Active Topics

Notices

The other day, I was thinking about how awesome flipclock (the current version) is. I was thinking, jolouis should make a gas/mileage tracking application. Instead of boring keyboard entry, we can have awesome scroll wheels to enter mileage. Just something to consider

In a side note, I was wondering. Why do the scroll wheels on flipclock move only until 9? Is this by design? imho, it may be better (if you see a point in implementing this) to make the wheels go to 9, but another scroll in the same direction makes them go to 0 again. It would save the (slight) trouble of having to go back in the other direction if a different alarm time was needed.

Good luck with the new version of flipclock! I hope to see it soon!

The Following User Says Thank You to elimoon8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by elimoon8 View Post
The other day, I was thinking about how awesome flipclock (the current version) is. I was thinking, jolouis should make a gas/mileage tracking application. Instead of boring keyboard entry, we can have awesome scroll wheels to enter mileage. Just something to consider
The scroll wheels and awesome graphics of Flip are all thanks to the mighty Ciroip, so praise should be directed to him for the artwork and concepts; I just do the coding behind the scenes ;-) (However I will let this slip about the new version... if you liked the "scrolling digits" before, you're going to LOVE the scrolling digits now ;-) ). As for a gas milage/tracking app, I think that's kind of what Carman is aimed at no? If you can describe the app and what it would do/how it would stand out from something like Carman I could probably put some thought into working on it once I get flip taken care of a bit more... (Hey Ciro maybe we should start our own "Maemo development team"! ;-) )

Originally Posted by elimoon8 View Post
In a side note, I was wondering. Why do the scroll wheels on flipclock move only until 9? Is this by design? imho, it may be better (if you see a point in implementing this) to make the wheels go to 9, but another scroll in the same direction makes them go to 0 again. It would save the (slight) trouble of having to go back in the other direction if a different alarm time was needed.
Each digit scroller has it's own limits based on the time value it's representing; i.e. the first digit scroller will only go between 0-1 in AM/PM mode, and 0-2 in 24 hour mode. The first minutes digit goes from 0-5, etc. It's like that by design so that you don't accidentally select a time that doesn't exist. As for the minutes I could probably make it roll over from 9 back down to 0, but it would require some fininking with the graphics and code that might just end up being more confusing for people (i.e. if you go up from 9 to 0 again, does the "tens minutes" also go up by one? or does it stay the same and it's just the digit that you're on? Then what about the other digits, does it go from 5 back to 0 again if you go up? See the confusion starting to set in?). Just my thought on it though, if you guys think it makes sense then share your thoughts and maybe we can justify it after all...

Good luck with the new version of flipclock! I hope to see it soon!
Thanks! Hope everyone's going to enjoy it when it's ready! (and maybe chip in a beer for Ciro and I ;-) )

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 125 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
I suck at coding which is to say I don't code, and I suck at graphics which is to say I would never get paid for graphics, but you guys seem to have it well under control. I loved the flip-clock the minute I saw it. Nice job! I wish the new version you are talking about works in N900 too
Stupidity is the thing I hate the most.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Italy
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
(Hey Ciro maybe we should start our own "Maemo development team"! ;-) )
Thanks! Hope everyone's going to enjoy it when it's ready! (and maybe chip in a beer for Ciro and I ;-) )
Sure, and we should just take over the world in our spare time...
Just checking in to say that this week Im a bit more busy at work than I thought and give public apologize to J because I could not find the energy to work a bit on the project. I promise to try to set a bit my mind and put some time into during this weekend.

Flip Alarm Clock - 3DMania Theme - Synesthesia - Deluxepain
http://ciroip.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/ciroippolito

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ciroip For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Ciro, have you thought of making a square, full screen, analog clock with brushed gold back plate with roman numeral numbers. Then add a "Big Ben" hourly chime!

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
Ciro, have you thought of making a square, full screen, analog clock with brushed gold back plate with roman numeral numbers. Then add a "Big Ben" hourly chime!
I promise: next time Ill decide to fight the dragon c+sdl Ill make that clock because:
1. sound cool
2. you are a long time flipclock follower and deserve it

What about a portrait mode?
update: I was waiting for the dinner call and I was looking for a pic for a refer for the dan clock and...

I found one with the cleaning guys....
This is the work in progress:
how cool will be to have random mantenance and cleaning on the tablet clock?

Flip Alarm Clock - 3DMania Theme - Synesthesia - Deluxepain
http://ciroip.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/ciroippolito

Last edited by ciroip; 2009-09-25 at 17:17.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ciroip For This Useful Post:
I don't know what I did, but now the screen turns off after 2 minutes even at night mode. It used to dim the blue light and I still could see it in the dark. Not anymore now. I uninstalled the program and reinstalled again, but the problem is still there. Any idea? Thanks.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by racky View Post
I don't know what I did, but now the screen turns off after 2 minutes even at night mode. It used to dim the blue light and I still could see it in the dark. Not anymore now. I uninstalled the program and reinstalled again, but the problem is still there. Any idea? Thanks.
Sounds like you just turned Insomniac mode off... press the "back" button on the tablet (the one that looks like the curly line with an arrow right below the dpad) and a note should pop up saying "Insomniac mode on...". That should get you back to the "dim all night" mode.

Just an update for everyone on the new version of the app... I'm getting damn close here, I've got to get some material over to Ciro and he's gotta have some free time to finish up some graphics work, but as far as the app goes it's pretty close. I've still got to do the clock settings screen, which will allow for a few options to be changed, and figure out how to package up everything so that the autobuilder will compile it and stuff to get it into extras, but that shouldn't be too difficult; the alarm stuff is just about done, I'm putting the finishing touches on basic alarm handling now, but I'll post up with more details once we're close to a beta release!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
It works, thanks a lot.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
When its released as a beta, are we still going to be using the pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre release thread?

Tags
clock, flip clock