Posts: 23 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
There's going to be a Mobile Geeks of NY meetup at the Nokia Flagship store on Sept 22nd! Here's the facebook event page. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=150222628054

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thenokiablog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
^ the s60 events are quite fun, there is usually some give aways like t-shirts etc. On the 22nd there will be quite a few N900's available to play around with apparently.

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
What about a Maemo user map ? e.g: http://www.flippinsweetdude.com/maps/index.php
I think the map idea is really great! Certainly would give visibility to those with the N900 (I would think a rarefied group initially, to be sure), and the growth of the "movement". I personally look forward to it, as a user and champion of the hardware... as I was locally for the N800 before it.

Future user (per pre-order) in San Luis Obispo, CA

Thor

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
With location aware devices, good penetration of OpenStreetMap apps, popular apps with a location angle like OMWeather available for all devices, Ovi SDK with a focus on maps, maemo.org profiles... there should be defitely a way to map this community visually and in real time.

Who has ideas to brainstorm?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
we have all the pieces sure,
a simpler short term method could be to allow talk.maemo.org to list members grouped by their location.

qgil and I both have our approx location plumbed into the settings here and I know lots of others do.
it could be enough to know there are 20 active members from our country who might be coerced into a get together.
can make it finer grained as required and with high res data as people see fit?

make a posh map later on once we know the proof of concept works?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
There was a feature request by bergie in the midgard2maemo project about this: https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/ind...d=106&atid=460

Now replace "developer" for "user", and update it with the latest technologies. Also, would be nice introduce t.m.o in the formula.

It looks how a more long-term project than just a map with people's location, but it could be refined to a more concise plan.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
I would piggyback off of any linux users groups in your area. Perhaps suggest to them to have maemo as a topic one month and see who else is really interested.

If there are no linux users groups you are probably SOL. Though if there was a MaemoCon in the US like the general linux conferences around the states I would probably go.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
It is not possible to search through the memberlist for certain location. And NYC is big ofcourse. If you'd have put NYC in topic title chances are higher other members would have read.