Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
I've pushed the first test version of gPodder 2.0 for Fremantle to Extras-Devel. The autobuilder liked it, and so it should be available the next time you update your apt cache for Extras-Devel.

You can read about some of the changes to the UI.

If you upgrade from an older version of gPodder, it's best to start afresh by removing the gpodder.conf file in $HOME (in the X Terminal, type: rm ~/.config/gpodder/gpodder.conf), so it gets re-initialized with sane default values on the next start. Before the next start, you should move your downloads folder to MyDocs/Podcasts (if your downloads are in /home/user/gPodder-Downloads, type in X Terminal: mv ~/gPodder-Downloads ~/MyDocs/Podcasts).

If you don't care about your old subscriptions, downloads and settings, you can use the command "gpodder-backup --purge" to remove all downloads and settings (be careful! ).

After that, you should be good to go. Some of the new features you should try out and tell me if they work on the device:
  • Automatic screen rotation (Portrait mode)
  • YouTube user channels (e.g. NokiaConversations or Rocketboom)
  • Filters in the AppMenu (podcast/episode list)
  • Visiting URLs (should open in web browser)
  • Opening audio and video files (should open in media player)

The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Whoah, that portrait mode is quite nice, even with main menu support. Good work!

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Looking great Thomas! Did you see Marcelo's suggestions on your Flickr set?

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Did you see Marcelo's suggestions on your Flickr set?
No, I did not. Thanks for bringing this to my attention Will have a look at them.

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Some suggestions:
  • Pressing the "Subscribe" button should have an option to add from a URL. I know it's in the menu of the main screen, but if the user see "Subscribe - Add new podcasts" I would say the user hopes to do it from an URL too.
  • The entry in the dialog to add a podcast from URL shouldn't be uppercase. Generally you want to write something starting with http.
  • It would be great a menu to mark multiple episodes as new (and even an option to mark a complete podcast).
    When you add a new podcast, Gpodder only marks the last as new, but frequently you haven't listened more episodes, and an easy way to mark them as new without having to go episode by episode would be good.
    Also in this line, the same option to mark multiple episiodes as old.

Otherwise, looks very nice and simple. Good work!

I'll be writing bug reports later if these ideas makes sense to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by yerga View Post
Pressing the "Subscribe" button should have an option to add from a URL. I know it's in the menu of the main screen, but if the user see "Subscribe - Add new podcasts" I would say the user hopes to do it from an URL too.
Yes, that's a good idea. I will consider it for the next version.

The entry in the dialog to add a podcast from URL shouldn't be uppercase. Generally you want to write something starting with http.
This is actually a problem with the Hildon Input Method trying to be smart. I always deactivate the "capitalization" in the input menu in OS2008. Is it possible to change the entry so that capitalization (and maybe even word completion) is disabled for it? That'd be nice.

It would be great a menu to mark multiple episodes as new (and even an option to mark a complete podcast).
When you add a new podcast, Gpodder only marks the last as new, but frequently you haven't listened more episodes, and an easy way to mark them as new without having to go episode by episode would be good.
Also in this line, the same option to mark multiple episiodes as old.
I have been thinking of doing this, but have not yet gotten around to do it. It would also be nice for actions such as Download and Delete. Please file me a bug report so I don't forget about this

I'll be writing bug reports later if these ideas makes sense to you.
Yes, please do.

Looks great and works ok.
I tried the youtube channel feature and no issues to report after this quick test.

I would like to see a "play" icon somewhere instead of having to hit the menu...(took me a while to figure it out actually).

//K

The Following User Says Thank You to Kee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Finland
Sweet, I love the new interface

Some ideas that came from quik testing:
  • Automatically download and keep the latest episode of each podcast. Maybe the "Download" button should be "Update" and should do just that..?
  • Automatically delete all older listened-to episodes. Maybe add a "keep" -toggle button on episode view to keep specific one for later
  • Play (and maybe that "keep") actions could be in a toolbar in episode view..? The menu is a bit cumbersome for such often used function.

The Following User Says Thank You to tigert For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by thp View Post
This is actually a problem with the Hildon Input Method trying to be smart. I always deactivate the "capitalization" in the input menu in OS2008. Is it possible to change the entry so that capitalization (and maybe even word completion) is disabled for it? That'd be nice.
http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/g...set-input-mode for C (don't know the Python equivalent, sorry). (I'm horrible and just set HILDON_GTK_INPUT_MODE_FULL | HILDON_GTK_INPUT_MODE_DICTIONARY but you can use a bitwise operation to just unset HILDON_GTK_INPUT_MODE_AUTOCAP. Don't ask me how (you probably know anyway...); I suck at this. )

Nice work, thanks! I know I said I don't listen to Podcasts (and this still holds true, currently) but after looking at gPodder 2.0; I must re-evaluate that opinion.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-09-23 at 13:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Just a quick update: gPodder 2.0 has landed in Maemo Extras Your feedback and features requests will be considered for future releases, some if the changes and ideas have already made their way into the Git repository. Thanks again for testing and giving feedback and please continue reporting bugs at the Maemo bug tracker.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:

Tags
fremantle, gpodder, maemo 5, not android, podcast, testing