Active Topics

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Honestly, I'd rather have a VAT over here than income tax.
We have both actually.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Usually 19% VAT and at least 2 years warranty as is mandatory by EU law.
But after 6 months you have to demonstrate (with a certified expert opinion that'll cost you a lot) that the fault was preset when the item was sold.
See here.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Income tax like IRS? We have VAT and income tax (in NL depending on income it is 33,5%, 42%, or 42% & 52%). Yes, we're screwed both ways.

Originally Posted by luca View Post
But after 6 months you have to demonstrate (with a certified expert opinion that'll cost you a lot) that the fault was preset when the item was sold.
See here.
Do you have references about this in practice with details about the cost of 'certified expert'? I don't.

In practice if a device simply fails to perform its duties even _after_ the warranty has expired you may be entitled to a replacement.

It also depends on the circumstances. For example, the case of exploding pineApples (smartbomb grenades) is still unfolding. Sometimes, it takes considerable time and effort to gain what you're entitled to.

Also remember you get warranty from the seller as well. Usually one year.

Originally Posted by luca View Post
We have both actually.
How so? Or are you thinking of sales tax + income tax?

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Costa Rica
Here in Costa Rica we have just one state owned monopolist cell phone provider (until now). This service provider is not allowed to make a profit. For that reason a regulation authority has to approve the tariff for any service, based on a cost calculation provided by the service provider.
Even though all the equipment for infrastructure has to be paid in Dollars here, we enjoy relatively low tariffs: less than six US-Cents for a minute of call nationwide, regardless if mobile-landline, mobile-mobile or landline-mobile. Only outgoing calls pay, of course, tariff at night and on weekends is even lower. An SMS cost less than a mind boggling third of a US-Cent (exact $0.0029). Internet over cell phone – only GPRS with EDGE – cost $6.75 a month flat, no limit. All prices at present exchange rate, VAT included.

This may illustrate how low cell phone tariffs can be when profit margins are cut out. The downside is, that the service is far from being competitive. It lasted much too long to install, some areas still lack coveridge, number of lines was very limited until recently, 3G is said to be under way, may be available by begin of next year, but I need to see it first to believe it.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
LoboGitano, interesting, but min and avg income is also vital in these compares.

http://www.billshrink.com/blog/mobil...costs-service/

The USA has literally the most expensive cellular plans in the entire world. I think it's time someone did something about that.
There is open source GSM, if anyone is interested.

http://laforge.gnumonks.org/weblog/2...09_gsm_network

Just need a transmitter and some duct tape.

And a Linux PC running Base Station Controller Software of course

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ioioio For This Useful Post:
ioioio, that's just too frigging cool. Oddly though, that whole open source GSM loosely follows a design by a friend of mine for wireless internet access points using a system called hyperband. Once there were enough transmitters in a given area, the amount of data being pushed over fixed land lines would drop to zero and everything would be bounced back and forth between all the towers in the area in a true internet web. You could even bounce radio, cellular, and digital tv over the antennas the way they were designed. It was really cool.

But leave it to the nasty monopolies to kill his idea dead in its tracks. He had the whole system up and running way back in the 80's and was pushing speeds we'd consider ridiculous even today. But the reason the monopolies killed it dead (well, they didn't actually "kill" it persay, but rather gave him some very "strongly" worded recommendations that he not release it, ever, priod. So he's sat on it since.) or at the very least, stopped it cold in its tracks, is because it could very quickly render all the major internet, telephone and media transmission companies (local cable companies, Dish, XM Radio, etc) obsolete. In fact, it would have buried a LOT of companies we require today to get our fill of goodies.

So given that simple fact, don't expect to see it here anytime soon. My friend has the money to fight the big boys, but until people are properly sick and tired of being ripped off, gouged and pushed around, he's not going to whip it out of the closet. He wants to wait until the public support will be there for him. Throwing money at a problem and winning is one thing. Doing it with the full support of the public is something entirely different. That's like evicting someone by burning down their house while they're still in it.

PS, if a Nokia rep is reading this, don't panic, you guys won't get obsolesced by the technology, as I know my friend will help you guys make the leap to the new tech. It's AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, UUnet, AOL, Comcast, Dish Network, and all those kinda guys who have something to sweat about.

Do you have references about this in practice with details about the cost of 'certified expert'? I don't.
Only in spanish

Also remember you get warranty from the seller as well. Usually one year.
According to the EU law you mention and I linked you only get warranty from the seller, not the manufacturer (in turn the seller has the right to complain to the manufacturer). In practice the manufacturer almost ever will assume it, but that is not mandated by the law.

How so? Or are you thinking of sales tax + income tax?
Yes, here in europe (or at least most of it) we pay income tax and have to pay VAT on everything we buy (goods or services).

Tags
lord raiden v.reality war