Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Why is crap, why is nice? I find the integrated good, but the addon was buggy. And I don't like.
The integrated app crap:

txt only display is poor, not much graphic delineation in message list view or message view

deleting message, you must wait for it to delete on server before doing anything else with an un-dismissable dialog and when deleting a message over edge it can take a while

the retrieval and auto retrieval settings don't really work and get 'lost'

Your email gets intermingled with your sms and not in a good kind of contact centric way like some clients do now

I am sure there are some other things that led me to think it is crap, but I have not used it in quite a while

I have a gripe and I wonder if anyone else noticed this.. In one of the marketing video's the user had Google Talk open and to call the person they had to get out of google talk and go to the desktop and clicked a contact widget. I think you should be able to just click on the person's picture in Google Talk and it should bring up there contact info. Wouldn't that make more sense?

Originally Posted by Matan View Post

Is the processor really guaranteed to work at more thatn 600MHz? It can certainly not come close to double that. Reports I read from Pandora developers are that not all chips are even stable at 900MHz.
I have a vague memory of reading a TI spec on the omap3 chip used in BeagleBoard, iirc the CPU expected lifetime is significantly reduced already at 600MHz compared to 500MHz. I dont remember exactly, but it could've been factor of 10 difference... Still long enough to last us until the next generation of devices, though

Speculating, At 800-900 I imagine the expected lifetime could be too short for nokia to be comfortable a significant amount wouldn't fail within the standard 2 year warranty.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
txt only display is poor, not much graphic delineation in message list view or message view
True, but you see more messages in list. That is a sacrifice to be made. The font used is hegemonic with the rest of the device; in contrast to Nokia Messaging. Nokia Messaging, like Modest, shows more details of the messages at the expense of number of messages shown.

Your email gets intermingled with your sms and not in a good kind of contact centric way like some clients do now
Actually I love how its easy to browse through e-mail and SMS and such on E71, and integrate both in your contacts, giving you choice. Entirely different interfaces for applications on same device which do roughly the same is not a good thing.

In contrast, Nokia Messaging would never retrieve new e-mail. First it gotten my last 9 e-mail. But after that it went poof. I could press Sync a thousand times. Nothing happened. While I had new e-mail all the time. But its OK, I didn't like the interface too much, because it was not fast enough to use like previous default SMS/e-mail interface. (EPOC I think it called.)

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
My gripe, looking at the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP5R-5NX1BE&NR=1 , since the screen is resistive, I'll have to be browsing with my finger nail rather than my finger tip.

Originally Posted by phi View Post
My gripe, looking at the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP5R-5NX1BE&NR=1 , since the screen is resistive, I'll have to be browsing with my finger nail rather than my finger tip.

Why?? The N810 is resistive and I have very short nails and it works fine.... Just use your finger tips

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by sevla View Post
I have a gripe and I wonder if anyone else noticed this.. In one of the marketing video's the user had Google Talk open and to call the person they had to get out of google talk and go to the desktop and clicked a contact widget. I think you should be able to just click on the person's picture in Google Talk and it should bring up there contact info. Wouldn't that make more sense?
Yes I noticed that and thought that strange. It would be even worse if the contact wasn't directly on your desktop and you had to search for them through the contacts list. Hopefully there will be a shortcut in the Conversations app to link directly to the contact.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
The second mode allows for cursor positioning without passing a "click" through to the web page. The simplest use for this would be to activate mouse-over controls, but it's for all web applications that expect a user to be able to move the cursor without a button-down, button-up. At their Maemo Summit 2008 session, Andrey Petrov and timeless announced the Fremantle the browser would support switching between two user-interaction states like this. At the time, they didn't yet know if the switch would be accomplished via a hardware button or on-screen control though.
Also, for text selection. Less error-prone than the double-tap-to-select feature.

Edit: Actually I read that wrong. This is not quite correct, the cursor mode is simply for interacting with a website (instead of panning).

Last edited by kanishou; 2009-08-31 at 15:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
You know what really grinds my gears???

NO D-PAD!!!!!!!!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
The arrow buttons are certainly an improvement over the crap they put on the N810. It still makes me sad when I look at the D-Pad on my N800, and then look at the one on my N810.