Posts: 21 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Moscow/Berlin
livefreeordie
quotation is pretty accurate

but market of mobile devices and market of desktop solution isnt connected, even today

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Eldar, you mention "mass market" very often. I believe you use it in the same way that it is used by professionals of this sector e.g. Anssi Vanjoki. You saw him in his Nokia World keynote. Didn't he talk about how Maemo 5 and the N900 relate to the mass market?

I believe Maemo 5 and the N900 are good products for the market that are targeting. But I'm of course explicitely biased.

PS: as a rule of thumb, in the industry "mass market" is at least 10x bigger than what the average talk.maemo.org reader has in mind when typing that term. That's a lesson I learned myself after joining Nokia.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Eldar, you mention "mass market" very often. I believe you use it in the same way that it is used by professionals of this sector e.g. Anssi Vanjoki. You saw him in his Nokia World keynote. Didn't he talk about how Maemo 5 and the N900 relate to the mass market?

I believe Maemo 5 and the N900 are good products for the market that are targeting. But I'm of course explicitely biased.

PS: as a rule of thumb, in the industry "mass market" is at least 10x bigger than what the average talk.maemo.org reader has in mind when typing that term. That's a lesson I learned myself after joining Nokia.
Yes when I think a product is not ready for "mass markets" I think this is almost the same as when a product "does not reasonably conform to the ordinay buyers expectations" (i.e., implied warranty of merchantability), which is a very serious thing since it means it is junk.

The Following User Says Thank You to jandmdickerson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
I was about to post when I stumbled across Eldar posting here; dang it if the dude took all the sense (near-wisdom) that I wanted to post and added data with it.

Eldar, its good that you've stopped through here. The [[lack of understanding and communicating relevantly the] history of how you've done mobile device/service/culture reporting is what started the lapses in emotions in this thread, and yet there will still be some of those lapses remaining because your focus isn't necessarily what some here might aspire to with this type of device. If I could speak Russian, I'd love to sit down with you and pick your brain - even in English, your words/phrases are quite restrained (for good reason).

Mass market - now we are getting to the reason why I'm over at Maemo-Guru writing pieces Things are just so much different on that side of the fence.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
I'm understand when someone dissapointed that someone else have all up-to-date toys. It happens. On my table right now - 2 robots which will be launch later this year, 3 MID, 2 phones, 1 netbook, 2 mp4 players - none of them are announced. And what? If you want to know how to get latest devices trying to be Eldar Murtazin Receipe is so simple. And i wont mention this question about device anymore, no point to discuss

Um I never mentioned being jealous - I really dont give a flying fudge at a rolling donut if you have a levitating fem bot with HD blueray player implanted in her privates on your desk. All I wanted was you to give some indication how you got the device and the firmware installed on it. Since you STILL have not provided either I am treating your review as the blatherings of someone with a stolen device and ancient firmware and as such a complete pile of guano.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by jandmdickerson View Post
Yes when I think a product is not ready for "mass markets" I think this is almost the same as when a product "does not reasonably conform to the ordinay buyers expectations" (i.e., implied warranty of merchantability), which is a very serious thing since it means it is junk.
We have father, techie, ubergeek
We have son, wannabe techie
We have daughter, can use (and destroy) her laptop
We have mother, can use Outlook
We have grandma, can use her pace maker, clueless

We're now trying to cater to mom.

My point is, after you had the techies there is a hu(uuuuuuu)ge market of non-techies. They're not all the same. Each have their preference, their needs, their interests.

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Since when has over 400€ / $ devices in cellular phone industry been mass-market products anyway? No wonder N900 then seems it is not something for mass markets. Kinda like saying that the cheapest Ferrari must have something wrong with it because clearly it is not ready for the mass markets...
Stupidity is the thing I hate the most.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soulfarmer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post

Um I never mentioned being jealous - I really dont give a flying fudge at a rolling donut if you have a levitating fem bot with HD blueray player implanted in her privates on your desk. All I wanted was you to give some indication how you got the device and the firmware installed on it. Since you STILL have not provided either I am treating your review as the blatherings of someone with a stolen device and ancient firmware and as such a complete pile of guano.
My fem-bot doesn't levitate

Must have old fw........................

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by Michal Jerz
The device, even though the hardware is marked as proto (and called Nxx rather than N900) and the firmware is quite an early one, is ROCK STABLE. This is actually one of the things that amaze me THE MOST. I got the device on Sept 3rd or so, been playing with it DAILY for almost three weeks now, and it didn't crash A SINGLE TIME! I remember that one of the apps froze once, but it was just that app, not the entire system; it was enough to shortly press the Power button and select "Close current task" from the menu. That's it.

It's one of the most stable devices I've ever used, even in its current proto state.
Eldar, maybe you missed it first time round, but do you think its possible you just have a dodgy piece of hardware and maybe your experiences are not indicative of the hardware and firmware in general?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dansus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
I was about to post when I stumbled across Eldar posting here; dang it if the dude took all the sense (near-wisdom) that I wanted to post and added data with it..
I'd love to be able to agree completely with that that but there are just too many kinks between the threads of wisdom.

Now, if he was more forthcoming about the device origins and related matters, along with stopping the grandiose claims and assumptions, we'd be in sync.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
eldar, nokia n900 preview