Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
How do we know that the bugs and "fixed in Fremantle" situation that occurred with Diablo and the n8x0 NITs won't be repeated with Fremantle and the N900?
Realistically it probably will, at least for GUI components/apps which are effectively EOL due to the switch to Qt.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by qole View Post
For other things openness is much more important. If you were to ask, like lardman, "So how do I auto-focus the camera in Fremantle," and you got, "you'll have to wait for us to reveal that info," you might have more of a valid complaint against closed source components then...
Well..., a more likely question is, what if we report a bug in the auto-focusing for the camera in Fremantle, and the response is "Fixed in Harmattan"?

Isn't there a valid complaint, not against closed source components per se, but against that somehow, some way, even with this mostly open source software, we still find ourselves on an upgrade path similar to what would be for closed devices?

I mean buy a 770 in 2005, a N800 in 2006, and a N810 in 2007. Now a choice to buy a new N900 in 2009, but none of the prior apps will work on the N900 and Fremantle will not work on any of the prior devices. Each OS is tied to particular hardware, and each device is tied to a particular OS. And the same thing for the next generation. And we can't even fix the bugs left from the previous generations! This is the kind of stuff that open source is supposed to save users from and yet we have this predicament (or is it a conundrum?).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
lol, nice thread tags, guys.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
lol, nice thread tags, guys.
Ok, and admins do nothing against thos tags insulted me ans my convictions.

Conviction that are the basis of the free software movement, without which you would not have your Nokia NIT. (and many other things)

Who is the coward who made these tags?

Last edited by korbé; 2009-09-22 at 23:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to korbé For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I agree these tags are disrepectful. This was a topic for a long thread a while ago.

A short comment after breakfast and before picking the train to the office.

Open media players. Let's take into account that Nokia profits bring the cash to fund INdT, who then develops independently Canola under GPLv3.

And then you have many free software developers hired by Nokia and getting a decent salary thanks to its business. They work hard during office hours on open/closed stuff and then they can relax at home and work in their free time on the pet projects they prefer e.g. https://garage.maemo.org/projects/mplayer/ or https://garage.maemo.org/projects/ukmp/

I could go on with more Nokia employees, developer partners and community developers that are being directly or indirectly benefiting from the Nokia business and putting effort to improve multimedia software. The long tail is long, and it's the same in other software areas.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I keep wondering what the firebrands hope to accomplish with the anti-Nokia ranting. Are you hoping to sway developers from the Maemo devices? You might pick off one or two with your barbs, but then, they wouldn't have been very committed in the first place.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
I agree these tags are disrepectful.
That's why I pointed them out.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
A short comment after breakfast and before picking the train to the office.

Open media players. Let's take into account that Nokia profits bring the cash to fund INdT, who then develops independently Canola under GPLv3.

And then you have many free software developers hired by Nokia and getting a decent salary thanks to its business. They work hard during office hours on open/closed stuff and then they can relax at home and work in their free time on the pet projects they prefer e.g. https://garage.maemo.org/projects/mplayer/ or https://garage.maemo.org/projects/ukmp/

I could go on with more Nokia employees, developer partners and community developers that are being directly or indirectly benefiting from the Nokia business and putting effort to improve multimedia software. The long tail is long, and it's the same in other software areas.
I think we can yell it from the top of our lungs and it's just not going to matter with someone like him, unfortunately. It's all stuff that we've explained time and time again and instead of him saying "well, they're making efforts to open things further"... Nokia and the community get accused of being against free software.

Everyone here... especially you, Quim... would ideally want everything to be open source. The reality of the situation is that it isn't always possible for one reason or another and I wish he would understand that, or at least accept it and not go nuts on us suddenly. It's no excuse for being so disrespectful though, even if he was towards us.

Still, dealing with him is better than being accused of backroom deals and corporate takeovers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by R-R View Post
How about: Nokia makes an ethical/public notice saying that we will release FOSS version 1 year from the binary for very specific bleeding edge stuff... That doesn't solve the trust issue but at least it gives us confidence that they really are doing it to preserve their research/market advantages and nothing else.
I agree in principle but not to details. 1 year is too short IMO. 2, maybe 3... it really depends on the product's intended lifecycle and where the long tail begins...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
...but none of the prior apps will work on the N900....
...actually, many of them do, even without a recompile, just not extremely well, due to newer libraries, different UI, etc. Many of them have been modified in very minor ways to get them working better with the new UI and changed hardware, and they are already sitting in the Fremantle repositories.

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I think we can yell it from the top of our lungs and it's just not going to matter with someone like him, unfortunately. It's all stuff that we've explained time and time again and instead of him saying "well, they're making efforts to open things further"... Nokia and the community get accused of being against free software.

Everyone here... especially you, Quim... would ideally want everything to be open source. The reality of the situation is that it isn't always possible for one reason or another and I wish he would understand that, or at least accept it and not go nuts on us suddenly. It's no excuse for being so disrespectful though, even if he was towards us.

Still, dealing with him is better than being accused of backroom deals and corporate takeovers.
I sincerely apologize if I have been disrespectful.
when I spoke of anti-FOSS I was not talking about the community but some members.

Note: however, I'm still not convinced of the need for proprietary software.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to korbé For This Useful Post:

Tags
balance, basic rights, defective by design, get your stink on, gpl holy crusade, open source, open source advocacy, sw wants to be free, try to correct an error, why isn't the gpl law?!, zealots be here