Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
Hi everyone, I'm having a problem with scrren rotation in diablo, I installed everything fine, but the font in the connection utility is too large.

Name:  screenshot00.jpg
Views: 2120
Size:  25.6 KB

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Germany
Just for the record: I came across this yesterday. For me a simple "killall osso-connectivity-ui-conndlgs" helped. Although not sure what causes this problem..

So where do I get the original kernel to reflash it back to normal?

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Wow! I've been "whining" about Maemo 5's lack of Automatic Screen Rotation, and many Maemoers act like its not necessary or useful, and yet I find someone already saw a need before and tried to implement it, but it doesn't work well?? Does this mean it probably won't be easy or work well with the N900 either? Or does the ASR work well for N8xx, and this is just an isolated issue? I'm a little worried we'll never have a portrait option for the UI, just certain apps. I really hope not. Maemo's got my hopes up. Will I have to wait for the next Symbian to come along?

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Maemo 4 screen rotation was a community effort (the one that actually works well was developed by rm_you, if I'm not mistaken), and not something officially supported by Nokia. There are several methods. Some work and some don't. On pre-Maemo 5 devices, screen rotation was triggered via hardware buttons on the device.

Maemo 5 "screen rotation" is accelerometer-based and it's a completely different technology. And, it's an officially supported UI feature.

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
So its just not pervasive throughout the UI for now. Is there a plan for Nokia to officially support it for the whole UI, or will the community be forced to do it again? I'm still not clear on what the intentions are for Maemo's future. No one has said it will or won't do ASR in the future.

I believe Nokia originally had no intention for supporting it throughout the entire UI but may be considering it now due to vocal debates on here. But as it is I believe that it'll be up to the community to do it now..

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Hope we're up to the task...

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I assume this will be "Fixed in Harmattan".
AFAIK apps can already make use of ASR on Fremantle. It's just the Nokia apps and the desktop that don't support ASR yet, except for the phone app.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by joshv06 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm having a problem with scrren rotation in diablo, I installed everything fine, but the font in the connection utility is too large.

Attachment 3785

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Back to the original question ....

I use screen rotation at least once a day on my n800 and then N810 and do not have that problem.

I did see it once though when I was first setting up the N810 and if memory serves it may be because I used the "slide rotate" version that I found in a thread here at first. In any event, I use now use the version found in the WiKi that does not support auto-rotate based on the keyboard and do not have these problems.

... and @ repoman

Always use the back up utility on the tablet before attempting anything that may modify the kernel, keep a copy of the Nokia Internet Tablet Software Update Wizard found >> HERE << on a nearby windows desktop, and use the appropriate USB data cable for your tablet to upgrade (re-flash) your device. During this process you will be asked if you wish to restore your previously backed-up data.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post: