Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Unless you have a smartphone or a Sidekick, you probably CAN'T receive emails on your device. Most carriers in developed countries allow unlimited or high amounts of messaging, which includes MMS, but meter data sent via email. MMS is limited, but the device and the network usually decides the file limitations, such as filetypes and size. My carrier's MMS system automatically resizes photos when sending, significantly saving data. Even the iPhone downsizes images when emailed from the device! So its like a forced MMS system.
I guess this then highly depends on the country. For instance in Finland it's often vice versa: you can get a flat rate data deal, while the vast majority of deals have a per-message price for SMS/MMS (and MMS being higher in price). Which of course makes email/IM much more attractive than MMS usage.

I for instance have a flat rate 3g data for 10 euros per month.

SMS and MMS in general are liked by the operators because of their monetization opportunities: data becomes much more expensive when you turn that into 'MMS data'.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Can I ask what you use MMS for that could not be accomplished via an e-mail from the device? Sending media to another phone that can't view/play e-mail attachments is all I can think of. Isn't the size of an MMS message limited as well?
in addition to everthing that's already been said here:

MMS, like SMS, will make my phone ring/beep/vibrate/... immediately, right after the sender hit the button. email would need to be push-email for this. now given the fact that many handsets don't even support email (or the owner never configured email properly), how many do push email??

it's a different kind of content that goes into MMS. things I want to share now and that have no relevance at all 20mins later.

example?

a friend of mine is single and searching - searching so hard we can't help but make fun of it. - the other week i spotted a group of men in a café that i thought would be interesting for her, so I sent her some pictures by MMS. because it was MMS, she received it instantly and asked for a close up of one of the guys. she got that plus a short video. then she noticed that there was another guy at a table behind them, and she got another picture. etc. etc.

we must have exchanged ~30-50 messages this afternoon, at least 10 of which were MMS with images/videos attached.

that wouldn't have been possible with mail - given that she wasn't home and doesn't have push-mail, she would have seen my first mail only hours later. no way to say "oh, please give me a close-up" then.

it's a different quality. it's not only that you get the data through, it's also about when and how it's presented at the other end.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
I guess this then highly depends on the country. For instance in Finland it's often vice versa: you can get a flat rate data deal, while the vast majority of deals have a per-message price for SMS/MMS (and MMS being higher in price). Which of course makes email/IM much more attractive than MMS usage.

I for instance have a flat rate 3g data for 10 euros per month.

SMS and MMS in general are liked by the operators because of their monetization opportunities: data becomes much more expensive when you turn that into 'MMS data'.
Same here. 10 EUR flat rate 3G data. 10 EUR flat rate SMS. I know which one I picked...

And honestly, I don't see why MMS would be free or cheap when max speed is GPRS...

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sweden
MMS !
here in North Europe ( Scandinavia) I would grade MMS..........yesterday.
too expensive and I never use it, why when I can email or file transfer for FREE when using my ( turbo)3G account. but I can understand that MMS can play a role in areas where Mobile Broadband is not yet all over the place, or the receiver not having email in the mobile device.

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by McChicken View Post
MMS !
here in North Europe ( Scandinavia) I would grade MMS..........yesterday.
too expensive and I never use it, why when I can email or file transfer for FREE when using my ( turbo)3G account. but I can understand that MMS can play a role in areas where Mobile Broadband is not yet all over the place, or the receiver not having email in the mobile device.
Most plans I've looked at comes with X amount of free SMS/MMS (usually within the same provider, some to all). And I can say for sure none of my friends got push email configured on their phones, which is why I prefer MMS, and I use it several times a week. (The circle of friends without push is students at the closest thing we got to computer science here at the Royal Institute of Technology :P)
Most do have email on their phones, but as I said, without push.

Also, what provider gives you unlimited data for a reasonable price here in .se? :+

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by frals View Post
Also, what provider gives you unlimited data for a reasonable price here in .se? :+
Please contribute .se information in http://wiki.maemo.org/Data_plans

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 150 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
Give me push email any day :P. Me and my partner have blackberries, and we just send emails throughout the day, or instant message. One of the main reasons I'm considering the N900 is its "always on" status. I can get an exchange account for gmail and that's push email, or use imap-idle protocols and get the semi push mail (about 15-40 seconds slower than push). It also allows for always on instant messaging.

I send about 1 message (sms) per week. I really have no need. All my friends have push email or instant messaging on their phone. So I send hundreds of emails a day (or IMs) and make about 1 phone call a day. I'm very data intensive. I think the N900 will make a great "always on" companion! (Blackberry is the best for this, but its OS is SOOO aged, I hate looking at it.) As long as I can get through a day with a battery (or 2) even with GPRS, I'll be happy. I recently turned on the 3G on my blackberry and I get about 6 hours of texting / chatting. Let's see how long I can get with the N900. I do get 14 days trial I doubt it'll disappoint me.

But I would like to have some portrait pages (like calendar, messages and web browsing) as many times I'm walking and I just take a look at the phone to check to see if I have messages even though I have no interest in answering. Or I'm walking and I want to see where I have to go, or verify a time.

Other than that, as long as the phone part keeps a stable connection, and receives calls and SMS I'm happy

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Please contribute .se information in http://wiki.maemo.org/Data_plans
Hey, nice resource ..especially for comparing restrictions!

I made a minor update to the Germany section

The Following User Says Thank You to Withnail For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
You can disable the phone part easily (from the power key) for those moments where you don't want to receive calls/SMS's. Other functions continue to work. So yes, almost turning it into a N810
Thats prety cool. I like the nice nifty things which have gone into the Maemo software. I guess this is what makes Maemo special.

Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
The phone UI appears and asks if you'd like to answer or ignore the call. Answering the call ceases the current operation. Hanging up continues the previous process. Ignoring closes the phone UI and continues with the process at hand.
Does the current process get some sort of "incoming call" notification? For instance, if you're playing Bounce when a call comes in, will Bounce automatically pause?