Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I've said this numerous times so please forgive the repeat:

Nokia TRIED to change the US model. Competitors saw an opportunity to grab market share as Nokia worked toward a more open, retail-based service. The effort worked against Nokia and in favor of LG, Samsung, Moto, et al.

Cracking the crazy US market would take more than Nokia-- it would take the combined effort of every single manufacturer getting on the same page and standing tough (or the FCC and FTC doing their jobs). I don't see that happening.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Oh, and I'm starting to think Nokia should have spun off a separate but wholly-owned subsidiary for Maemo devices...

Hmmmm... Nokia reversed themselves?

It seems the reports that "erroneously suggested that Nokia will not support operator customizations for Maemo devices are simply incorrect.”

http://www.slashgear.com/nokia-maemo...tions-1156200/

Sorry: Repeat of what Reggie said....

Last edited by jandmdickerson; 2009-09-11 at 22:20.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
The only thing wrong with that quote is that you took it out of context. Here's the full paragraph:

"The N900 looks promising; unfortunately, Nokia is selling it at a fatal price of $649. That's the price of three iPhone 3GSes, plus tax. If T-Mobile picks it up, they might subsidize it, but even a $250 subsidy brings it down to $400 - more in netbook range than in smartphone range."

Which is accurate AFAIK.
Expansys an unlocked iphone is £1000 almost thats TWICE the £500 for N900 also unlocked... iphone is crippled, N900 is open

And my T mobile G1 contract is up for renew in the New Year, I pre ordered my N900. When T mobile call I take the discount and not upgrade my phone...

/end

Last edited by mullerrad; 2009-09-11 at 22:27.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Here's a post at Nokia Conversations that clears things up:
http://conversations.nokia.com/2009/...for-operators/
Ok, what?

Last month, Nokia unveiled the Nokia N900, based on the 4th generation of Maemo software.
Maemo 5 is the 4th generation of Maemo software?

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Ok, what?

Maemo 5 is the 4th generation of Maemo software?
Yup. Elephanta was scrapped.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Yup. Elephanta was scrapped.
That doesn't make it make any more sense. 4 != 5. I'm assuming they're not counting Maemo 1/2 separately.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
But as long as we keep doing that, the ISP's will keep screwing us over.

And from Nokia's point of view - as long as they go the subsidized route, they will alse be screwer over and dictated to by the ISP's.

So the only way to stop this NONSENSE is to stop with the subsidized crap altogether.

That way the ISP's lose all leverage over anyone - the customer as well as the manufacturer.
Theres nowt wrong with subsidised phones, it allows access to low income consumers. If they offer a phone for a range of upfront prices and charge a fair monthly amount, to make a fair profit, then its fine.

The problems start when carriers try to lock you down for multi year contracts, remove and block features, charge over inflated prices and offer little in return.

Carriers know change is coming, so they are screw*ng you for every penny while the goings good.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Originally Posted by dansus View Post
Theres nowt wrong with subsidised phones, it allows access to low income consumers. If they offer a phone for a range of upfront prices and charge a fair monthly amount, to make a fair profit, then its fine.

The problems start when carriers try to lock you down for multi year contracts, remove and block features, charge over inflated prices and offer little in return.

Carriers know change is coming, so they are screw*ng you for every penny while the goings good.
Carriers don't really subsidize phones for low income persons... they do it because it is a guarantee on profit on a rate plan (with a built in profit) which justifies the discount. Though in the US since you get no discount for not having a subsidy.... maybe it is for the poor. Lol

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
That doesn't make it make any more sense. 4 != 5. I'm assuming they're not counting Maemo 1/2 separately.
I understand that 4 != 5. But it's also my understanding that scrapping Elephanta is what led to the numbering disconnect. I forget the details. But I could be incorrect; sorry if so.

Tags
carrier, n900, networks, nokia v. cell carrier war, operator, telco