phone-like devices used to access the Web that have failed to gain mass-market appeal in part due to their lack of a cellular radio."
Ooo... don't get me started!

Lack of a cell radio at best was a tiny part of the failure. I think we can safely say that (1) poor marketing and (2) frustrating out-of-the-box experience were the biggies.

A cellular radio should not be a diehard requirement for a handheld computer.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Lack of a cell radio at best was a tiny part of the failure. I think we can safely say that (1) poor marketing and (2) frustrating out-of-the-box experience were the biggies.
I think the real key, though, is that Nokia didn't particularly want mass market success with the models released so far. It was an R&D platform that was mostly used to help development and generate a community (which it'd be really sad to see them toss away with with the Maemo 5), and it's only now starting to move into the big leagues.

Now, whether that was a wise decision is certainly up for debate, but it seems like Nokia's market position so far has been exactly where they wanted it to be.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I think the real key, though, is that Nokia didn't particularly want mass market success with the models released so far. It was an R&D platform that was mostly used to help development and generate a community (which it'd be really sad to see them toss away with with the Maemo 5), and it's only now starting to move into the big leagues.

Now, whether that was a wise decision is certainly up for debate, but it seems like Nokia's market position so far has been exactly where they wanted it to be.
I agree of course, since I've said the same myself, but that's motive and I was focusing on means.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Will the N900 be able to play DivX and Xvid videos such as one might download - e.g. c.350MB TV shows - without any transcoding?

With all that storage (64GB) that would be quite handy - I am not aware of any other smartphone that can nope with these videos without transcoding or downloading special .mp4 versions.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post

Originally Posted by sirhunter2010
I just saw the pricing on the 900 ... Ouch! 550 euros!
Cell phone radio will do that--also, cell phone lock-in.
It is €550 or phone lock-in. You only accept phone lock-in because you get a significantly better initial price. If you, like me, care about the lifetime cost, you pay full price for a unlocked device and pick a cheaper subscription elsewhere.

Nokia isn't like Apple, you can always buy their phones without going through a carrier.