Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@archi: you have to understand more about their strategy and culture. it's not as simple as you've assumed.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
So many people that want a touch smartphone will go with that ONE device HAS-IT-ALL: iPhone. No doubts about that.
The magic of the iPhone is not that it is a HAS-IT-ALL, it's that it convinces you it's a HAS-IT-ALL even though it isn't.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@archi: you have to understand more about their strategy and culture. it's not as simple as you've assumed.

It is hard to move a big ship, and it was easy for Apple to start from ZERO, 0.

It is not simple... they need to make it simple. They can keep the 100 devices (they announced that support OVI store) but they need to focus and create THAT ONE device which is powerful, very easy and intuitive to use, in one word a device that is "popular" and easy to remember as name. And yes, I said that before.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ California
Thanks for the live reports mrojas.

The Following User Says Thank You to davadio For This Useful Post:
So many people that want a touch smartphone will go with that ONE device HAS-IT-ALL: iPhone. No doubts about that.
I really can't quite understand how you can say that. Specially in this forum, even more considering the N900 and similar devices. The iPhone doesn't have it all, by a large margin.

Edit: @davadio: My pleasure

Last edited by mrojas; 2009-09-03 at 08:55.

Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
I really can't quite understand how you can say that. Specially in this forum, even more considering the N900 and similar devices. The iPhone doesn't have it all, by a large margin.
Well I agree the iPhone does not have it all, but it is the brand. In USA it is the only smartphone sold by a large margin. And does not need to have it all, as long as it is easy to use and has camera, GPS, 3G and phone capabilities. For the masses (especially in USA) it is THE PHONE, not just a phone. That is what a brand does to people minds. Anyways, people want to imitate others and follow others, even if they don't admit it, it is in their program (DNA).
@MRojas: Thanks for the ideas, I agree.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Well I agree the iPhone does not have it all, but it is the brand. In USA it is the only smartphone sold by a large margin. And does not need to have it all, as long as it is easy to use and has camera, GPS, 3G and phone capabilities. For the masses (especially in USA) it is THE PHONE, not just a phone. That is what a brand does to people minds. Anyways, people want to imitate others and follow others, even if they don't admit it, it is in their program (DNA).
@MRojas: Thanks for the ideas, I agree.
USA is just one big developing country with gsm/3g.... in europe one could laugh at USA:s degree of development similar to the situation when $100k/y guy laughs at starving ethiopians...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@archi:
I have the iPhone 3GS and I love what I can do with it, and even so I never thought the iPhone 'has it all'.

At any rate, it may be best to start another thread about this rather than continue this OOT subject here. Just a note though, if you want to talk about iPhone's technical merits it'll be a very short thread . BUT, a more interesting and productive topic is to identify what Apple has done right to get where they are today with the iPhone.

Some time ago, in an entirely different context, a competitor referred to the leading company of the field as the Beatles. He said, you can't be the Beatles, because they already exist. And they didn't intend to be the Beatles, they wanted to be Led Zeppelin.

Nokia doesn't need or want to be Apple. They want to be Nokia. Take a read at this: http://www.nokia.com/careers/nokia-a...way-and-values

It is a completely different mindset than Apple.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
BUT, a more interesting and productive topic is to identify what Apple has done right to get where they are today with the iPhone.
In one word: marketing (and all that comes with it and what generates). Remember that perception and reality are two different things: what people perceives is what they think is real. The trick is being able to affect their perception enough, and to deliver on that.

But yeah, it is kinda OT.