Originally Posted by Team C View Post
Looks like it still is there to me under other phones
http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/addons/....mc_t=OnsiteAd
The confusion is arising because tmobile started to detect unlocked phones and tried to force those users into a more expensive smartphone ($25)plan.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Oregon
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
The confusion is arising because tmobile started to detect unlocked phones and tried to force those users into a more expensive smartphone ($25)plan.
Exactly, it sounds like the N900 would need to be hacked so that the device registers on the network as a dumb phone under a different IMEI number.

I asked this in the Maemo 5- Apps you want in thread. But Is it possible to hack the phone and switch the IMEI # with another Nokia dumbphone that I have but do not use anymore? I thought there used to be an app like that for S60.

Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post
PhAndroid has a rumor for X3 in Jan. Sholes in pretty definite for Oct.
Hmmm... the new pix of the X3 are out, and somehow I'd assumed that it had a keyboard. If so, it isn't pictured.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
isn't the x3 the featurephone announced at NW09? Its a slider, that's why you don't see the keys.
http://gdgt.com/nokia/x3/images/

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ MA, USA
I just called T-mobile and spoke to a customer support rep. He explained to me that the difference between the $10/mo data plan and the $24/mo smartphone plan (sans unlimited messaging) is that the cheap plan is for dumb phones and doesn't actually provide direct internet access. The phone requests pages through a proxy that generates images of the pages and sends those to the phone. I don't know how javascript or Flash would work with such a scheme. Can anyone verify this?

Originally Posted by rjcooke View Post
I just called T-mobile and spoke to a customer support rep. He explained to me that the difference between the $10/mo data plan and the $24/mo smartphone plan (sans unlimited messaging) is that the cheap plan is for dumb phones and doesn't actually provide direct internet access. The phone requests pages through a proxy that generates images of the pages and sends those to the phone. I don't know how javascript or Flash would work with such a scheme. Can anyone verify this?
The representative doesn't understand how proxies work. While I can't verify if port 80 is transparently proxied (probably is if for no other reason than to cache images for bandwidth savings), you get the "real" page on the device. I've tethered my N800 with my t-mobile $10 data-plan phone and it works just fine.

I suppose if I was *really* bored I could do a netstat dump while I was surfing to see how the sockets were connecting, but I'm not that bored yet

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
funny fact:
t-mobile austria currently offers this little data option:

Name:  klax_webwalk.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  7.7 KB

Source

that's right, 10 MEGABYTES for 5 Euros. and 6€ for every following megabyte.
but hey, at least you get a free mailaddress

to put things a bit in perspective, this is the data option for the plan-less KLAX service. you activate it for 30 days, one-time payment without contract.
there's another prepaid data service, 1GB for 20€, but you get a different sim-card for that.

if you wanna go prepaid with the n900 on t-mobile in austria though, and use it for voice calling as well, the first one is your only choice

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
funny fact:
t-mobile austria currently offers this little data option:

Attachment 4142

Source

but hey, at least you get a free mailaddress

to put things a bit in perspective, this is the data option for the plan-less KLAX service. you activate it for 30 days, one-time payment without contract.
there's another prepaid data service, 1GB for 20€, but you get a different sim-card for that.

if you wanna go prepaid with the n900 on t-mobile in austria though, and use it for voice calling as well, the first one is your only choice
Wow, totally braindead. They should call this plan WAP'n Walk as you can't do much more with it.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post

if you wanna go prepaid with the n900 on t-mobile in austria though, and use it for voice calling as well, [this] is your only choice
Well, if you want to go prepaid with the N900 on T-Mobile in the USA--data and voice--you're simply out of luck. The only T-Mobile USA prepaid plan with data is "Sidekick Prepaid". It's $1/day (whether used or not), $0.15/minute voice, and T-Mobile USA has begun cracking down to prevent non-Sidekick devices from using it.

If you're willing to give up 3G, you can use your N900 prepaid in the US on AT&T's network. There, you can buy 1 MB/month for $4.99 or 100 MB/month for $19.99. Beyond that, it's $10 per 1 MB.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post: