There is no E-Series with touch (using Symbian s60v5).

Also Maemo is for business and uper-class smartphones.

I am assuming next E-Series will be Maemo based.

Again, maybe the name of the series should change and converge because the noname yet "Maemo-series" actually makes sense to unify.

Nokia makes things harder with these series and names - numbers, because an undecided new customer will say - I'll just go and have an iPhone, because on iPhone I have ALL the applications, ALL the firmware upodates. On E-Series the customer cannot get N-Gage or a good camera or movie editor or picture editor, where on N-Series the customer will not get mail with Exchange, a better Calendar, etc, etc.

Nokia, your business model having different series and many numbered phones was good in the early days when a phone was a phone plus something extra, when a phone was cheap, when some people were changing phones like socks , but with a smartphone business or series you need UNITY. Nobody will pay $ 700 every year for a new model.

Nokia needs UNITY - one series of devices that has ALL the best applications pre-installed, ONE store and easy to install software, automatic and easy firmware upgrade, free OS upgrade, backward compatibility.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=422

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
There is no E-Series with touch (using Symbian s60v5).

Also Maemo is for business and uper-class smartphones.

I am assuming next E-Series will be Maemo based.

Again, maybe the name of the series should change and converge because the noname yet "Maemo-series" actually makes sense to unify.

Nokia makes things harder with these series and names - numbers, because an undecided new customer will say - I'll just go and have an iPhone, because on iPhone I have ALL the applications, ALL the firmware upodates. On E-Series the customer cannot get N-Gage or a good camera or movie editor or picture editor, where on N-Series the customer will not get mail with Exchange, a better Calendar, etc, etc.

Nokia, your business model having different series and many numbered phones was good in the early days when a phone was a phone plus something extra, when a phone was cheap, when some people were changing phones like socks , but with a smartphone business or series you need UNITY. Nobody will pay $ 700 every year for a new model.

Nokia needs UNITY - one series of devices that has ALL the best applications pre-installed, ONE store and easy to install software, automatic and easy firmware upgrade, free OS upgrade, backward compatibility.
I'm not so sure E-Series should be aimed at touchscreen. What are the advantages? The use cases are rather well defined and not multimedia related unlike N-Series.

While the number of models may be too high Nokia knows from years long experience it is not possible to have one mobile hardware device which satisfies the need for trillions of users. iPhone is the other extreme, and there is simply no choice to pick a different carrier or different camera or different touchscreen if you want an iPhone. In fact you'll see Apple bringing out more mobile devices just like they released more iPods for specific use cases.

Typically, people buy a new phone every 2 years.

Software-wise Nokia could have done a lot better, but Symbian OS going open source, open standards used, Maemo, Qt, and LGPLing are all pointing towards a good base for unification. Its a process.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Yup, I would have replied with that if you hadn't... and that brings me to why I'm even in this thread to begin with.

Architengi, could you at least put a question mark at the end of your thread title?

People are coming to this forum for up to date information on all things Maemo. This thread title reads like a declaration, not speculation... big difference.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Yup, I would have replied with that if you hadn't... and that brings me to why I'm even in this thread to begin with.

Architengi, could you at least put a question mark at the end of your thread title?

People are coming to this forum for up to date information on all things Maemo. This thread title reads like a declaration, not speculation... big difference.
That post by Peter@marketing for someone waiting for a E900: "Good luck waiting for that one! ;-) I wouldn't, if I were you. " does not give any clue - is the wait long, or simply there is no plan for E-Series anymore?

Because there are E-Series with 800x480 screen resolution (E-90) so the next thing to do for an upgrade on this one is to use Maemo, because Symbian does not support 800 but only 640 resolution...

I am still convinced E-Series will have Maemo devices, but maybe under another series name? Because Symbian will be only for low and mid-tier devices.

FYI:
  • N-Series is compatible with Mail for Exchange. I have lost the count of how many N95's I have installed MfE on.
  • You can get N-Gage running on the E71, arguably the most popular E-series phone around. Which comes with a nice SIP VoIP client, VPN, QuickOffice, PDF reader, WLAN, 3G, MfE or Lotus Notes Traveller, among other things, and that is out of the box. Why someone would want N-Gage on an E-series phone is beyond me, though.
  • The whole Nokia business is centered around the idea that, regarding devices, one size do not fit all purposes. I know many people that won't buy a phone that doesn't have a physical keyboard, for example.

I don't know other users, but E-Series is fine already in Symbian. Maybe getting a E-Series phone with the form factor of the Palm Pre would be nice, but I assume that would imply S60v5. In any case, Nokia is aiming to unify, but through software, not hardware.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
That post by Peter@marketing for someone waiting for a E900: "Good luck waiting for that one! ;-) I wouldn't, if I were you. " does not give any clue - is the wait long, or simply there is no plan for E-Series anymore?
L O L

The "E900" pictured is a fake.

|||EDIT

see http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=318

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-09-01 at 01:05.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
L O L

The "E900" pictured is a fake.

|||EDIT

see http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=318
Of course it is... everyone knows the E900 will support at the least Flash 11

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Of course it is... everyone knows the E900 will support at the least Flash 11
I'm waiting for the E910... it will have a d-pad and holographic support.