Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by bobby68 View Post
No, but there aint no signs in the N97 either, so that's not an indicator.

A small sign COULD be in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4msl4...layer_embedded

When he is showing the map, there IS a compass, down to the left. It's pointing north, just as the N97, when it's not calibrated...

So...?
mmmhh... nice find, but i think, that compass only shows, that the maps is orientated to the north, and not to the driving direction.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
some one will need to create a compass app so we can use compass by itself.
n97 never had a dedicated stand alone app either it was only accesable via nokia maps then some one made the app

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
mmmhh... nice find, but i think, that compass only shows, that the maps is orientated to the north, and not to the driving direction.
But why? Off course north is up, when not navigating.
Only if the map can rotate, again when not navigating, it's necessary to show the direction to north. Can it rotate...?

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
n97 never had a dedicated stand alone app either it was only accesable via nokia maps then some one made the app
That's not true, there are infact atleast two dedicated 3rd party stand alone apps that shows the direction from the compass - "N97 Compass" and "Compass".

Edit: Yeah okay - "Then someone made the app..."
And I'm pretty shure that someone will do the same for N900, if it have that digital compass.

Last edited by bobby68; 2009-09-05 at 08:09.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
the job of a compass is always to point true north not to point the direction your driving, the compass will always keep your maps pointing correct way they will rotate round as you move so north on map will be true north. heres video to give you idea how maps self correct to north using compass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR_lDvV2ks4
remember map view is different for navigation so you always be rotated to way your driving

Last edited by NvyUs; 2009-09-05 at 07:59.

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
the job of a compass is always to point true north not to point the direction your driving, the compass will always keep your maps pointing correct way they will rotate round as you move so north on map will be true north. heres video to give you idea how maps self correct to north using compass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR_lDvV2ks4
btw theres another arrow to show dirction your driving on your route
I know that, but when you are navigating (driving) there's no need for a compass, because gps signal knows where north is, and the map's up (usualy) points in the driving direction. Therefor and indicator pointing "north" is nice to have. And can be done very well without a digital compass, just by using the gps signal, when driving over a certain speed.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
But why? Off course north is up, when not navigating.
Only if the map can rotate, again when not navigating, it's necessary to show the direction to north. Can it rotate...?
i don't know. i had a program (i think it was wayfinder) that hat the option to select if the map will be always orientated to the north (north up) or in driving direction (what's in front of the car up).
it could be also an indication of a compass (i would love if it's so) and i don't know how it is solved in the n97.
i just wanted to say, that this compass-picture NOT NECESSARILY means, that the n900 does have a compass.
but i think, that it does have a compass. some hardware is similar to the n97. why not the compass, too?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Gps can tell of your direction when moving. It doesn't need a separate sensor, so it shouldn't be taken as conclusve evidence of the existance of one.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
i just wanted to say, that this compass-picture NOT NECESSARILY means, that the n900 does have a compass.
No that's true.
But this, AND the Nordic Product Manager, Linus Brohult saying that N900 has a digital compass...?

But no need to stress about it, we will know when it becomes october...

Nah, probably well before that!

Last edited by bobby68; 2009-09-05 at 08:31.

No that's true.
But this, AND the Nordic Product Manager, Linus Brohult saying that N900 has a digital compass...?

But no need to stress about it, we will know when it's become october...

Nah, probably well before that!
but i think, that it does have a compass. some hardware is similar to the n97. why not the compass, too?

(post too short... just typing nonsense)