Notices

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Jaffa and I were discussing the possibility for all of the text on a new note to be selected by default so that a user could just hit delete and start typing. I like the idea, but does it sound like it breaks usability in any way? (I don't think so, but other opinions are definitely welcome).
Well, at the moment only the "Describe your new note here" part is selected. The idea is that sometimes (maybe often) you don't want to think about the title of a note. You just want to write something down. If that's the case a title with something like "New note 87" is just fine.

Other opinions of course also welcome

The way it works in the browser is that you swipe the lower-left of the browser window and a pointer cursor appears. The user can then take this cursor and select text, etc. Watch this video, around 1:40.
Thanks Tim. I've seen that too. But honestly I have no idea how to implement it. Well, ok, I have an idea, but it would lead to a lot of work and experimentation. I might add it one day, but I guess I'll go with the button-solution first

The Following User Says Thank You to conny For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
What kind of button would you like? Something like the arrow icon in the video, or something else?

Let me know and I'll make one.

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marnanel View Post
Conboy is perhaps the most useful app I've yet run on fremantle, and that's saying quite a lot. Thank you.
Originally Posted by konttori View Post
Thanks for Comboy! I just wanted to say that it's helping me organize the last miles of Fremantle. With comboy the quality of the devices will perhaps be just a tiny little better than if I had just used one huge notepad file (I don't believe in files that much).
Thanks a lot guys - It's really great to get feedback like that! Almost too much for one day

Originally Posted by konttori View Post
The most important note that I'm keeping there now is the planned features to come to the first update release. Without conboy, I would forget all those nice ideas far too easily!
Wow, that's really great!!! Just please please don't forget that it's still beta. It could really eat all of those nice ideas and I guess that would make many people around here very sad. So don't forget to take backups of your .conboy directory, otherwise people will blame me if there will be no Fremantle updates

WoW just started using conboy.... Thanks for all of the work its gonna get a lot of use on my n800 and soon the n900

Epi

The Following User Says Thank You to epilido For This Useful Post:
What kind of button would you like? Something like the arrow icon in the video, or something else?
I'm not sure an arrow would be best in this case. In the browser app it brings up an actual mouse pointer, which is something we won't get. Basically the button would turn on/off the kinetic scrolling so that the click and drag action would not scroll, but instead select text.

So I could imaging an icon that stands for: "Turning scrolling on/off" or "Turning selection on/off". But I'm really not sure how it should look like. A pointer? A finger? An "arrow cross"? Or maybe like this selection icon in acrobat reader?

What do you think?

I like the selection icon (cursor). I'll work something up.

Are you planning on just adding it to the bottom tool bar? (I.e., should it be 48x48?)

Tim

Yes, for now I think it should go into the bottom tool bar.

Try this out and let me know what you think:

http://samoff.com/random/conboy-select_text.png

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by conny View Post
Well, at the moment only the "Describe your new note here" part is selected. The idea is that sometimes (maybe often) you don't want to think about the title of a note. You just want to write something down. If that's the case a title with something like "New note 87" is just fine.
If that's an intended use case, make it so that (perhaps optionally) the title isn't "New Note", but is "2009-09-09 21:57" or something.

Or, just make it so the whole thing is blank and/or selected (this'd get it closer to being my perfect note-taking software: EPOC R5's Jotter :-))

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:

Tags
application, conboy, fremantle, fremantle star, maemo 5, note, text, tomboy