Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
My own internal 4GB SDHC that I've been using since mid-2007 to boot from and for swap and dozens of other people's similar arrangements on both N800s and N810s.
I've had one card die while in normal use inside my 770 and another two in the N800 (none on the N810 so far), but I have no idea why or what conclusions can be drawn from that, other than it's made me a bit more paranoid I guess ;-)

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Actually, it IS better to have all these on one big device, as the wear is then spread across more flash blocks
Maybe bigger device == wear spread across more blocks, but isn't this offset by more blocks == higher probability of some going bad? Either way, I'd prefer to keep things that cause lots of erase/write cycles out of the soldered-on chip.

Anyway, if this was a real problem, we'd be flooded with N810 users with dead internal cards by now
Oh, I'm not worried about it dying while still in warranty (all N810s are still < 2 years old).

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
ext3 has been shown to be the superior FS many times. This is a pretty good writeup on why. The article specifically mentions is lower power consumption. Always handy in a mobile device.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3
Compared to ReiserFS & XFS, which is irrelevant here. Compared to ext2 it should use slightly more power because of the journal (otherwise they're the same fs).

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by patstew View Post
Is this definitely the case? The reason I ask is that looking at http://mos.futurenet.com/techradar/c..._12-420-90.jpg and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Types-usb_new.svg it looks like the N900 has a micro-B socket. USB-OTG devices are required to have a micro-AB socket (a square one without the bevelled corners). If it doesn't take micro-A plugs, then either it doesn't support host mode, or it doesn't comply to standards, or wikipedia is wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...-AB_Socket_OTG
The N900 doesn't support USB host mode and the limitation comes at hardware level. Igor Stoppa and myself provide more details at http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...er/020830.html

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Aperture Science, Inc.
WHAT?

Does that mean it's impossible to use any USB periphery with the n900 - not even with power injection?

All previous NITs had this feature. USB support missing on the n900 would be a huge letdown.

Last edited by quingu; 2009-09-20 at 21:05.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The N900 doesn't support USB host mode and the limitation comes at hardware level. Igor Stoppa and myself provide more details at http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...er/020830.html
Isnt the issue that it cant provide power for the USB device. What about independently powered drives which dont rely on the USB host to power. I may have misread the issue.

Originally Posted by quingu View Post
WHAT?

Does that mean it's impossible to use any USB periphery with the n900 - not even with power injection?

All previous NITs had this feature. USB support missing on the n900 would be a huge letdown.
Holy S**t, please don't tell me I can't attach a self powered external HD (or ANY other self powered USB device) to the N900, it was really something I was looking to...
reading the link posted by qgil I didn't get if the problem is with the power of the device of incompatibility between USB hardware and the USB consortium rules... in this last case, wouldn't there have been the same problems with the previous internet tablets??

or is the "support" word being used as "officially supported" by Nokia, not providing the Host mode out of the box?

One totally different thing:
the N900 has a IR port; I have a Nokia 6630 since some years, and I *never* felt the need in a IR port having it bluetooth; what should I use a IR port for? anybody can illustrate me some uses for this? thanks in advance.
(hey, not complaining for a extra feature in this case, just curious )

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South east, UK
One totally different thing:
the N900 has a IR port; I have a Nokia 6630 since some years, and I *never* felt the need in a IR port having it bluetooth; what should I use a IR port for? anybody can illustrate me some uses for this? thanks in advance.
(hey, not complaining for a extra feature in this case, just curious )
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=irreco

Last edited by sk299; 2009-09-21 at 14:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to sk299 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by thecursedfly View Post
Holy S**t, please don't tell me I can't attach a self powered external HD (or ANY other self powered USB device) to the N900, it was really something I was looking to...
reading the link posted by qgil I didn't get if the problem is with the power of the device of incompatibility between USB hardware and the USB consortium rules... in this last case, wouldn't there have been the same problems with the previous internet tablets??
USB consortium has strict rules for many aspects, including connectors. AFAIK, the previous tablets don't suffer this problem because they don't charge through USB port and, although they don't support USB host mode out of the box, a patch is available through the community.

Ah so the reason why it wouldn't support USB host mode is because you can now charge the n900 over USB..

Bah, that's an awful tradeoff if so. I want both (it's useful being able to plug my flash drives into my n800).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Now this is one thing I am dissapointed to hear.

Lack of MMS, smaller screen etc were ok and not something I would quibble over.
But lack of any USB Host mode seems like a real loss to me.
If its going to be my mobile computer, I would definitely need USB host so as to attach portable media (HDD) to it etc.

I thougt GA said he was sure USB Host mode would be supported via the host cable or something ... but Quim seems to lay to rest such an idea.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
I thougt GA said he was sure USB Host mode would be supported via the host cable or something ... but Quim seems to lay to rest such an idea.
My endless optimism is endlessly punished by Nokia.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post: