Notices

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I also noticed there's a bunch of m3u's in the gpodder folder. They would be GREAT if only they were in reverse order (oldest first, newest last). The current order is useless since I'd end up listening to my podcasts in the reverse order.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ shanghai , China
I am wondering whether we can have an option of choosing which format for downloading youtube in new 2.0 version . The download speed from youtube is slow for me and I need small size download in 0.17 , which takes less time . Or can you share 0.17 version deb file with me ? Thanks !

The Following User Says Thank You to deter3 For This Useful Post:
Really nice app, too bad all the videocast I downloaded were too much for the N8x0 hardware
Please, remove the combo, put a button with a skull and a warning on it or whatever you think should be appropriate for a potentially dangerous advanced settings menu but please remove it... 4 times out of 5 it doesn't work due to my timing or bad memory

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustNick For This Useful Post:
Hi Thomas,

Firstly I want to say THANK YOU (& the team) so much for this latest release. Yipee!! Wayhaaay! It's just SO much faster – it's now actually useable for playback. Before it took so long to switch podcasts (especially if there was another app open like panucci or a web browser) that I couldn't use it to select podcasts to play. I'd end up using Panucci to select the podcasts, then file manager to delete them. Then of course when I wanted to download episodes and tidy up with gpodder, it didn't know that I'd played anything.

But now... I can just select episodes from gpodder and it knows what I've played. Oh happy day. BTW, did I mention that I REALLY like this release?

Now for some feedback....

I found the views menus have some issues.
The 'Show Deleted' actually showed ALL of the episodes, not just the deleted episodes. Similarly the 'Show All' seems to show all EXCEPT deleted. The functionality is fine once I got used to it, I just think the descriptions are misleading/confusing. Can I suggest renaming:
'Show all episodes' to 'Hide deleted episodes' and
'Show deleted' to 'Show all episodes' .

The 'Downloaded episodes' view shows Downloaded AND New. I can see this would be a useful view when selecting episodes to download but the name is confusing as I expected just a list of podcasts I could play. Perhaps this could be renamed to 'Current episodes' or just 'New and downloaded episodes'
Please also add a view that does show just the episodes that have been downloaded and are present – that would be useful when listening to episodes and using gpodder to select them.

The 'Unplayed Episodes' view is almost identical to the 'Downloaded episodes' view. The only difference I could see is that episodes marked 'prohibit deletion' are not shown. Otherwise, the downloaded (played, unplayed, deleted in other apps) and new episodes are shown in both views.

'Hide podcasts without episodes' seems to have a bug. I expected it to hide podcasts in the left pane which do not have any downloaded episodes (ones without a count number in the left pane). I assume the name is misleading as I can't imagine anyone would produce a podcast feed that does not have any episodes at all.

Remove episodes. I think this should preselect episodes previously deleted outside gpodder eg those deleted with file manager. These seem to be marked as a music note with a hollow small X.

Originally Posted by thp View Post
The "Select All" and "Select None" are now in the application menu that you can access by pressing the titlebar. I figured that would save screen space and be more in line with the rest of the Maemo 4 UI...
gPodder 2.0 has many nice options hidden in the title bar menu... if you have an idea how we can make this more obvious, please tell me.
The sub menu is not obvious – it's not intuitive that the options on the title bar change, at least not to me – I've never come across an app that does this. To make it obvious that something's different, you could somehow visually change the title bar eg make the title bar reverse video or put a box around it. However, I think a couple of other options might be better yet:
  1. Move the 'Never download' into the submenu and use that freed up button for 'More options', which would then pull down the submenu.
  2. Make a long press on an episode pop-up the submenu. I know the options apply to the whole list and not just the selected item, but that should be obvious and the interface would be more consistent with other screens.
Sorry for the long post - as Winston Churchill once said, I didn't have time to write a shorter letter.

Once again, EXCELLENT job. Congratulations.

Vic

PS Let me know if you want any of this entered as bug reports, I couldn't find any, but that could just me my search terms didn't pull them up.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vjones777 For This Useful Post:
For which types of files does this happen (which file extension)? If you can provide an URL to a RSS feed, I could try it.
I'll do that one better and provide an opml. It's only 6 feeds

You can access the advanced config editor by opening the preferences dialog and pressing Fullscreen-Fullscreen-Plus-Minus-Plus-Fullscreen. There you can set the "videoplayer" variable. And yes, as danramos already pointed out, this might not be the best solution. I'll think of a better way to access the advanced configuration dialog for the next version
Holy cr*p you were serious! This actually does open the advanced prefs screen!
Attached Files
File Type: txt myfeeds.opml.txt (1.6 KB, 129 views)

The "Select All" and "Select None" are now in the application menu that you can access by pressing the titlebar. I figured that would save screen space and be more in line with the rest of the Maemo 4 UI.
AH! I think my problem was that I was running in fullscreen mode and the new window opened in fullscreen so the title bar was of coure hidden. Really, it was unexpected for me that there was one there at all--I'm just not used to that behavior. Now that you mentioned this, I went back and discovered title bar menus on other pop-up windows, like Episode Details and Podcast Settings. If I have any further thoughts on this, I'll post them.

I'll have a look at this. Thanks for your feedback
Thank you! Now that multi-select is here, I'm really looking forward to really using it!

The Following User Says Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by deter3 View Post
I am wondering whether we can have an option of choosing which format for downloading youtube in new 2.0 version . The download speed from youtube is slow for me and I need small size download in 0.17 , which takes less time . Or can you share 0.17 version deb file with me ? Thanks !
Please file this as feature request as http://bugs.maemo.org in the "Maemo Extras", "gPodder" product. Thanks

Originally Posted by vjones777 View Post
I found the views menus have some issues.
The 'Show Deleted' actually showed ALL of the episodes, not just the deleted episodes. Similarly the 'Show All' seems to show all EXCEPT deleted.
Yep, that's how it works. This was also discussed throughly in the gPodder bug tracker. We settled with this. If you have a better menu structure, please say so (while keeping the labels reasonably short).

The idea for "Show all" is that this is the default, and deleted episodes should really be deleted. "Show deleted" then will show the deleted episodes, too (in addition to "all"). From a code perspective, "show deleted" is "no filter", "show all" is "hide deleted", etc.. You might have noticed that what ever the filter is, "new" episodes are always shown, even in the "unplayed" setting.

For Maemo 5, this is going to be even more radical, as the radio buttons (example screenshot) do not allow for any more text, so it is most likely going to be "Deleted | All | Downloaded" there :/

Again, anything that has short text and makes more sense is gladly accepted Good UI design is hard.

The functionality is fine once I got used to it, I just think the descriptions are misleading/confusing. Can I suggest renaming:
'Show all episodes' to 'Hide deleted episodes' and
'Show deleted' to 'Show all episodes' .
See above for the details, especially the link to the bug report with the discussion on this. Also, "Hide deleted" does not fit in the Fremantle UI (but of course that's less important for the Maemo 4 UI).

The 'Downloaded episodes' view shows Downloaded AND New. I can see this would be a useful view when selecting episodes to download but the name is confusing as I expected just a list of podcasts I could play. Perhaps this could be renamed to 'Current episodes' or just 'New and downloaded episodes'
Please also add a view that does show just the episodes that have been downloaded and are present – that would be useful when listening to episodes and using gpodder to select them.
For this special use case, we're currently thinking of implementing a "All podcasts" view (that will have said "unplayed only" feature) or a "search episodes" dialog that will also allow you to have a filter for unplayed episodes (and also allow you to sort by date, etc..). The discussion for this happens here, so you might read the current discussion and add your comments there, that would be helpful and help shape this feature for future versions.

The 'Unplayed Episodes' view is almost identical to the 'Downloaded episodes' view. The only difference I could see is that episodes marked 'prohibit deletion' are not shown. Otherwise, the downloaded (played, unplayed, deleted in other apps) and new episodes are shown in both views.
Unplayed episodes hides podcasts and episodes that have been played from within gPodder (and have their "new" mark removed). It can be used as a play queue, but this only works if "new" episodes are downloaded or marked as old ("new" episodes are always shown).

'Hide podcasts without episodes' seems to have a bug. I expected it to hide podcasts in the left pane which do not have any downloaded episodes (ones without a count number in the left pane). I assume the name is misleading as I can't imagine anyone would produce a podcast feed that does not have any episodes at all.
The "hide podcasts without episodes" hides all podcasts that do now show any episodes in the current view (so it depends on the setting of the options). Again, the title is kept short, a better title would be "Hide podcasts that will not show any episodes in the episode list with the current filter settings", but that does not fit the screen.

Remove episodes. I think this should preselect episodes previously deleted outside gpodder eg those deleted with file manager. These seem to be marked as a music note with a hollow small X.
Please file this as a feature request on bugs.maemo.org.

The sub menu is not obvious – it's not intuitive that the options on the title bar change, at least not to me – I've never come across an app that does this. To make it obvious that something's different, you could somehow visually change the title bar eg make the title bar reverse video or put a box around it.
  1. Move the 'Never download' into the submenu and use that freed up button for 'More options', which would then pull down the submenu.
A new window is opened for the episode shownotes dialog and the podcast edit dialog, so I think it can be expected that the menu changes. I agree that some options from the menu could be exposed as buttons in the dialog for easier access. Feel free to come up with a list of most-used items and I can put these in the dialog.

1. Make a long press on an episode pop-up the submenu. I know the options apply to the whole list and not just the selected item, but that should be obvious and the interface would be more consistent with other screens.
Pressing once on an episode already brings up the submenu for this episodes with all options - or do you mean download-specific options like "Pause"/"Resume"?

Thanks for your feedback and attention to detail, it's really appreciated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I also noticed there's a bunch of m3u's in the gpodder folder. They would be GREAT if only they were in reverse order (oldest first, newest last). The current order is useless since I'd end up listening to my podcasts in the reverse order.
Bugzilla, please

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Bugzilla, please
Filed it as bug 529 at bugs.gpodder.org

Danke!

Tags
media, podcasts