Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
When I say "you people", it's you Linux loving people that only see one option. I support for the US Gov't among other contracts some 7 OS's... I was part of the group that pushed for FOSS in the US Gov't back in 2000/2001.
Well Gerbick, I'm a newbie to Linux, and all I know comes from reading this forum's old posts for a week straight, 8 hours a day, for research, so I hope I can learn something about Linux from you.

All I've done so far was answer those questions where I saw some wrongs. I do feel attacked because of one simple thing - quote everything I say. If you're a debater, then you'd take the time to know my stance. You're guessing and assuming wrongly. I don't particularly like anybody to place words in my mouth and labels upon me. Apologist, Apple fanboy... yeah right. You might as keep guessing because you're wrong and that brings a very personal slant to your verbiage. Can't be objective, don't address me.
Well I'll admit I'm very competitive and persuasive, and love to debate, so forgive me if I came off offensively. But I feel you did the same thing by rebutting everything others said about the situation, and you made some weak points, and I naturally poke holes in weak points, not to ridicule you, just to drive my point home, that's all. I have to remember everyone doesn't enjoy debate as much as me. (One of my favorite movies is "The Great Debaters", and my favorite line is "I have the right to defend myself with violence or civil disobedience. You should hope I choose the latter.") And debaters don't wait to know your stance, we constantly watch your feet and aim at the toes to ensure you can have no leg to stand on. Its sick hearing me say that, but the best speakers, lobbyists, and lawyers come from this sort of training. I have to subdue it from time to time.

Now, with that said... Ovi maps isn't all that. I've used the N97. I'm not impressed at all. Nor am I impressed with the Apple maps either. And I'm definitely not impressed with the N810 maps either which have not been updated since 1Q 2008.
Does any mobile navi app impress you? Honestly?

And for you people that think that I'm all for Apple... search it. I've stated that the 3GS was a money grab. The 3G wasn't that good of a phone. The Apple phones did do something that all of this jaw jacking hasn't done yet... brought competition. And instead of this silly "open source - you wouldn't get it because you're American" blah blah personal stuff, leave that ignorance behind and show me the proof that it is better.
By your rebuttals, it seemed you were justifying the lack of features. I don't need a touchscreen, but for the N97 to lack one would be a mistake for adoption's sake, as is OBEX for many. This is fact from a study on iPhone selling points and those that chose other models. It's probably the third largest thing after multitasking and dedicated keys.

So far, all you have to show me... well, the N810/N800. They both haven't had commercial updates on any of their programs for over an year. Skype, 2007. Gizmo, February 2008. Rhapsody... ok, who knows because I wouldn't use it. Maps... February or so of 2008.
I think you should know I'm not a Maemo user, but a Symbian user. I have used Symbian as my primary computing platform for 3 years straight now, and only use Windows in the studio when recording or backup my mobiles. But software not updated isn't bad if it works. Does it? And keep in mind, the NITs weren't mass market devices like the N900 is intended to be. Maemo 5 has mounds more momentum and support from Nokia this go around, and the phone capabilities puts it in the easy to sell category. Phones>tablets

Now, what kills me... this whole positioning of what the N900 will do. It's not out yet. I've also stated that I want Nokia to do well. I don't have the same level of faith as you lot. So want to paint me as some leper, so be it. But to sit back and say "don't take it personal", look at your own verbiage first.
I base it on what little I do know of Linux, the lot I know of Nokia, and Nokia's desire to make noise in the US this next 4 quarters. I've seen enough video to know I'd be satisfied enough to want it for the browser alone. Don't be a defeatist. I only responded to your "Pre doesn't have OBEX" and "Who needs Bt with wifi?" comments so viciously because in the global view, most people do, especially in India and China, bigger markets than the US with different needs and infrastructure. What Nokia does is make compromises to fit most markets. The iPhone is a niche device, and not even a large part of the market, just the mindshare. To put our personal views as the bell cowl for whether a device is worthy of the global market is not wise.

When it comes out, let's see if the concerns of apps, updates, and mainstream appeal will happen. So far, I'm not seeing it happen. And to truly sit here and say that something - yes, it's minor to me because I don't swap small files around, I actually use my phone for larger files, some 2+gb databases sometimes because I can do it - that's something I won't do or transfer via Bluetooth at all.
Well I don't expect the N900 to be the next N95, but if it sells as well as the E71 or N97, it will be the biggest selling mobile Linux variant ever, and give Nokia plenty to build upon. Just because I want it doesn't make me a broken record. You don't need a camera on your phone or fancy wheels on your car, but that doesn't make them "little" or useless for others. Just like the FM radio, which many of us don't need, is necessary to sell devices in Africa, where most people in developing Africa don't have any other access to radio broadcasts outside their Nokia phones. You have to know the global market, not just yours.

Time for a new way to transfer bigger files. I won't even transfer a 247mb PDF that I have on my iPhone right now via bluetooth either. But I did it via wifi on my iPhone just a minute ago.
I'm curious, what did you transfer the file to, a PC? They're pretty rare in 3rd world countries. Most people consider their smartphone thier PC. And I'd like to see you send a file from your iPhone to a Razr or even an N95 via Wifi. I can send it from my N95 via SymSMB to any wireless network, but not natively.

This phone, I hope it does well. This group of people, I hope some of you stop being so close minded at times - quite the welcoming feeling that'll be needed when the neophytes actually come in bigger numbers. I can't wait to see how that goes down.
There's a reason most people choose Maemo, Symbian, and Nokia over an iphone. Why don't you stop trying to convince those people they should? Every forum I go to I hear some idiot trying to tell me about the iPhone when I know what it isn't already. I'm more pleased with allowing homebrewed apps and multiple programming toolkit support. I'm allowed to be as close minded as I want because I've already reviewed the iPhones and know their limitations severely limit my daily workflow, and underserve the emerging markets with lack of necessary features. I bet plenty iPhans switch to the N900.

This childishness, I'll never speak on it again. I have no time to waste on simple minded people with a chip on their shoulder.
now childishness?? Wasn't it you cursing like a third grade idiot? you were the simple minded one, gerbick, but its ok. We all get irritated. Just notice the rafter in your own eye before you pick straw from mine. I have no chip on my shoulder. I'm just setting the record straight. I'd love to get you and other iphone lovers to the MobileActive symposium to see how the iphone is seen there. Its not just me saying it, but the most sophisticated mobilist out there.

And don't act like I'm just posting for fun. I posted in response to your rebuttals and finally your little tantrum. Racking up posts is far from my goal. I have my own web forums for that, amigo. Don't be such a jerk...

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
So what about calming down and having a beer? Thanks. ;-)
I always have GNOME's Code of Conduct in mind, saying
"Assume people mean well: If something seems outrageous, check that you did not misinterpret it. Do not assume the worst."...

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Haiku expression
Chit-chat war
Loving for dummies

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Good advice, klapper

I don't think that anybody here will disagree on one thing... this group here at this site is very wrong in a lot of things outside of their choice(s) which did not include the iPhone.
Ok, I disagree on this

When N900 comes out, let's see if the concerns of apps, updates, and mainstream appeal will happen. So far, I'm not seeing it happen.
I agree with you here. I don't see Nokia will have top of the line updates, OS updates and also backward compatibility with N900. And with Maemo 6 they want to have another step in loosing backward compatibility renouncing on GTK+ in favor of QT.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
If it's all about file transfer, what does the iphones do in that area that the N900 or other NITs does not? They do wifi, bluetooth, USB and you can also use a removable card, probably the fastest method. How does the iphone restricting the way usb and bluetooth work make it better for file transferring via wifi? It's just one option less. Unless it has something to do with using some exclusive and very good proprietary software to manage your files...

The Following User Says Thank You to nwerneck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
IMHO there's no point in having debates to put down 'the other camp' for your personal\divine device's superiority. This mentality is just a form of ego boosting, which a shrink would probably have much more to say about

These sort of opportunities (device\technology comparisons) should be used to learn about what works and what doesn't from another camp's experience, and to dissect it from multiple angles (technical, usability, cultural, financial, etc) for your own camp's benefit. That, imho, is productive.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
OK, christexaport and gerbick, it's time to take it outside.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
And offline maps, pre-cached, are very useful when you're trying to save battery. For instance, when running the GPS to keep you on the bikepaths that you downloaded from http://www.opencyclemap.org into Maemo Mapper...

The Following User Says Thank You to Alan_Peery For This Useful Post:
Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Best thing to do in technology world is to discuss the N900 strictly on its own terms - not on the iPhone terms or any other device's terms.
I found his comparison very useful as a starting point. Someone has to start the discussion and the first post gave a lot of content for us to chew over...

Tags
comparison, iphone, look! a, n00 idiot, n900, n900 v. iphone war