Notices

Do you think it could be possible to make the N900 report itself as an iPod to iTunes like Palm Pre is doing when connected via USB to enable syncing music and playlists?

I know this doesn't answer the question but why would anyone want to sync with itunes. iTunes was one of my major gripes with the iphone. As a media "organizer" it's not very good, at least imo.

The Following User Says Thank You to sevla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I heard that Apple stopped the loophole that Palm were using, so it no longer works for that device. I don't agree with Apple locking down iTunes like that, but I'm just saying that it probably won't work.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think there are 3rd party programs that take iPhone's playlists and syncs them (your choices) to a device that connects as a USB drive. That's how I plan to sync some medias to my N900 anyway when I get it.

Originally Posted by sevla View Post
I know this doesn't answer the question but why would anyone want to sync with itunes. iTunes was one of my major gripes with the iphone. As a media "organizer" it's not very good, at least imo.
I don't like iTunes either (in fact I abhor it and every time I have given it a shot in Windows it ends up uninstalled in 1-2 days), but it's what the common folk use. And if they purchase the n900 (unlikely due to its price) they're going wanna know why it doesn't work with iTunes and demand it does.

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I heard that Apple stopped the loophole that Palm were using, so it no longer works for that device. I don't agree with Apple locking down iTunes like that, but I'm just saying that it probably won't work.
Apple and Pre are having a back-and-forth cat and mouse game. Apple blocks Pre. Pre updates. Rinse and Repeat. It has to do more with the Pre identifying as an iPod. If Palm would develop their own app to work with iTunes like Blackberries do

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/service.../mediasync.jsp

Then Apple would be fine with it (though I'm on Palm's side). I think the problem about the Blackberry sync is you don't have full access to everything in iTunes (ratings, etc..?)

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I think there are 3rd party programs that take iPhone's playlists and syncs them (your choices) to a device that connects as a USB drive. That's how I plan to sync some medias to my N900 anyway when I get it.
Yes there are but I don't think of them sync perfectly (playlists yes, but not ratings and such).

You could try a round-about way of using Songbird (which can read and write to the iTunes library). But yeah there is no good solution..

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Ug, hate iTunes...

Just tag your collection properly and sideload it...

The Following User Says Thank You to NZtechfreak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post
Ug, hate iTunes...

Just tag your collection properly and sideload it...
Hate iTunes, it easier said than done.
I've come a loong way from my first iPods, but everytime I tried to replace iTunes with something else I sort of surrender and crawl back to iTunes.
knowing that most people here most likely are Pro-Nokia, but I would say that the media sync software I've seen from Nokia have been really bad compared to iTunes, please note I do not use the iTunes shop, just organize, play-back and sync my 20gb MP3 collection (11gb on N95).
I have bought a 3rd party Salling media sync,http://www.salling.com/ it worked fine at first but then it could not sync due to TOO big media file, I wrote support and asked WTF, the replied NOBODY can have that much MP3 to sync...I told them "wake up and smell the coffee"

anyway, if somebody have some other Media organizers that are as extensive and nice looking as iTunes tell me.
and I do think that Nokia should take some responibility and come up with a solution

Last edited by McChicken; 2009-09-18 at 08:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to McChicken For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i think what appeals about itunes is the "autorate" database...

from what i understand, it will do all kinds of "magical" monitoring of your actions, like skipping a song, look at time of day, type of music, time of year and whatsnot, and then re-sort the whole playlist based on that.

and the ipods and iphone share this database with itunes, so that the longer you use both, the more both will learn to "guess" your mood and preferences that day...

basically its the same as clippy, only without the attention grabbing avatar. Think of it more like the stereotypical efficient butler or secretary...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
iTunes shop is ok, they've done away with DRM nowadays.

I also wonder about people who (seemingly) b*tch about iTunes without giving detailed reasons. Sounds like they don't know how to properly use iTunes.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
i think what appeals about itunes is the "autorate" database...

from what i understand, it will do all kinds of "magical" monitoring of your actions, like skipping a song, look at time of day, type of music, time of year and whatsnot, and then re-sort the whole playlist based on that.

and the ipods and iphone share this database with itunes, so that the longer you use both, the more both will learn to "guess" your mood and preferences that day...

basically its the same as clippy, only without the attention grabbing avatar. Think of it more like the stereotypical efficient butler or secretary...
This is nice stuff... No wonder why people love Apple / iPhone apps / services. They are near perfection as features, yet simple and intuitive to use.