Notices

Police, fire, etc (those that still use analog technology anyway) use what's called narrow band FM. FM radio uses wide band FM. Also, most of these service are frequency band well above the FM radio band.

In short, your chances of getting a usable signal are next to nil.

Just go here there is 1000's of live police scanner feeds and thay all working the NXXX .. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/ I host 2 scanner feeds on there in NH and CT my page is http://www.nhscan.com on radioreference.com there is feeds in almost every state and county now .. Check it out ...

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Aspen Colorado
So does anyone know the tuning range of the FM radio circuit? The Japan adaptation isn't all that useful in the US anymore, but prior to the digital transition it would have made it possible to listen to TV channels 5 and 6 audio.

Even if it wasn't optimal, it may be handy to have say, the US weather radio band at 162.5MHz, or 2 Meter ham band... Heck looking at the US frequency chart, why not a drift scan radio telescope from 73MHz to 74.6MHz? (although that would likely require an AM or SSB reciever and a much quieter front end)

Most police systems are slowly going digital. There's still plenty of analog voice out here in the sticks, but eventually police departments will be required to switch to a narrower signal (less bandwidth used) and it will likely be P25 or some other digital system.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
In NL they've switched to a digital system called C2000. It uses cryptography. Not that the system always works well for them.

There used to be also many radio streams where police scanner were broadcasted on Internet.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey computerfreak!

The live audio on your webpage that you host is extremely fantastic!

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find an audio feed for Ingham county in Michigan.

On the site you referred to it's stating:
All police and fire departments in Ingham County, are now fully operational on the Ingham County EDACS TRS.
Can you explain to me what this means?

Thanks!

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Well, is there any way to allow the FM tuner radio, for the N800, to pick up FM channels in the 463.00000 frequency range?

It would be really cool to have the Paramedic-to-Hospital Communications available for listening.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
No, there's no way to do so. The FM bands are hardwired into the tuner chip, and the switch between Japanese and EUR/US bands is made by toggling a single bit.

Cellphone manufacturers have to set this bit accordingly in their firmware depending on the region where they sell. Nokia hardcoded this bit to US/EUR for the N800, and I patched the kernel driver to provide a means for toggling it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post: